Naturally Freaky

Darby and Siobhan

Their faces dripping with water and finally free of their painted-on masks, Siobhan and Darby looked into each others' eyes.

"Some show, huh?" Siobhan inquired, having to clear her throat a bit after those few hours of silence.

"Yeah," Darby agreed. She had to clear her throat also, to get back into the infrequently-exercised habit of speaking in the voice of Darby the sixteen-year-old girl as opposed to that of Twinkle the Clown. "I always did like Willa, and she's getting better every time I see her perform."

"A lot of it was in the special effects," Siobhan added. "Having worked around here for so long, nothing really impresses me anymore." Siobhan gave Darby that look, and she understood immediately. For Siobhan's first year at the circus, she worked on the maintenance crew for the freaks—the kind with extra body parts and such—however, she didn't like to talk to about it much. "But my jaw actually dropped wide open when they killed the lights and Willa was doused with glowing paint. I wonder if I don't still have the stuff all over my clothes."

"I imagine it washes out," Darby said. "If not, Willa's gonna be green for a couple weeks."

They laughed, and Darby said, "They did a killer job with that light show at the end. Everything looked like it was going up so dangerously high that, for a while, I was a little scared the whole tent was ready to go up in flames. I wonder how they did it. I'll bet Gallant was in on it."

A corner of her mouth raising, Siobhan said, "Without a doubt. Knowing Gallant, he was probably the mastermind behind the whole, crazy operation. I'll have to remember to ask him about it."

"Don't bother," Darby laughed. "He'd probably just say something like, 'If I told you, I'd have to kill you.'"

Siobhan rolled her eyes and chuckled. "Yeah, that sounds like him. Anyway, it's worth a shot. I'm gonna go back now and ask him before I forget. See you tomorrow, Darby."

"Good night," Darby said, and watched Siobhan duck out of the tent and into the night.