Living Dead Next Door

I've Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth

My alarm clock went off at 6am, I groaned and hid my head under my pillow trying to block the constant ringing, finally it stopped.

I smiled in victory and went back to sleep.

10 minutes later my alarm went off again but even louder, I threw one of my pillows at it but completely missed,

I finally got up knowing that my parents would come in any second and pour a glass of water on me, they usually do that when I don't get up for school.

I ran my hand through my hair and walked to my bathroom, my eyes were still half closed and blurry.

I got to the mirror and my eyes shot wide open, I gasped.

The left side of my face was bruised in the shape of a hand print; Zen must have slapped me pretty hard yesterday.

The bruise wasn't that noticeable, that I was thankful for because I could easily cover it with make-up.

After my shower I walked downstairs to the kitchen, my Mum was at the bench while my Dad was making his famous pancakes, it was a tradition we had, on the first day of each year we sit down together and have Dad's pancakes together.

I sat down and Dad put a glass of Orange Juice in front of me with a plate of pancakes.
"Thanks Dad, hope I can eat it all" I smiled nervously

"Don't be nervous sweetie, everyone at your new school will love you" my Mum put a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"You have to say that, you're my Mother" I put a piece of pancake in my mouth

"Don't talk with your mouth full Sum, and Mum's right" Dad said as he sat down and joined us.

I rolled my eyes and didn't say another word about it, I was right about not being able to eat all my breakfast, Dad makes great food but it's filling.

I went upstairs to my room to brush my teeth and straighten my hair, I touched my face and winced, it hurt a lot,
lucky I looked in the mirror before I went downstairs for breakfast, it would've been hard explaining where the bruise came from.

My uniform looked pretty nice, I stood in the mirror for about 20 minutes examining myself,
"Okay Summer relax, you look fine, everyone will love you...maybe" I muttered to myself as I walked downstairs and out the door into my car.

The drive to school takes about 10 minutes, so I put my music on and drove.

"I wanna be an astronaut, and get high. Break the barrier of sound into the sky, Just want to be free; from the confines of gravity" I was singing along to Confines of Gravity by PlayRadioPlay!

"Has anyone told you you're a pretty good singer Summer" Zenna casually said from my backseat.

I screamed and swerved the car, where the hell did she come from.

"What the fuck are you doing here Zenna?!" she wasn't in the back of the car when I left the house.

"It's called running then jumping into your car, and by the way would you mind driving properly you nearly killed us...well you not me" Zen chuckled to herself

She jumped in the front seat and used the rear view mirror to put lip gloss on.

I kept my eyes on the road, but was a bit distracted by Zenna next to me.

"So..." Zen said as she was looking through my music trying to choose a song

"First day of school, you excited?" She was finally happy with a song and looked at me

"Err...I'm about as excited as any normal high school student" it's hard trying to be calm when a vampire just jumps into your car while you're driving!

Zenna made a face in agreement.

“I take it you’re full of questions about my family?” Zen said staring at me

She was right, I’m dying to as so many questions like how can they be out in the sun? Why can I see their reflections? I wonder if she remembers when she got turned.

“N-no, I mean, why would I?” I shrugged my shoulders.

Zen rolled her eyes.

“relax, I won’t get angry, tell you what after school Cain and I will answer your questions okay?” Zenna said as I drove into the school parking lot.

“I guess s…” I turned my head to Zen, she wasn’t there.

I looked around and saw her walking through the gates of the school.

I watched as Zen walked into school, everyone moved out of her way, the girls would smile and say something about her, while the guys would wink and check her out as she walked past.

I was shocked that one person could make that reaction to the whole entire student body.
I scoffed and shook my head in disbelief.

“Yeah the humans at this school have a thing with following people and sticking to groups, hoping to be friends with the most beautiful person in the school” I jumped at Cains voice next to me.

He smirked, pulled out a cigarette and lit it, I guess vampires don’t have to worry about lung cancer.

Cain smiled at me while walking backwards, he turned around and walked through the gates, everyone there stopped talking straight away,
Cain walked in with so much confidence, most of the girls there twirled their hair and smiled, the guys just nodded their heads as a greeting, Cain nodded back and kept walking.

I took a deep breath and started to walk slowly.

‘Here it goes, okay just breathe’ I kept saying in my head,

No one barely noticed me, except a few girls who would look me up and down and give me a dirty look.

I walked down three different hallways, up and down two flight of stairs and nearly walked into the guys bathroom before I found the office to get my class schedule.

The receptionist smiled and handed it to me, along with a map.

‘Great I’m going to look like a freak walking around with a map’ I decided to not use it,
I didn’t want them to think I was a freshman.

It took me a good 15 minutes until I found my fist class, English. I was standing outside the door not wanting to go in but I held my breath and opened the door…
♠ ♠ ♠
I decided to put her classes in the next chapter because there will be some characters I'm going to introduce...

the title is 'I've Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth by Fall Out Boy'