The Power Of The Mind

Chapter 1

"Ms. Schmidt please repeat what i just said."
I peered into my teacher's head.
"The climax of this story was that the car full of teenagers crashed into a lake." I said repeating her.
She shook her head.
I just don't understand how she can not pay attention in class but how she can get everything perfect. My teacher thought.
I can block out people's minds easily to but normally i just turn the volume down.
The bell rang and i stepped out of my chair. I wasn't really that popular and i just stay around my friends and i have a lot of them but i just don't like being surrounded by people.
I had dark, dark black hair that shined a blue color. My eyes were a dark blue that sparkled and i had pale colored skin. My full name was MayBelle Vanessa Emily Marie Schmidt. Yes my mom loved long complicated names.
"Belle!" My friend Stacy screamed as she hugged me.
Stacy had the most purest thoughts ever.
"Where is Lindsay and Vivian?" I asked her.
"They got in trouble." Stacy frowned. She had short blonde hair that just barely reached her shoulders and green eyes. Lindsay had dyed red hair and blue eyes and Vivian...well Vivian was a trouble maker. She always gets into trouble. She fights a lot to.
The people i mainly hung out with were Lindsay, Vivian, Stacy, Jack, Vinny, Bobby and Britney. Jack had black hair like mine but he had chocolate eyes and his skin was a nice tan color. Vinny was a punk kid. Spiked white hair, hazel eyes and he was Vivian's boyfriend. Bobby was covered with muscles and had light brown hair and dark blue eyes. Britney--like Stacy-- didn't really fit into our group, she was a real prep. She had long blond hair and light brown eyes.
"Don't they always?" I asked.
Stacy just continued to frown. Britney and i were the eldest of the group so we normally drove everyone around. And since today was Friday we were going to a huge party.
"Well we will meet up with them later." I said grabbing Stacy's hand. I pulled Stacy to my car. Jack and Bobby were already there waiting.
Bobby whistled the cat call. And i hissed.
"Meow." Bobby laughed.
I slapped his arm.
Jack laughed softly.
"So did we all stay out of trouble?" Jack asked.
"Well...most of us." Stacy said sadly.
"Lindsay and Vivian?" Bobby asked.
"Yep." I said.
"Well i guess i will call and tell Britney to wait for them." Stacy said pulling out her phone.
"There's no need." Vivian said as the both of them walked up.
"Well go catch up to Britney." Bobby said.
They both hugged Stacy and i, then left.
"Well, lets go." Jack said jumping in the front seat. I had a GT 500 Mustang Ford. Bobby and Stacy took the back seat. I pulled out of the school.
When are those two finally going to get together? Bobby asked himself. Bobby has always thought Jack and i made the perfect couple. I just rolled my eyes.
i pushed my Mustang to go a little faster. I was a awesome driver so nobody had anything to worry about.
We were going out of town to this party. It was the biggest party of the year and everyone went. It was at the Hollow's mansion which is one of the biggest houses in this state.
You would think that because we weren't popular that we wouldn't be going to this party. But we have somebody who gets us in.
Jackson Victor Hollow. Yep, our little Jack was a Hollow. But his sister was the Hollow that everyone knew and worshiped. He had a twin sister who was the most popular girl in the state. Everyone knew the name Marie-Lynne May Hollow. She was a model,got everything she wanted but even better than that she wasn't a stuck-up brat. The Hollow's are known state wide. They are actually the richest people in this state. Both of their parents were actors and models and Mari May was well on her way to becoming like her parents. Jack was more into music than acting and modeling.
I was actually friends with Mari May. She had long black hair like mine but she had the most beautiful green eyes i have ever seen.
Mari May tried to get Stacy and i to model but i completely refused and Stacy never did anything i didn't.
"So, your sister left early to set up the party?" I asked Jack.
"Yep, Mari May and about twenty other people. My parents hired help this year."
"Oh, whats the theme?"
"Its actually a masquerade. We are supplying the masks so nobody can tell who anybody is. It's actually kinda funny how people overreact about the party."
"But you have to dress up don't you?" Bobby asked.
"Yeah. If you aren't dress up Mari May will dress you up and you don't want that. Trust me."
"So, i will drop Bobby and Stacy off first them Jack, you get to hang at my place while i get ready. Then i will pick up Bobby and Stacy after i get ready. It should give you guys enough time to get ready." I said pulling down Bobby's street.
"No!" Stacy yelled. "Jack cant see you in your dress. I refuse to get out of this car until you drop Jack off."
"Fine. Fine." I said smiling.
I dropped Bobby off and then i dropped Jack off at the end of his driveway. His driveway was about a mile long. I would have driven up to his house but he said Mari May wouldn't let anybody see the house until it was ready.
Then i dropped Stacy off then headed to my house.
My dress was a color of blue that matched my eyes perfectly, it split up the middle of the skirt and instead of having shoulder straps it had straps that tied behind my neck. It had black designs of flowers and random designs. I pulled my hair up in a unique design. I put a little bit of make-up.
I picked up Bobby and Stacy. It had taken everyone about two hours to get ready so it was about four o'clock now. We drove to Jack's house. A lot of people were there already. I wasn't shocked. People thought the earlier you got there the cooler you were.
I didn't pick up anything out of the ordinary in any body's thoughts so i didn't have to worry about a thing. We pulled up the long driveway. We made it about a three fourths of the way before we had to stop and get out. There were cars already parked on a fourth of the driveway.
The Mansion had five floors. All the bedrooms were on the top two floors. A huge multi-media room was on the second floor. The second floor was open so you could see most of the first floor. The third floor was restricted like the fourth and the fifth. The third floor was were the kitchen, living room and a family room and gaming room was.
"Belle!" Mari May called as she saw me. She hugged me closely. "Here's your mask. This one i picked just for you." It was a black velvet mask. It looked beautiful. She gave Bobby and Stacy theirs' to.
"Hey Mari May. Where's Jack?" I asked.
"I don't know. He went upstairs a while ago but that the last time i saw him. Well i will see you later. I have to greet everyone else." She gave me a kiss on the cheek and went running for another friend.
We walked into the giant house. The music was basically shaking the house. The whole room was covered with darker colors and the main lights weren't on. They had random lights that shot across the room. There was two long table that stretched across the room.
"This sucks. Everyone is wearing a mask. Belle you wont be able to find Jack." Stacy said sadly.
I searched through the house with my mind. He was in his room looking into the mirror. He looked extremely handsome. He put his mask on and sighed.
Tonight, i have to do it. Of course people don't usually think in sentences its just easier to put them into a sentence.
I had no idea what he meant by that because Stacy took me out of my concentration.
"Come on! Lets dance." She dragged me to the dance floor. I was a awesome dancer. i knew just about every dance move possible.
"Hold on. I am going to go find Jack."
"Aw, come on cant we just have some fun?"
"Fine. One dance. Then i am going to go find Jack."
She giggle. We danced to the song Holiday by Green Day.
"Ok. The song is over. I am going to go find Jack."
"Fine. I am going to find Bobby."
I started going up the stairs when i stopped. I felt a blank spot in somebody's mind. I searched the crowd but there was somebody's mind i couldn't get into. I felt them there, i knew they were in this house but i couldn't get into their actual mind.
Worry about that later. I told myself. Just go look for Jack.
I walked up the stairs, past the second level. The third floor was like the beginning of the actual house. Jack's room was on the fourth floor. I knew this house like the back of my hand, i had visited this house so much. I used to be here everyday, but lately Jack seems distant.
I don't know how to tell her. God, i am so nervous. Jack's thoughts were getting closer.
But strangely so was that blank spot. I could feel them getting closer. Jack was on the fourth floor still but the other person was on the second floor. I suddenly became afraid. I slipped into one of the bathrooms and locked the door.
"What am i doing?" I asked myself.
But i couldn't bring myself to open the door. But i couldn't let Jack meet that person.
Why is that bathroom door closed? Jack asked himself.
I made myself open the door.
"Um...excuse me. Are you lost?" Jack asked.
He wouldn't be able to know it was me.
She's cute. Jack thought to himself.
"N-yeah i am." I smiled nervously.
"Ok, i will show you the way back down. But past the second floor is restricted." Jack said grabbing my hand.
The blank spot started back down the stair. I sighed in relief.
"What's your name?" Jack asked.
I couldn't hold back a giggle.
"What?" Jack asked.
"Nothing." I said shaking my head. "My name is Mary."
"Oh, that's my sister's name."
I smiled. Jack truly was a clueless boy, wasn't he?
"Whats your name?"
"Jack."
Jack lead me down stairs.
"Thank you." I smiled.
"My pleasure. Would you like to dance."
"Sure."
Jack lead me to the dance floor. The song I Don't Want To Be In Love (Dance Floor Anthem) by Good Charlotte was on. We danced but it wasn't awkward like it should have been.
I know this style of dance. I just can't figure out who she reminds me of. Jack thought.
I wasn't trying to get into his head. But when i touch someone the my mind reading ability heightens and i cant ignore people.
Belle! Thats who she reminds me of! Where is Belle? Did she get here yet?
His mind then completely filled with thoughts of me.
The song ended.
"Hey, i am sorry but i have to go find somebody." He said trying to turn away. I grabbed his arm and laughed.
"Who are you looking for?"
"Somebody, very important to me."
"Is it a girl?"
"Yes."
"Does she have black hair?"
"Yes."
"Then you are looking at her."
"I am looking for Belle."
"Jack, its me." I laughed as i slid the mask up.
"Belle!" Jack pulled me close to him. "You are mean."
I laughed
"It was you the whole time?"
"Yep."
"What were you doing up stairs?"
"Looking for you."
"Why did you lock yourself in my bathroom?"
"Thats not important. But anyway do you wanna dance some more?"
"Yes. Of course." I danced with him for two more songs then we went to the side of the room. It was black outside now and the whole high school and probably some middle schoolers along with people who graduated was here.
"Are you having fun?" Jack asked.
"I always do."
"Hey, i need to talk to you."
Just then the blank spot walked close to me. It was actually giving me a headache. I looked around but everyone looked normal. I couldn't pinpoint that person out.
"Could you go upstairs? Its really loud down here."
"Sure."
We walked up stairs. Of course i could hear Bobby cat calling. I looked at him and stuck my tongue out at him. He had one arm around Stacy and one around Britney. When the day came he was going to have to choose between them. I could see Vivian and Vinny and Lindsay was dancing with some guy. They were all having fun. For some reason i didn't think this fun was going too last.
Jack lead me to his bedroom. He had drums and two guitars in his room. He also had posters of all different genres and he had a piano for me in there too. Jack pulled off his mask and i did the same.
"You look beautiful tonight."
"Thank you. I would tell you, you look handsome but i am sure Mari May gave you enough flattering for the both of us."
"Yeah, but i like to hear it from you."
Jack was extremely nervous and i was overly curious but i wasn't going to destroy his privacy like that. Also at the moment i was pushing my gift away because the blank spot was irritating It actually wasn't blank it was more numb. Its like if someone gives you nova cane You knew something was there, you just couldn't feel it.
I sat down on the piano stool and Jack sat down on his bed.
"Belle i really need to talk to you."
"About?"
"Something important to me. But...it comes at a price."
"Jack what is it?"
Jack stood up and helped me up. He pulled me close to him. He slightly picked me up and bent his head down. He pressed his lips to mine. I stood on my toes and kissed him back.
I love you. Why cant i just tell you? Jack thought before his mind went to mush.
I couldn't even focus. I believe that the world was spinning. Then out of nowhere we were falling backward onto Jack's bed. We didn't pull apart until at least five minutes later.
"Now, what was it you wanted to tell me?" I asked pulling away from him.
"I love you." He said smiling. I laid my head on his chest.
"You know we are going to have to go back down soon or else Bobby will be saying that we hooked up.
i wouldn't mind that. He thought.
I wanted to slap him but it would kinda be weird if i didn't have a reason.
I stood up and pulled Jack to his feet.
"Wait, what was that price you were talking about?" I asked looking at him.
"Belle, we cant make ourselves public. You have no idea how much attention you will get. And i know you hate being the center of attention. And you know how my parents would react if they found our we were dating."
"Are we dating?"
"Yes, at least i want to. Belle, i love you. I have always loved you. But you know what would happen if people found out about this."
"i know. But how can we make a relationship work if we cant make it public?"
"I will make it work. If you want."
"Of course i do Jack."
He kissed me gently. It was a quick kiss.
"We cant tell anyone."
I nodded. We let his room and walked down the stairs.
"Finally." Bobby laughed.
I had made sure my hair was perfect and i had put my mask back on.
"I was beginning to think that you two had hooked up." Vinny laughed.
I slapped both of them on the arm.
"Ow." Vinny said. Of course it didn't hurt Bobby.
"You guys are so immature" Stacy said.
"Thats why i hit them." I laughed.
"If you guys didn't hook up, what were you doing up there so long?" Bobby asked.
I shrugged.
"Talking."
"About?" Britney asked.
"Nothing in general." Jack said. He was a good lier. But he could never lie to me. Because when a person lies, no matter who it is, the only thing they are saying in their head is "I'm lying. I'm lying" or "I hope they believe it.".
"Oh." Stacy said.
My headache came back. I looked around. This time i could pin point where the person was.
"Um...guys, i got to go do something. I will see you guys later." I said turning. I walked---well more rushed---away from them and started walking towards the numb spot. My headache grew stronger.
It was a guy of course. But as i walked closer to him, he began to walk outside. He stopped in the backyard about ten feet from the house.
"Who are you?" I asked as he turned around. He was wearing a mask.
"Nobody of importance."
I tried to push into his mind. I was getting a serious migraine.
That won't work. He didn't think that, he sent it into my mind.
I jumped.
"How did you do that?" I asked.
"Thats not important at the moment. I need to tell you something. You aren't the only one who can read minds."
"What?" I tried to put up some sort of guard around my brain. But i didn't know if it was working. I had never actually had to guard my brain against somebody else.
"There are a few other people. But they don't all read minds. Their gifts have to do with the mind. Some can control people, some can move objects with their minds, some can actually change the way you feel."
"But i can do all of those." I said. I quickly covered my mouth. Had i actually just said that?
He just stared at me.
"Thats not possible." He said slowly.
"Listen, i came to this party to have fun. Not to talk to a person who gives me riddles." I said turning around and walking back into the party. I actually did want to know who he was but my head was pounding.
I went looking for Mari May.
"There you are." I said as i walked up to her.
"Hey Belle." Mari May smiled.
"Do you have a Advil or headache medicine?"
"Yeah. Come on, I'll bring you upstairs."
Mari May led me upstairs and away from the loud music.
"The party is really big this year." I said smiling.
"Yeah i know. Thats what is so good about being in High School. There are so many people to invite." She said as we walked into the same bathroom i locked myself in earlier.
She handed me some migraine pills and a glass of water.
"Did you get a headache from the music?" She asked smiling.
"Yeah, something like that."
I gulped down the pills.
"Have you talked to Jack yet?"
"Yeah, i found him earlier."
"Oh good. He wanted to talk to you about something important. But he wouldn't tell me what it was." She frowned.
"Sorry. I cant tell you neither."
"Oh, its fine. I just get worried when Jack keeps secrets from me."
"Don't worry, its nothing bad."
She smiled.
"Well i got to go finish being the host. Hey a bunch of people are staying after words. Stacy, Britney, Vivian, Lindsay, Bobby, and Vinny are staying to. Do you wanna stay?"
"Sure. I will just call my parents."
Mari May gave me a hug and left. I pulled out my cell phone from my purse. I called my house.
No answer.
"Hey mom, dad. I am staying at the Hollow's. I love you." I hung up the phone. I was an only child and it was sort of lonely but i had my friends.
I walked out of the bathroom only to run into someone. Strange that i didn't sense them. I looked up to male. He had bright blonde hair and i believe his eyes were blue. I couldn't tell because of his mask.
"I'm sorry." I said as i went to go around him. But he shoved me into the bathroom and locked the door. "Listen i don't know who you are but-" He cut me off by kissing me.
I tried to push away but he was much stronger than me. But i still pushed.