The Power Of The Mind

Chapter 3

Jamie? Are you there? I asked. I felt strange, like i really was speeding up the process of my death.
Of course i am. I am always here for you.
Can i meet you anywhere? I had to talk to him face to face about my dream.
Where are you?
The Hollow's.
Still? Meet me in their backyard in ten minutes.
Fine. I shut my mind off to him.
My dream still made me shiver. I never was one to dream things like that. My dreams where normally illogical things that usually took place in dreams.
I snuck into Mari May's room and stole a pair of jeans and a tank top. I stripped my dress off and switched it for the clothes that i took. But for some strange reason i chose to put my mask on.
I slowly tiptoed my way down the stairs and made my way to the backyard. I stopped at the back door I stretched my muscles preparing myself for anything. I wasn't completely afraid, just anxious.
I silently pushed the door open and softly shut it. I drug my feet across the grass. I stopped moving about thirty yards from the house. That's just 10 feet back from the woods.
Suddenly i got a alert of a mind being close. It was a guarded mind but it was also an unfamiliar mind. I tried to lock on the mind but instead my mind locked on an object flying at me, fast.
I knew there was no way i could dodge it in time so naturally i stuck my hands up to guard my face. I heard a crunching noise and lowered my hands. There was a bullet right in front of me. It was still rotating at full speed but it was frozen in place. It was as though there was a shield around me. Slowly the bullet began to crunch together.
It dropped to the ground.
"What the Hell?" I asked myself.
"I was about to ask the same question." I looked up at the voice.
It was a beautiful girl. Long blonde hair, tan skin and bright blue eyes. She was almost as beautiful as Mari May.
"Who are you?" I questioned.
"What's more important is who are you?"
"Why would you shoot somebody that you had no idea who they were."
"I felt your power, so i felt the need to kill you. But i didn't know you had that much power. Look what you did to my poor bullet." She whined.
"Apparently your beauty is only skin deep."
"Yup." She said happily.
"Aw, aren't you proud."
"Anyway." She said pulling her gun up. "It's time for you to die." Her gun was a hand pistol and it had a silencer on it but it was a type of gun i had never seen before. It must have been foreign or something.
She shot two bullets. I stretched my arms out and grabbed a hold of both of the bullets with my mind. I clenched my hands into fists and completely smashed the bullets.
She gasped.
"No! You will die!" The wind picked up and whipped our hair around roughly. She shot more rounds at me but the bullets didn't even get a foot close to me before they were turned to dust.
I had never pushed my powers this strong.
"Why are you shooting me?" I asked, slowly walking closer to me. She kept shooting. She quickly reloaded.
"Because, you have the Power of the Mind. I hate all people with this power."
"Why?"
"The way i think about it i am doing you a favor." I stopped walking and she stopped shooting.
"How are you doing me a favor?"
"You don't realize yet, but that power of your's isn't a gift. It's a curse that will kill you." Just like it killed her. I only received that thought because it was a very powerful one.
"I rarely think of this as a gift. I can't stand it. I would rather have a simple life, i would rather live in a simple world but that won't happen. Thats not how things work." I spoke truthfully
She cocked her head at me. Then she shook it.
"Stop using your powers on me!" She said rising her gun up so it pointed at my head.
"I can't use my powers in you. Your mind is guarded, i cant touch it."
"She's protecting me." She whispered.
"Who is?" I asked stepping closer.
"No one." She shot the gun again.
"Won't you learn?" I asked.
"Belle!" Jamie yelled. I looked at him. So did the mystery girl.
"Who is this? A boyfriend?" She asked.
"No!" I yelled but as i yelled 'No!' he said "Yes"
I stared at him.
"It doesn't matter. I feel his power. So he's dead." She took the gun and pointed it at him.
Jamie just looked at the gun. He slowly forced her to face away from him and towards the house. She pointed the gun up at the were a window on the fourth floor was.
Jack! Jamie was going to kill him!
I focused all my energy on the girl. I made her focus back onto Jamie.
"What are you doing?" Jamie asked me.
"What am i doing?! What are you doing?!"
"He's not meant for you. I am."
"I. Do. Not. Want. You." I formed each word into a sentence.
Jamie's mind ripped the gun from the girl's hand and it landed in his hand.
"Jamie, leave. I will not allow you to hurt Jack." I said looking at him and forcing the order into his brain.
"I will leave, for now. But MayBelle, that man will be the death of you."
"Do not call me MayBelle."
He laughed as he left.
"W-what just happened?" The girl asked.
"Nothing. If you want to live you should leave."
I turned and walked back to the house. I heard her almost silent retreat. But instead of coming going inside i walked around the house to the front. I sat down on the front steps. The sun was beginning to rise.
Everyone would be getting up now. I should most likely head in but i don't feel like it, maybe i should just leave. I thought to myself.
See you later Jack, love you. And tell your sister i will bring the clothes back later.
Where are you going? He asked still mainly asleep.
Home. I said as i got in my car. I had left the keys in it. Stupid.
I drove home, i just wanted to go to my house and go to bed. I was sick and tired of everything and i think i was getting a fever. The moment i got home i passed out in my room.
My parents weren't home, as usual. They were always out and busy.
I woke up burning. I stripped away most of my clothes and kicked my blankets off. I took my temp.
"102." I sighed. I took a Advil and laid back down.
I made sure i kept a bucket next to me.
Soon i was in complete agony. I was literally throwing my guts up.
"MayBelle, what's wrong?" My mom asked as she got home.
"Looks like i am sick." I half laughed.
She felt my head.
"MayBelle! You're burning up. You have to go to the hospital."
"No." I moaned as i rolled over.
"You have to, it's very dangerous to have a temp. this high."
"I'm not going anywhere."
"It's either you get in the car this instant or else i will call 9-1-1 for an ambulance."
"No!" I choked. I was deathly afraid of ambulances, i don't know why though.
My mom helped me up and helped me get dressed. She got me and ice pack and a bucket. She basically carried me to the car since i was limp. My whole body ached. It felt as though i was burning from the inside out.
"Oh, MayBelle, your lips are so chapped. This is bad, did you take your temperature?" My mom asked as she sped down the road.
"Yea, when i woke up earlier."
"And it was?"
"102."
"You should have called me."
The rest of the ride was sort of a blur. My mind was aching to. I am pretty sure that i had fallen asleep because the next thing i knew i was in a hospital bed hooked up to a bunch of machines.
"MayBelle." My mom said brushing some of my hair behind my ear.
"Hey mom." My voice was raw. "What happened?"
"You went into a short coma. You had a fever of 107."
"Sorry." I mumbled.
"It's not your fault. Stacy, Jack and Mari May are here. Vinny and Vivian had to work and Bobby came by earlier but he is going out of town."
"Can i see them?"
"As long as you want to see them. Let me go get them."
She closed a curtain and went away. I was in a very dim room, it had kind of a creepy feeling to it. Everything was white and baby blue.
I still felt like i was going to hurl. I pulled the blanket up closer to me to warm myself.
A few minutes later Stacy, Mari May and Jack came in.
"Where's my mom?" I asked.
"She went down to get something to eat. She hasn't eaten since you went into your coma." Mari May informed me.
"How long was i out?"
"A day." Jack answered.
"Wow." I said looking up at the ceiling. I didn't remember any of it.
Stacy and Mari May gave me a hug.
"We are going to go check up on your mom." Stacy said giving me a kiss on the cheek.
"Okay."
The second they left, Jack's lips crushed against mine. My heart monitor began to escalate. A minute later he pulled away.
"You scared me half to death." He gasped.
"Sorry."
"It's not your fault."
"I have never been that sick in my life. I think its sort of strange, don't you?" I asked looking at Jack.
"I don't care. You are better now. Thats all i care about." He said brushing some of my hair out of my face.
"So what happened when i was out?"
"Not much really. Everything was normal."
"Oh."
I got out shortly after. I went home, the doctor said to stay home one more day just in case.
But i was glad to be home, and away from that hospital. Jack went home and my mom had to go to work so i was home alone. So i took a shower, grapped some soup and turned the TV on.
But after about an hour somebody knocked on the door. I was to sick to bother checking their brain signal so i just got up and answered the door.
"Jamie!" I choked. "What are you doing here?"
"Checking up on you. I sensed your brain waves were a little shaky."
"Can't you take a hint? I dont want anything to do with you!"
"MayBelle, I am not going to leave you be. We are meant to be together. You'll see." He said inviting himself in. He walked around a little and sat down on the chair next to the couch that i had been laying in.
"I didnt invite you in." I said sitting on the couch, to tired to keep standing.
"So have you left that Jack yet?" He said completely ignoring me.
"No. Of course not." I said looking at him.
He sighed.
"MayBelle, when will you realize he is no good for you?"
"Stop calling me MayBelle!"
"That is your name."
"I dont care."
He laughed.
"Such a confusing little girl you are."
"Leave! Now!" I said pointing at the door.
Before anyone could react the worst thing happened. Jack walked in.
"Hey Belle..." He said looking between Jamie and i. "What's he doing here?"
"He's just leaving." I said looking at Jamie. Who simply smiled.
"Belle, whats going on?"
"Nothing. Jamie came in uninvited and made himself at home without my permission." I said shooting a look at Jamie.
"Listen, Jack, you will have no place in MayBelle's future. I will make sure of that. She stopped me last time, but the next time she wont stop me." Jamie said leaving.
"Oh, thank God he's gone." I sighed.
"Belle, what did he mean by that?" Jack said sitting next to me.
"He has some some strange idea that i am meant to be with him because we both have the power of the mind."
"But what did he mean by the last part? That you stopped him last time but the next time you wont."
"Its a long story."
"I have time." He said impatiently.
"Ok, remember when you asked me what was wrong cause i woke you up?"
"Yeah."
"Well after that i got up. And i asked Jamie if i could meet with him."
"How?"
"Through our minds. Anyways when i made it to the back yard i felt the alertness of a mind. It turned out to be a girl. With a gun. She was out to kill me because i had the power of the mind. But i learned i could use a force field to prevent the bullets from hitting me. Anyway in the middle of the battle between the random chick Jamie came. He started controling the girl and pointed the gun at your bedroom window. And i knew the angle he had it and the power of the gun it woul have shot right through the wall and hit you. So i started controling the gun so it wasnt angled at you. And thats it, he left, she left."
"Thats it! You and i almost got shot and you didnt say a thing about it?!"
"Well...i didnt want to freak you out."
"To late!"
"Just ignore Jamie, he's insane."
"Belle, you cant keep things like this from me."
"Its just, things will happen in my world that i dont want to involve you in. Just not yet."
"Belle, we are part of the same world. We are together. Please, you have to tell me these things."
"Only if they involve you, will i tell you right away. I promise i will tell you everything, just not right after they happen."
He sighed.
"I'll take that for now."
I sneezed and sniffed.
"Now, i think you should get some rest." Jack said kissing my forehead and pulling the blanket on me. "Now call me if you need anything or if Jamie comes back."
"I promise."
Jack lefted and i went back to bed. I slept for hours before i woke up. It was time for school. I was debating on whether or not to go. But i figured i would be bored out of my mind if i stayed home so i got ready for school.
"She's back from the dead!" Bobby yelled as i walked up to my little group. Everyone was talking about the party. But they missed the most exciting parts. Me almost getting kidnapped and killed. Jack almost getting shot and not to mention the Hollow's almost got robbed. But the party was still awesome.
I slugged him in the arm and hugged everyone.
"So are you feeling better?" Britney asked. She was eyeing Bobby like she was pissed.
Oh. She found out about Bobby's make-out session with Stacy. She was only mad at Bobby, she still adored our little Stacy.
"Yeah, i have a little head ache but thats about it."
"Good." Stacy said.
"And now, off to school." Bobby yelled, throwing his fist in the air.
We all stared at him in silence. Then we busted out in laughter. I linked arms with Vivian and Stacy. They linked arms with Lindsay and Britney and we left the guys behind.
"Hey!" Bobby called.
We ignored them laughing. It was good to be wit my friends and not have to worry about anything. The rest of the day went on without a worry. I didnt get sick, no unexpected visitor came, nobody tried to kill anybody. It was a good day for me, until later that night.