Missing

ardiente

I awoke early the next morning, Jesse's blankets and scent surrounding me. I made my way to the kitchen after fixing my hair to surprise Vanessa with a warm breakfast. Jesse bought groceries before he left. And here come the tears again.

I didn't realize how hard I was crying until Vanessa tapped me on the shoulder, "Are you alright?" She asked and I nodded, turning back to tend to the pancakes I was cooking. I served us and we sat at the table, both of us staring out to the ocean, "You want to go to the beach today?" I asked and she frowned.

"What about my parents?" She asked and I sighed.

"Your dad was put into therapy for his mental health not long before I met you," I explained.

"What does that mean?"

"It means he's at a center in Palm Springs trying to deal with his emotions. Your mom is with him so he's not alone," She sighed heavily.

"But they'll be back soon. I promise, and I can't wait for you two to reunite," This made her smiled.

"Then the beach sounds great," I laughed and took her empty plate before placing it into the sink, "But I don't have a suit," She frowned.

"That's alright. I have more than one, and we seem the same size so don't worry about it."

"Thank you," She whispered.

"For what?"

"You saved me back there," She smiled, "You're taking care of me now."

I smiled at her and we took the rest of the morning to get ready so we can walk down to the beach. I texted Zacky to let him know where we would be. So far him and Gena were the only ones to know about Vanessa's return. Today we planned on telling everyone else so we can focus on getting Matt and Val home.

Twenty minutes later Vanessa and I walked along the wet sand, flip-flops in our hands, "I love it here," She smiled and I nodded.

"It's been my favorite place so far," I said.

"So far? How many places have you been to?"

"Well, Jesse and I moved around a lot. We went wherever work was good," I explained.

"You two seemed close. Brother?" She asked and I shrugged.

"He found me when I was twelve and took me in."

"He must have really loved you to give his life for you," She whispered and I nodded.

"Ever since we found each other, we haven't been apart."

"So you two left San Diego to leave behind the dealing?" She questioned and I nodded.

"Jesse didn't want me around that stuff anymore. He said it was getting harder to protect me now that I'm older," I explained and she nodded.

"I can't imagine how you're feeling right now." I shook my head as tears began to fall.

"No... you can't," I began to fully cry.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." She trailed off as I shook my head again.

"It's not your fault. It's just," I choked, "I love him so much... And I feel like I didn't tell him enough," I was sobbing now and we had stopped walking. Vanessa pulled me into a hug as I cried, "He gave up his life for me," I whispered as I started to calm down.

----->

Zacky

"I have good new and bad news," I said once everyone was sitting in my living room. Michelle, Brian, Jimmy, Leana, Johnny, Lacey, Matt and Jason. Gena stood beside me as I found it hard to form my sentences.

"You know we couldn't find Van last night..." I started and everyone's faces dropped, "The people who were chasing her and Jesse found them. They went to San Diego so Jesse could try and fix things... So Van could be safe and free from the drug war."

"Is she okay?" Michelle was the first to ask and I nodded my head.

"Unfortunately, the leader of the group, Derek, wanted something in return. He was going to take Van when Jesse decided to give himself up instead of her," I explained.

"So how are going to get Jesse back?" Jason asked and I looked at him sadly.

"I-I'm sorry," I whispered and everyone looked at me in confusion.

"Where is he then?" Matt asked and I pursed my lips.

"Jesse's dead," I announced and everyone was in shock, "Van isn't taking this very well. She's trying to be strong, but it's hard."

"You said there was good news, what is it?" Johnny asked and I smiled.

"When they were facing this group, they came across a girl who looked just like Van. She was kind of a slave to their drug ring."

"Who is it?" Jimmy asked and I grinned.

"Van found Vanessa," I whispered and everyone was wide eyed.

"How do you know it's her?" Leana asked.

"I picked the girls up myself," I assured, "It's Vanessa. She remembers the kidnapping, me, and her parents. Vanessa's with Van right now."

"So we need to get Matt and Val back!" Jimmy yelled and I nodded.

"I'm going to text Van to head over here with Vanessa so we can all see her and find out when Matt can come home.

----->

Van

At the sight of Zacky's text I smiled. Vanessa will be thrilled to see the people she's missed for so long. We headed back to the house to change. Vanessa was content with wearing what we had bought yesterday, as it wasn't dirt. I settled with the same thing, it was cute that we kind of matched. Zack's house wasn't far from ours, so we could walk. After putting some more makeup on Vanessa's face so the guys wouldn't see her bruises, we were ready to leave.

We walked down the street and I continued to think of Jesse. I couldn't believe he was gone. It just wasn't fair. He was a good person, a strong one. I loved him.

The reunion was magical. Tears were abundant and tissues were thrown around like nothing. Jimmy was the first to greet Vanessa, taking her into a large hug and swinging her back and forth. Michelle was next, as she was her biological aunt. She cried out of happiness and I was glad. Johnny and Lacey were shocked but cried like babies.

It was amazing seeing everyone so happy, even though I was breaking inside. Michelle motioned for me to follow her out to the deck and I did. We stood there in silence, looking out to the refreshing water as the sun started to set, "I'm sorry, Van," She whispered.

"It's alright," I lied and she turned and looked at me.

"Brian and I were talking... You're going to be alone without Jesse and we want you to move in with us," I looked up at her and she smiled warmly.

"I don't know what to say," I whispered.

"Yes?" She questioned and we laughed, "You were his world, Van. You meant everything for him, and he died protecting you. I know you love him as much as he loved you, and I promise we're going to get through this together." I started to cry and she smiled, "Before we go inside, I want to show you something," She reached into her pocket and pulled out a photo, "This was taken of Avery a month before the fire. I want you to meet my little girl. I'm sure Jesse is probably taking care of her in heaven right now." I took the picture and glanced at it, only to stumble back in shock.

It was the same picture I had at home. Me, wearing the same necklace I kept safe at all times. But this didn't make sense. If I was there daughter, how come it didn't say so on my certificate? "She looks like you," I whispered and she nodded, taking the picture back.

We walked slowly back inside, as I was dizzy from what I had just seen. Michelle had my baby picture, with my necklace. How was this possible?

I thought this threw the whole time as we sat on the couch, asking Vanessa various questions. She answered them truthfully and I smiled. She was so happy to be home. We sat around, talking about each other. Everyone had mentioned some memorable story about Vanessa's birth.

Suddenly, the talking stopped at the sound of the front door opening and closing. We all looked around at each other. Everyone was here, so who would be walking through the door? I panicked at the thought of those dealers coming for Vanessa. Me and Zacky stood up at the same time, ready to see who was going to appear in the doorway.

He came in and my heart sunk and fluttered all at the same time. He was beat up bad, a bandage on his upper arm and a hospital bracelet around his wrist. His hair was a mess and he was pretty dirty, but I didn't care. This was the impossible. I was seeing things. None of this could be happening.

"Jesse!" I screamed and he gave a weak smile as he leaned against the door for support.

"You didn't think I'd leave you that easy, did you?"
♠ ♠ ♠
language: spanish

third update! bazinga!!! ready to write the fourth, i'm sure you all are wondering 'wtf???', it'll explain in the next chapter. woot woot! hooray for food, now that my tummy is full.

Mockingbird;;