Missing

горящий

I kissed Jesse's lips softly before zipping up my jacket and heading for the door. It was cold this morning, fog grazing over the ocean like a blanket. I had slipped out of the house in a comfy pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

Once I was outside, I fastened my necklace safely around my neck, the purple stone shining through the gloomy morning. I sighed before glancing back at the beautiful apartment before walking down the street towards Zacky's place. Vanessa was there, and she was an early riser herself. I could count on her to let me in. Until Zacky or Gena woke up, they would take me to where I really needed to be.

It wasn't long before I had knocked on the familiar beige door that belonged to Vengeance Manor, and to my surprise, Zacky opened the door, "Didn't think you'd be up this early," I stated and he shrugged.

"I wanted to cook breakfast for Vanessa and Gena. What are you doing here?" He asked and I nodded towards inside the house. He opened the door wide to welcome me in. I followed the scent of bacon and eggs into the kitchen and sat down. Vanessa was there, along with Gena. Before I knew it, Zack had placed a full plate in front of me, "So what's up?" Zacky questioned.

"I was wondering if you could give me a ride to Brian and Michelle's," I said and Zacky and Gena stopped where they were, mid-bite, and turned to me slowly, "I know what's going on. I've had suspicions for a while, and when Michelle finally showed me the picture I just knew," I shrugged and they glanced at each other, "I don't want to hurt Jesse, so I didn't ask him to take me there. I left before he could wake up."

"Wait, what's going on?" Vanessa asked and I turned to her.

"Remember when I told you everyone thought I was Matt and Val's daughter?" I questioned and she nodded, "Well, I'm really Brian and Michelle's daughter," I confessed.

When those words slipped out of my mouth, I just knew. My long search was over and I had found my parents.

"Wait... Avery?" She asked and I raised and eyebrow at her, "I remember you!" She exclaimed with a smile, "I remember playing with you, and then just as I turned four Mom and Dad told me I couldn't see you anymore, and that you went up with the angels," She gave a slight smile, "You didn't die in that fire?"

I shrugged, "I guess not. I'm not sure what the story is, but I'm here now."

Without warning, Zacky pulled me into a tight hug. His arms were wrapped so tightly around me that I nearly fainted from lack of air. It didn't take me long to realize he was crying, "I never thought I would see that day," He whispered and I wrapped my arms around him slowly.

"I guess this makes you Uncle Zack now, huh?" I asked and he laughed, pulling away from me. When I looked back at the table, Gena had silent tears in her eyes and Vanessa was smiling brightly.

"Let's get you over there," Zacky put an arm around me and led me towards the car.

Five minutes later we sat in the driveway, parked next to a black Mercedes. I felt clammy all of a sudden, and nervous. I was afraid of what would happen next. Was I to leave Jesse? It made no sense to me anymore, but I wanted to face my parents again, "You want me to go in with you?" Zacky asked and I shook my head, "You're nervous," He noted and I nodded.

"I'm afraid what will happen to Jesse," I whispered and he nodded.

"That's something we can work out later... But Van-Avery-this is something that needs to happen now. Right now, you need to focus on reuniting with your parents," He said softly and I nodded.

"You know," I laughed, "I've always liked the name Avery," He smiled at me before I opened the door and walked up the steps towards the door.

I had never been to Brian and Michelle's house before. It was fairly close to the beach as well, but a couple minutes past Zacky's house. It was large and in a secluded neighborhood that held luxury cars and green grass. I looked back towards Zacky's car and saw him nod through the windshield. I took in a deep breath before knocking, then ringing the doorbell.

What seemed like hours was really seconds. I was sweating as the door opened, and I almost couldn't find my voice as I faced Michelle, "Van, what are you doing here, Sweetie?" She asked.

"I wanted to talk to you and Brian. I know it's early, but I figured it was best to leave before Jesse woke up," I looked back towards Zacky and he gave a slight wave before pulling out of the driveway and driving off.

Michelle ushered me inside and I marveled at the vast house around me. Unlike Zacky's house, the walls held warm paintings and the walls were painted a soft beige. The tile was sparkling clean and I could see the beautiful decoration of the house, "Babe, who's at the door?" I heard Brian, now my father, ask. I could almost feel my hear stop at the sound of his voice.

Michelle and I sat down on the couch as Brian walked in and stopped, "Van, what's up?" He asked, "Is everything alright?" He sat down beside me and I breathed deeply.

My mother was to the left of me, my father on my right. I could almost cry, but I didn't. I had to explain some things first, give it to them easy before I shocked them both to death, "Michelle, the other day when you showed me that picture..." I trailed off, I couldn't bring myself to say it. I couldn't manage the words out of my mouth no matter how much I wanted to. I was too nervous to talk.

"Picture of what?" Brian asked and he glanced at Michelle.

"Avery," She whispered.

Deciding on a better approach, I unzipped my jacket and carefully took out the necklace that was hidden beneath my shirt. I heard Michelle gasp as I unclasped it from my neck and held it in my palm. Brian's eyes were wide and Michelle was shaking. I turned it over to we could see the words printed on the back, "My parents gave this to me. It was the only thing I had left of them before going to foster care..." I paused, "It was the only thing I made sure my foster parents didn't take from me."

We were silent for a long time. We didn't move and we didn't speak. Just a silence that took over us. I think everyone was too shocked to say something, so I played with the necklace in my fingers, "I assume the nickname Van came from the middle name Valen. And I'm assuming Valen came from Val," I looked up at Michelle and she nodded, tears in her eyes.

"This isn't real," Brian whispered beside me and I turned to face him.

"Is it alright if I call you Dad?"

-----

Jesse

I woke up in Van's room completely alone. The bed was cold beside me, and I found myself holding her pillow instead of her warm body. I sat up confused, not sure what was going on or where she was, "Van?" I called out, but received no answer. I tossed the blankets off of me and got up, walking out of the room and into the sunny living room, "Van?" I called again but no answer. I walked back to her room and opened her drawer, finding her small box. I opened it quickly to find the necklace gone.

I guess it was time for me to let her go. As much as I hated it, it was time for me to accept that I'm not number one in her life anymore. I didn't want to let her go, because I loved her too much, but if she wanted to leave then I had no choice. I just want her to be happy.

There was a knock at the door and I ran to answer, hoping it was Van returning from wherever she had went. But the door only revealed Zacky, "Hey," He said softly, "Are you crying?" He asked. I put a hand to my face and realized that I had indeed been silently crying.

"Uh, yeah," I admitted and he gave me a pitiful look.

"I'm really sorry, Jess. I didn't know she was going to come to me. She walked over this morning asking for a ride to Brian's. She told me she didn't want to hurt you, so she left before you woke up," He explained and I bit my lip.

"Did you take her there?" I asked and he nodded, "Okay... okay," I whispered to myself, "It's okay."

"Listen, I know you care a lot about her... But she needs parents. And, it's not the end. I'm sure you'll still be in her life," He tried to cheer me up and I sighed.

"I know, I know... What if you had only one thing to live for in this world," I paused, "And it was taken away from you. It's like taking away my life," I said.

"Jess-"

"But at the same time you love her so much that you just want her to be happy... So you let her go, even if it's the hardest thing you've ever had to do. I just want her to be happy, Zack... But I want her to be happy with me."

"I don't know what to say, Jesse."

"You don't have to say anything."

And with that, he left. He silently turned around, with a grim smile, and politely shut the door behind him.

-----

Van

Tears filled my eyes as Brian quickly took me into his arms, wasting no time. He cried into my shoulder, "My little girl," He whispered, "My baby." A pair of smaller arms wrapped around me as well, and I knew it was Mom. I could fee her warm tears on my back as I finally let myself go and I cried.

It was unreal. For years I had imagined my parents and by a stroke of luck, I came across them. They were with me now and I had them forever. I wasn't going to let them go.
♠ ♠ ♠
language: russian

sorry for the long wait. but it's finally up. i sense only a few more chapters to this story before it's over with. but don't worry, i have anew story up. It's a ZV fic :)

The Kids Are Alright

read and tell me what you think ;)