Status: This story is finished.

I Don't Think I Can Do This

Chapter Two of Two

Days turned into weeks. Weeks turned into months. Brooke wasn't the loud fun-loving girl she used to be. She's now an 8-month pregnant loner, someone with no friends. All her friends talked behind her back once they found out.

Mason didn't have anything to do with her after the day she told him. He got to move on with his life and do whatever he wanted to, he didn't have another life to look after. He was hanging out with his friends and partying, going to football games and going on dates.

Brooke didn't have the chance to anymore. She couldn't go out and experiment with alcohol like most of the other teenagers her age were doing. She had to stay home and rest. Which is what she's doing now.

Brooke was reading her book for English class, trying to keep up with what her teachers were sending to her from school. She's too pregnant to be able to walk from class to class now, so she's staying home until her baby is born.

The book was boring and she couldn't get into it at all. She started to drift in and out of daydreaming when she felt her lower half get wet.

“What the...?” The covers that laid on her lap was pulled off to reveal that her water just broke. “Oh god. Mom!”

Footsteps were heard walking across the hall before the white wooden door opened, revealing Angie. “What is- Oh my! Okay, grab your bag honey, I'm going to call the hospital to tell them we're on our way.”

Brooke went to her small closet and grabbed the overnight bag she packed. She grabbed her cellphone from the nightstand and texted Mason.

“Mason... I know we haven't talked or anything... but I thought I'd tell you that our baby is on the way. If you want to see it, come to the hospital...”

The phone dinged when the text was sent and it was now time to go. The two of them got into the car and started their journey to the hospital.

“How are you feeling?”

“Nervous. Scared. Terrified. Must I continue?”

“Just wait until the contractions start to hit you sweetie. You'll be more than scared.”

* * *

“Oh my fucking god! Mom it hurts so bad!” Brooke screamed as she squeezed her mother's hand for dear life. Sweat beaded up on her forehead and she tried to breathe through the pain, though it wasn't working.

“Do you want the epidural?”

“What the hell do you think!” Angie gave her a warning look before leaving to go find a nurse. She came back with the doctor instead.

“How are you feeling? Any pressure?”

Brooke nodded and let her head fall back onto the white pillow.

“Let me check how dilated you are and see if we can give you any medicine for the pain.” The doctor put on a pair of gloves and checked to see how far along she is. “Uh, Brooke, I'm sorry to tell you this but you are fully dilated and it's time to push.”

“I-I want the medicine first though.” Brooke started to get even more nervous.

“We can't give you the medicine when you're fully dilated. I'm sorry. I'll get the nurses and you can start pushing very shortly.”

The doctor took off his gloves and left to go find nurses to assist him.

“Mom, I'm scared. I don't think I can do this.”

Angie kissed her daughter's head and wiped the sweat with a small towel. “You have no choice. This baby wants to come out. You can do this. I'm here.”

When the doctor and nurses came back into the room Brooke started to push with all her might. The pain was intense, she never felt anything like this in her whole life. She doesn't think she'll ever feel something more painful for the rest of her life.

Hours and hours of pushing, Brooke growing more tired as the time progressed.

Brooke's head fell back on the pillow. “Come on Brooke! One more big push and the baby will be out,” said the doctor.

She took a deep breath in, squeezed her mother's and nurse's hands as tight as she could, and give the hardest push. Seconds later, a cry was heard throughout the room.

“It's a boy!”

Brooke cried in relief and happiness as the nurses quickly wiped him off and wrapped him in a baby boy blanket. A nurse handed the baby over to his mother for the first time. “Congratulations. What are you going to name him?”

She thought for a second. “Zachary Brian Cabral.” Brooke pulled down the blanket to see her son's full face. He was beautiful. Tears sprang to her eyes as she stared down at her baby. “Hi Zachary. I'm your mommy.” She ran a finger over his cheek and felt how soft his skin was. She looked up at the new grandma. “Wanna hold him?”

Angie nodded excitedly as she held out her arms, ready to meet her grandson. “He's beautiful, Brooke. Get some sleep sweetie. I'll keep an eye on him.”

Brooke didn't need to be told twice. Her eyes shut and she was fast asleep.

* * *

A few days later, Brooke was awake and holding Zachary again. They were going to leave the hospital in a few hours. She ran her hand over his head softly, feeling the small dark colored hair that was on his head.

Mason never showed up to meet his son, but she suspected that he wouldn't.

She looked up as someone knocked gently on the door before opening it. It was Maria and John.

Maria was the first to see him. “Oh my god! Look how adorable he is! John look! He's beautiful!”

Brooke self-consciously tightened her hold on her son. “What are you guys doing here?”

“... We're here for Zachary,” John said calmly.

“What?”

“The adoption. You signed all the paperwork before he was born. He's coming home with us today.” Maria tried to say it softly, hoping a fight won't break out.

“You can't take him! He's mine! I want to keep him! He's my baby, I love him! I love him with my whole heart. I'm not going to just give him away!”

Angie walks into the hospital and sees Maria and John standing near her stressed-out looking daughter. “What's going on?”

“They want to take Zachary away from me! Don't let them, please mom!” It broke Angie heart to see the tears that fall onto her daughter's cheeks, knowing there was nothing she could do.

“Sweetie... there is nothing I can do... We signed all the paperwork already. He's theirs.”

Maria reached to grab the baby but Brooke pulled him away. “You can't have him.”

“Brooke. Please, you knew this was going to happen when you decided that you were going to give him up. I told you it was going to be the hardest thing. But I supported you're decision. Please don't make this harder for everyone else.”

“You'll be in his life. We'll send you pictures and videos. We'll call once a week, and we'll even come to visit you guys,” Maria said, still holding her arms out.

Brooke sobbed aloud as she squeezed her eyes shut and brought her son closer to her face. “I-I l-love you. I hope you al-always know that. I'll always be h-here for you.” She kissed Zachary's small forehead. Maria reached for the baby and tried to pull him away, Brooke kept a hold on him.

“Brooke, let Zachary go. It's time.”

She let out a loud sob as Maria tried to pull the baby away, this time succeeding.

“Thank you for this gift.”Maria and John smiled at her and walked out of the room, taking the one little person that held her heart.

“Mommy...”

Angie walked over to her daughter's hospital bed, sat down, and let her cry on her shoulder, Angie letting a few silent tears fall.

But she wasn't going to tell her daughter that. Her daughter needed her. Her daughter needed her to be strong. She can't show weakness. Inside, it was hurting her as much as it was hurting Brooke.

Brooke was wrong. There was one thing that is more painful than giving brith and it was watching two people take her child that she loves so much away from her... even if it is the best for the baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this is the second, and final, chapter. Hope you enjoyed it. All comments are welcome. : ]