Sequel: Hidden in the Shadows
Status: Completed :) Onto the sequel!!

Playing the Game of Love

Chapter Sixteen

October 11th, 2010
Monday
Prague’s Grand Inn
8:00 A.M.

The next game was at 4:00 P.M. that day so Raina pretty much relaxed the day away by the pool again with Jasmiina. Sadly, for Milan, the doctor had looked at his knee that morning and confirmed he couldn't skate if he wanted his leg to be healed in time for the regular season. Frustrated, he had gone on a walk around the city.

When 4:00 finally came around everyone was down in the locker rooms dressing and Raina stood on the bench again. She scanned the gathering crowd for Milan who had been ordered to sit out. She gave up trying to find him and started throwing some pucks onto the ice. The players came out and practiced for twenty minutes or so and then retreated back into the locker room. After the introduction the team came running out of the tunnel onto the ice. Raina watched each player. She read the names on the backs of each jersey. Bergeron, Wheeler, Ference, Sobotaka, Stuart, Thorton, Seguin. She thought Tyler was the last one out and turned to ask her father who the next preseason game would be against when they got back but then saw another player come out onto the ice. She saw the back of the jersey read Lucic.

"Dad! Look!" She pointed Lucic out among the others. Her dad shoke his head and said

”I’ll talk to him when he gets over here." The players circled around a couple of times before getting on the bench. She saw Milan smiling at her as he skated over. When everyone was on the bench for the national anthems her father decided not to talk to him until afterwards.

"Lucie what are you doing?"

"Coach I can play, my knees fine."

''The doctors told you, you shouldn't be playing today. The first line then returned to the bench Milan said

"I'll show you I can play," he hopped out of the box and took off down the ice. Raina felt fear rise in her chest and went over to her dad and said

''Don't kick him off the teams."

''I'm not gonna kick him off; when he gets back here I’m gonna bench him. It was apparent his leg was bothering him as he skated weirdly down the ice. He approached the player with the puck and checked him, taking the puck for himself. He came up to the net and things seemed to go in slow motion as he shot upwards. The puck looked as if it was going to miss but it hit the pole and fell into the net. The crowd jumped and cheered, Milan raised his stick the air in celebration and joined his teammates on the ice in a group hug. He skated back to the bench and highfived everyone. Claude came toward and grabbed his shoulder before he could skate off again.

”I’m benching you with that knee; you're not supposed to be playing." Not wanting to disobey him any further, he came into the box and sat at the end in front of where Raina stood.

''Great Job Looch,” she said, he turned and smiled and said

“Now that I’ve scored you don't care about my knee."

"'Just watch the game," she said laughing. As great as Milan’s first goal against the Coyote’s was the Coyotes ended up winning. These score was 3-2. It didn't get anyone one in that bad of a mood and certainly didn't get down Milan who was still excited from sneaking onto the ice. When everyone got back to the hotel they immediately began to pack for their flight at 8:00 that night. An hour later the teams was back on the plane. Raina sat next to Milan again but slept the entire flight knowing jet lag was going to irritate her the next few days. In the midst of a dream about the Bruins winning the cup Raina felt someone gently shaking her arm.

"Raina, hey, get up, we're home." She opened her eyes to see Milan looking at her. ''We're back in Boston." Raina looked out the window of the plane to see the sun shining brightly and a busy Logan Airport. She leaned back into her seat and rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

"Did you sleep at all?" She asked Milan.

''No, but I tried, it was such a boring ride." Raina looked at Tuukka across from her who was still asleep. He was snoring loudly with his mouth wide open. Marc watched him, smiling with amusement.

"I'm tempted to stick something down his throat,” said Marc. The planes door opened and they were allowed to get off. "Should we just leave him here?" Raina laughed and went over and shoke Tuukka.

“We’re getting off now Tuukka." Tuukka awoke with a start.

''What!? What? What's going on?" Raina smiled and said

''It's time to go,”

''Where are we going?''

''To hell,'' Said Raina laughing. Tuukka looked around still confused. ''We're back in Boston idiot." Raina walked to catch up with Milan and said ''I can't wait to meet your parents this Saturday.”

“Oh ya, after the game for dinner,"

”When’s Brittany meeting them?"

“Before the game we're going out for lunch and a walk around Boston.”

“Oh that sounds fun, are we having dinner at your house?"

''Ya, I was actually going to ask you if you could cook for them. Brittany and Tammy are
having a girl’s night or something and I have no idea what I'm doing."

"Sure," he smiled and said

“Thanks Ray."

“How about I go over to your apartment during the game and cook so everything is ready in time.”

"You don't have to do that; you'll miss the first game of the season."

''But I want too! I want to make everything perfect for them."

"Thank you sooooo much, I'm going to have to pay you back."

''No problem,” She said.

“For the next week life got pretty boring for Raina. There was one more pre-season game against the Washington Capitals which she had gone on Wednesday. Milan followed the doctor’s rule this time and sat up in the crowd with Brittany. On Friday, Jasmiina came over to stay the night. They spent the night talking and watching Family Guy. They were painting their nails on her bed, being careful not to get any on Raina’s dark pink comforter.

“Have you seen Milan lately?"

''Nope," she said painting her pinky toe nail. “I just don't want any more drama with her."

''So you're just going to stop talking to Milan and let Brittany stop your."

''No, I'll still talk to him but I just don't feel like fighting her back anymore, I have other things to focus on.”

"Like?"

“College,”

''Are your parents gonna make you go to Califorinia?”

''Hopefully they'll let it go and let me go where I wanna go. I've already taken this year off, I
have to start next year.”

“Where do you wanna go?"

''BU, Law School."

“BU is a great college! Why don't they just accept that school?"

“Cause my mom wants me to go to that stupid private college in Los Angeles where she
went.”

''Just keep resisting her pressure,”

“Maybe I’ll just give in; the way things have been going lately.”

''Don't talk like that! Things will get better, they always do.” Raina shrugged, screwing the nail
polish brush back into the glass bottle.

That next day was the first game of the season. Even though she wouldn't be attending, it was a small price to pay to impress Milan’s parents with her cooking. Jasmiina was picked up by Tuukka in the morning and Raina spent her free time before heading over to Milan's to look at Boston University online. She took some notes and decided to go to a campus tour next Monday. She looked at the clock to see it was already 2:30. Milan had told her that he had to be at the garden at 1:30 and his apartment with Brittany until 1:00 when they'd all leave for the game. Raina didn't feel like getting there early and being awkwardly greeted by Brittany and Milan's parents. She waited until 2:50 and decided to head out. Milan had given her a key to his apartment a year ago to get in whenever she wanted.

When she arrived to his place she saw what must have been Milan's parent’s suitcases up against the wall by the door. Raina had brought all the things she needed to cook what she cooked best, Italian food. She started the spaghetti, cooked the garlic bread, made the sauce, and made the salad, and put together the sauce and spaghetti. She glanced at the clock to see it was 5:00. Milan said he would be back with his parents at 6:00. Raina quickly set the table with plates and food. Raina had decided to wear a fancy outfit. A nice pair of dark blue skinny jeans with nice black leather heeled boots that reached her mid-calf. She wore a formal white shirt that slid slightly off her shoulders and clung to her figure. Raina decided to fix her hair up which had gotten frizzy from cooking for so long. As much as she didn't want to she knew that Brittany probably had a brush she could use and went up to Milan’s bedroom. Milan’s room was like it was last time she saw it, the large king-size bed with a dark brown comforter, several windows giving her a great view of Boston at night, a small walk-in closet, and a bathroom which someone had left the light on in. She walked slowly into the dim room and towards the bathroom. On the way by she ran her finger tips lightly over the comforter. She was sprayed at its softness. She took it in her hand and pulled it back so she could see the white pillows. She wanted to sleep there every night next to him, all warm and cozy. As she went to run the comforter back over the pillows and something fell out onto the rugged floor. She picked it up it was a box of condoms. In disgust and feeling hurt to have the evidence of the intimation of Milan’s and Brittany’s relationship she threw the box down onto the bed and walked away. But feeling overpowered with curiosity she walked back and looked at the box. On the side it read size XL. Smiling to herself, she put it back under the comforter and continued into the bathroom. The bathroom was pretty normal except for its large stone shower. As she had predicted she found a brush on the tile counter with long brown stands of hair inside it that had to be Brittany's. She fixed up her hair and was going to leave when she spotted a picture in a small gold picture frame. It was of Brittany and Milan kissing in front of what looked like a scene of palm trees and a bright blue ocean. She felt the sadness well up again and she set down the picture and left the room, shutting off the bathroom light on her way out. She got downstairs just in time to hear the door open and see Milan and his parents coming in behind him. She smiled and stood in front of the table. Before Milan could introduce her to his mother she said

''You must be Raina!" The woman came over and gave her an extremely tight hug. Milan didn't look anything like his mother except for her eyes. She had a very small nose, very edgy features, dark brown eyes that were pointed and long, thin pointed lips, fair skin, and was thin and tall, around 5’10”. She got a look at his father. It was obvious that Milan had inherited all of his looks from his dad. He had the same exact nose as him, big and long, dark square small brown eyes, fuller lips, dark olive skin, a very wide strong frame, and he was at least 6’3”.

''Mom, dad this is my best friend Raina Julien, she’s my coach’s daughter.” His father shoke her hand with a firm grip. "Raina this is my mother Snezana, and my father Dobrivoje."

''Hello," She said smiling warmly at them. She had expected the unique names, Milan had told her his parents had to immigrated to Canada from Serbia. Only Milan’s father had the heavy Serbian accent.

“She cooked all this food," he said laughing looking at the table, obviously impressed.

“Brittany didn't do it?" said his father seeming a little surprised.

''Oh, uh no, she didn't, she went out with a couple of my teammates wives and girlfriends tonight."

''Oh, does Raina usually make you dinner?"

“No,” said Milan knowing his father disapproved of the fact Brittany was not the one cooking for him. Raina noticed Milan’s father’s disapproval and said

''Well let's eat, Milan do you know when Brittany will be back?"

''She told me anywhere from 10:00 to 11:00.” Raina nodded as she pulled out a seat for Snezana to take.

''Thank you Raina," she said smiling up at her. Raina took her own seat next to Snezana. As the bowl of Spaghetti was passed around Milan’s father said

"So how do you guys meet?”

"When my father started coaching the Bruins I was thirteen and I went to a lot of practices because I absolutely love hockey and I met him there." He nodded his head and said

“You grew up in Boston?”

''No I was born in Blind River, Ontario. I have dual citizenship in Canada and America because my mother was born in America. My family traveled a lot because my father has coached for other teams." Milan’s father kept piling on questions as they ate.

“Are you going to college any time soon?" Raina debated on mentioning the college in LA.

"Yes actually, I took a year off but I'm going to attend Boston University's Law School if I get
accepted, otherwise I have some backup colleges in mind." She sadly thought of her
mother’s college.

''You better be staying in Boston." said Milan, “life would get very boring for me." His mother smiled and said

“I remember when life got boring when he left for Boston. The house suddenly got so quiet. It was so hard letting you go so early." She said looking sadly at her son. ''You were only nineteen."

“Mom you would have had to let me go if I hadn't been drafted anyway, I would have gone to college."

“I know but you were always my most sensitive child." She said distressed, “and you went so far away! To a different country!" She then threw her arms around Milan’s large shoulders, leaning over in her chair.

“Mom its America, Canada is exactly like America but colder.”

"I brought an album of baby pictures to look at." Milan looked horrified.

“No!! Please, anything but that!"

“Milan me and your girlfriend, I mean friend,'' she said, covering her mouth in embarrassment to have slipped up.”Your friend and I are going to look at them." Milan put his hands over his face.

“Please no naked baby pictures,"

''We're going to go through all of them, you can join us or you can go be embarrassed in the next room, but I don't see any reason why you should be, you were the cutest little baby ever!" she said in adoration. Raina smiled at Milan who then said

''Next time I talk to Claude I’m gonna ask to see your baby pictures." Everyone but Milan, who sat off to the side, gathered around the album book once they had finished dinner and the table had been cleared.

“You are a wonderful cook Raina,” said Milan’s father. Raina was shocked at his compliment; he had seemed so stiff and serious the entire dinner.

''Thank you Mr. Lucic,” she said. Snezana opened the album and the first picture on the page was a professional picture of Milan as an infant. Raina couldn't help herself from yelling out

''Oh my god you were the cutest little thing ever!” Milan put his head in his arms. "You were so adorable! Look at your little fists! Oh my god!” Snezana joined in

"I know! He'll always be my little baby boy! "Milan looked up at them humiliated. The two women squealed some more over the first picture then turned the page. The second page had several pictures of naked baby Milan in a small bathtub.

“This was your first bath." Said Snezana absolutely thrilled. Milan looked over at the pictures and then said

"Please don't show her those; she'll use it against me in the future."

''We're not going to skip over even one Milan." He got up and went into the living room. Milan’s father said

''I think I'll leave you two to fawn over these and join him." Milan sat down onto his couch hearing more obnoxious squeals about how cute his butt was as a baby from Raina and his mother. His father walked in as Milan flicked through the TV channels to see what was on.

''Hey dad," he said as he sat down next to him.

"Hey," he said. They sat in silence for a minute, listening to Raina and his mother talk excitedly in the kitchen. “Raina is a very nice, responsible young lady, very respectful, she's a good cook, and she has a great future. She can support herself; she just seems like an overall wonderful girl." Milan knew what his father was getting at.

''Mmmmmm, I agree.” said Milan still trying to keep his eyes on the TV screen. “She’s a great friend too.”

“Just a friend?"

"Dad"

“Milan I know a good woman when I see one, you should take my advice."

''Dad I love Brittany.”

"I've been in this world long enough to see what true love looks like, don't think you can fool me. I saw the way you looked at her during dinner. I can see love in your eyes Milan. Don't let your chance slip away with her, don't make a stupid mistake and let her get away.” Milan was shocked at his father’s speech. He opened his mouth and then closed it again, unable to speak, and unsure of what to say. Raina and Snezana were still looking at pictures when the door opened. Raina looked up and was horrified to See Brittany walk in.

“What the hell are you doing?" she said looking down at Raina in anger. Milan heard Brittany’s voice and jumped up off the couch and dashed back into the kitchen. Brittany turned to him and said

''Why is she here?"

“Because she's my friend and wanted to meet my parents."

''I came back early because Tammy wanted to go home and see Dylan, and I come back and find her here." Snezana stood up from the table and said

"She's here because we wanted to meet Milan’s best friend." Not going to talk back to Milan's mother she said

“Well I'm going to take a shower; it’s been a long night.” And with that, Brittany walked off and up the stairs to the 2nd floor. Milan turned to see his father standing in the living room doorway with an I-told-you-so look on his face. The room was awkwardly silent until Raina got up and said

“Well I should be going." Snezana said

“No it’s fine honey, you sit back down."

"Thanks but I really should go, it's getting late" Raina felt upset with the whole ordeal and after hugging Milan and his parent’s goodbye, she left. She felt herself holding back tears as she walked to her car. When she got inside she let herself cry over her steering wheel in the darkness of the parking garage. She didn’t want to cause anymore trouble with Brittany but she didn't want to lose Milan as a friend. She started her car and headed home.

Milan was making up the guest room for his parent’s and thinking about what had happened. Brittany and Raina needed to be sat down and talked to. Brittany needed to realize Raina was his friend and she would remain so. Then maybe the two would stop going at each other. He didn’t expect them to get along completely but the ridiculous bitchiness between the two needed to stop. It was obvious who his parent’s preferred; Brittany had acted badly in front of them today. While walking around Boston she had whined to him about buying her a new Gucci purse for $1,200 until he had caved and bought it for her.

Raina came home to a dark house, her parents were asleep and Katryna was out as usual. She parked her car in the garage and then went inside. She went straight to her bathroom to take a shower when she heard her phone vibrate. She saw that Milan was calling her. Confused to what he would want she answered.

“Hello?''

"Hey, I need to ask you something.''

''What?"

“Will you come to Caffe Vittoria tomorrow and meet me there?"

“Why?”

"Just Please come, for me."

"What are we doing?"

“It’s a surprise,"

“Alright, I’ll come, what time?"

“1:00,”

“K,”

“Are you alright, you seemed sad when you left.” Milan knew why she had been upset.

“Yes, I’m perfectly fine,” she said sounding irritated. Changing the subject she said “Did your parent’s like me?"

"Ya, my mom absolutely loves you, she keeps gong on and on about how great you are." he laughed.

“What about your dad?"

“He liked you too,” Milan then thought about what his father had said earlier.

“That's good, I wasn't sure about if your dad liked me or not."

"On he definitely does." Raina heard Brittany's voice in the background say

''Are you coming to bed Milan?" She heard him say away from the phone.

"Ya, just a minute,” he came back to the phone and said "I gotta go, I'll see you tomorrow.”

“K, goodnight,"

“Night,” he said and then hung up. Feeling alone in her quiet small bathroom, Raina stood there for a minute, staring at herself in the mirror with her wide Bambi-like eyes still red from the ride home. She then continued on into the shower, washing the stress of the day away.
__________________________________________________
Thanks everyone for reading :) Please comment and I'll post more.

Raina's Shirt (A little tighter than that but same design.)
Raina's Jeans
Raina's Boots