Sequel: Hidden in the Shadows
Status: Completed :) Onto the sequel!!

Playing the Game of Love

Chapter Nineteen

October 22nd, 2010
Thursday
The Paradise Hotel, Los Angeles, California
4:08 A.M.

That next morning Raina got up extra early because of jetlag. She up at 4:00 feeling well rested. They didn’t have to leave for the campus until 9:00 and decided to watch TV. No hockey games were on so she decided to watch NHL on the Fly on the NHL Network. It talked about the Bruin’s lose last night saying that at the beginning of the year they needed to regain their footing. After watching for an hour she went upstairs and began to get ready. She pulled a nice pair of shorts on and a nice sleeveless top. Her mother walked in as Raina as putting on make up.

“How was your night last night?” said Raina.

“Great! I met Jennifer Lopez, we talked for hours, and she’s as nice in real life as she is on TV.”

“Cool,” said Raina, focusing on her mascara.
“Tonight the college is having a dinner and party for the new students and their parents. It’s at 6:00 so you’ll have time in between to get ready and shop around for an outfit.”

“Great,”

“And I expect you to be on your best behavior when you’re there.”

“Alright,” she said. She finished up her make up and saw she still had three hours before they had to leave. She knew the time in Boston was 9:00. she wanted to call Jasmiina but didn’t wanna wake her up. Instead she thought she’d go on the beach for bit. She walked down the lobby and found the back door that led out onto the beach. Nobody except for a few people were walking. The sand was warm under her feet as she walked down to the water. It woke her up when the cold water splashed up onto her legs. She closed her eyes and was listening to the waves gently roll in when she heard a voice yell.

“Hey look out!” She opened her eyes and saw a frisbee whiz by her, just missing her. A dog was running towards her after it closely followed by the man who had warned her. As he came up to talk to her she saw how soft and handsome his features were. His sandy blonde hair fell into his bright blue eyes. He had a dark California tan. He wore no shirt and just a pair of light faded blue jeans showing off his flawless muscled chest and ripped arms. He was around 6’1” and looked like he had just stepped out of a magazine.

“Hey sorry about that,”

“Oh it’s fine ,” she said smiling up at him. The dog that had been chasing the frisbee came back with it in his mouth. He carried it proudly over to his owner who took it from him. The dog was a cute Golden Retriever. He was friendly and he sniffed at Raina’s hands.

“He’s cute, what’s his name?”

“Henry,” she petted the dogs head lightly. “If you don’t mind me asking what’s your name?”

“Raina,” she said.

“I’m Jeff,” he said.

“It’s nice to meet you,” she said.

“So do you live around here?”

“No actually I’m from Boston, Massachusetts. I’m here for a college campus tour.”

“I’m actually going to look at a college today too! It’s the Los Angeles Golden Valley College.”

“Me too! That’s the one I’m going to.” He smiled and said “I’ll probably see you there, they split the tour group only into two.

“Do you live here?” said Raina.

“Ya I live there,” He pointed to a large house right on the beach. Raina looked up in awe at the house. Who were his parents? He had to be mega rich.

“Nice house,” she said.

“I know what you’re thinking,” he said laughing. “Who is he related to in Hollywood?” Raina felt embarrassed.

“Oh no, no it’s-” he was still laughing and said

“It’s fine, I expect it, it’s like that with everyone I meet.” My dad is director and my mom is a costume designer for celebrities.”

“That’s so cool your friends with anyone famous?”

“Ya, I’m good friends with Taylor Lautner.”

“My dad coaches the Boston Bruins so I know a lot of hockey players pretty well.”

“Oh,” he said suddenly looking downcast. “You, uh, going out with any of them?”

“Oh no, I’m single. I’m just really good friends with a few.” He brightened up again and said

“I do watch the Kings play something you know any of them?”

“No, not closely, but I’m best friends with Tuukka Rask.”

“He’s pretty awesome; I went to a Kings vs. Bruins game once and he was so good.”

“Ya, I’ve been close with him and his girlfriend since he came to the team, we’re all biffles for life.” She laughed.

“Think you could get me a signed stick or something?”

“Sure, I go back to Boston on Friday; I could send you it through the mail?”

“That’d be awesome,” Raina felt her phone vibrate in her back pocket and she took it out to see her mom had texted her saying ‘where are you?’ She replied saying ‘the beach.’

“What’s your number?” she said. He pulled out his phone and said

“555-424-7981,” She then gave him hers and two continued to walk down the beach. They took turns throwing the frisbee to Henry who would chase ahead after it and bring it back proudly in his mouth. They talked more about where they came from, what they wanted in life, and then turned around when it was 8:30.

“What hotel are you in?”

“The Paradise,”

“Alright, I’ll see you at the college.”

“Bye,” the two parted and Raina trudged back up to the hotel. She liked Jeff a lot and he had taken her mind off of the drama back home. As she was walking back into the hotel she nearly ran into her mother who was on the way out.

“I was just coming to find you, it’s time to go.” Their car was brought around front from the parking garage and they were driving back towards the Beverly Hills area. They drove back through the strip of expensive shops and car dealerships and then turned down a long road with big elegant green trees on each side. They came to a big iron gate that said Los Angeles Golden Valley College on the front. The gate opened up for them by itself and they drove through. Raina began to see buildings and soon they drove into what seemed like a small town.

“Here we are!” said her mom excitedly. All of the buildings were historic looking and all made of brick. People walked around outside holding books in their arms or talking to people in small groups. They drove up to a large grand building and parked. “This is the auditorium where we meet our tour guide.” The two got out and walked inside. The auditorium had rows and rows of seats like a movie theater with a stage up front. Most of the seats were already filled and Raina looked for Jeff but was unable to find him. They sat down further in the back. A man came out onto the stage with a microphone and said

“Welcome future students to LA’s Golden Valley College. Today we’ll be splitting everyone into two groups and each group will have a separate tour guide. We’ll be taking you all around from each building to outdoor places. It will be a fun experience but you’ll also seriously get to see if you think our college is right for you. We want the side of the room,” he pointed to the left, “to get up and go with your tour guide Cassidy.” A tall blonde girl standing by the doors waved over the group. Raina and everyone on the right side stayed seated until the left side of the room had exited. Then they got up and went over to their tour guide Matt. Raina frantically searched for Jeff. She felt disappointed thinking he had gone with the other group. She was about to give up looking when she saw him push through the crowd smiling at her.

“Hey Raina,” she said

“Hey Jeff,” she noticed her mother looking curiously at him and Raina said “Mom this is Jeff, I met him on the beach today.” Her mom grinned and said

“Hello Jeff, I’m Mrs. Julien,” she shoke Jeff’s hand and said “I went tot his college when I was younger it’s a wonderful school.”

“That’s cool, what’d you major in?”

“Law,” Raina’s mom and Jeff talked a bit more about the school as they went outside to start the tour. The tour ended when it was supposed to, at 3:00. Jeff and her mom had gotten along well throughout the tour they walked back to their cars together.

“Raina are you coming to the dinner and party later tonight?”

“Ya,”

“I’m going too, we’re allowed to pick our seats so when you get there find me or I’ll find you.”

“Alright see you!” Raina and her mother got into the car.

“We’ll go shopping now to get something to wear.” They drove back down the long road in silence until Raina’s mother said

“Jeff is such a nice boy. I hope you two will keep talking when you go back to Boston.”

“Ya we are,” she said. They parked the car in a small parking lot across from all the stores. The place sort of reminded her of Newbury St. They went into Valentino where Raina knew she’d find something nice to wear. She found where all the dresses were and looked through the garments. All the clothes on the racks were on display. If someone wanted to buy something they had to request their size and a worker would get it from the back. Raina found a black dress that stopped at her upper thigh giving it a sexy look. It was tight and was strapless. She requested a size six. Her mother has already chosen an outfit, a white gown with a small fur coat to go over it. The dress was brought out. Raina decided she wanted it so they paid and left.

When Raina got home and tried the dress on she was a little surprised at how sexy it really looked on her. She picked out a black leather clutch and a black pair of heels to go with the dress. She decided to call Jasmiina for her opinion.

“Hey Jaz,”

“Hey I’m getting ready to go out and I need your opinion on what I’m wearing.”

“Alright send me a picture and then I’ll call you back.” Raina hung up and took a picture of herself in the large full body mirror on the bathroom wall and then sent it. She waited a minute and Jasmiina called back.

“It’s so hot,” she said. Raina laughed and said

“Are you going all lesbian on me now?”

“Yes I totally am!” she laughed “Seriously wear it!”

“I am, I just bought it today for the dinner party the college is having for new students.”

“Vlad says hot damn.” Raina laughed and said

“Do you have people over?”

“No, we’re at Shawn’s house with some of the team.”

“That’s nice,” she said partially wishing she was there.

“So did you make any new friends?”

“Ya, a guy named Jeff,”

“Ohhhhh a guy!”

“Calm down he’s just a friend.”

“For now, how’d you meet him?”

“On the beach, he’s also going to the same college.”

“Do you have a picture of him?”

“Ya, I’ll send it.” She hung up again and sent the picture of Jeff and her standing together in front of the school’s entrance sign. Jasmiina called back a minute later and said

“He’ll love your dress.”

“He likes hockey too. He wants a signed stick from Tuukka.”

“I’ll get him to do it,”

“Thanks,” Raina heard her mom calling her and telling her it was time to go.

“I gotta go; I’ll be home at 5:00 tomorrow.”

“Alright call me and tell me how it goes with Jeff.” She teased. Raina took one more look in the mirror and then left. Her and her mother drove to the restaurant the college had rented out for the party. When Raina walked in she saw several cloth covered tables, a bar area, and a band playing music. She found Jeff sitting at a table by the window looking out. She walked over and said

“Hey Jeff,” he turned to look at her and she saw his eyes nearly pop out of his head.

“Oh, wow, hi Raina,” she smiled and took a seat next to him. “You look amazing.”

Jasmiina walked down the hallway in Shawn Thorton’s house to the living room where Tuukka was playing poker with some of the guys. They had a Flyers vs. Hurricanes game on. She heard their loud yells when the Flyers scored.

“Fucking Flyers!!” yelled Ference. “We’re going to kill them this year. When we play them it’s gonna be personal!!” Jasmiina walked up to Tuukka and said

“I need you to sign a stick.”

“For who?”

“Raina’s new friend Jeff, he likes hockey. She met him today at the beach.”

“Sure, I’ll get on it.” Jasmiina sat down on the couch next to Shawn’s wife who was drinking a beer and watching the game. She sat there watching the poker game progress. She couldn’t herself from giggling when Tammy, Nathan’s wife tried to get in on the game but they wouldn’t let her. When the poker game was over Jasmiina saw Milan get up and come over to her.

“Come into the kitchen with me,” Jasmiina stood up and followed him, feeling Brittany watching her.

“What is it?” she said.

“Who’s Jeff?” Jasmiina smiled and said

“Relax, they’re just friends according to Raina.” She took out her phone and showed him the picture of Jeff and Raina. “She met him at the beach today and she found out they happened to be going to the same college.”

“I told you she’d find one of those Hollister models to be with.”

“I wouldn’t worry about it.” She said “She’s going to a dinner party tonight, she called me about her outfit and told me about it.”

“Let me see the picture of her outfit.”

“No!”

“Why not,”

“Because,”

“Because?”

“Just because,” Milan didn’t listen to her and tried to grab at the phone as she tried to push him away with her free hand. He took the phone from her and opened up the message Raina had sent of her dress. Milan knew any guy who saw Raina in that tight black dress would be attracted to her. She looked incredibly sexy.

“This is hot, I’m gonna send this to my phone,” he said

“No you’re not,” she said trying to grab at her phone.

“If Jeff s straight he will have a boner the whole night with her.” He handed her back the phone after sending the picture to himself.

“She said he likes hockey and he wants a signed stick from Tuukka.”

“He doesn’t play right?”

“No he’s just a fan.”

“Good,” said Milan. There was a moment of silence and Jasmiina listened to the announcer on the TV talk in the next room before saying

“Are you and Brittany talking at all?”

“After last night’s make up sex I think she’s ok now,”

“EW, you’re such a pig, you didn’t have to tell me that.” Milan shrugged and said

“You’re the one who asked,”

“Are you fine with her?”

“I don’t know, if Raina doesn’t want me, sure why not.”

“She does love you; she just thinks that by staying here and watching you and Brittany together, and with all the drama it will be too much of a painful experience. She doubts you’ll leave Brittany for her; she doesn’t want to start a relationship with you to be treated as a dirty little secret or as second to Brittany.”

“Did she tell you that?”

“Yes, she said that if you wanted her you would have already broken up with Brittany.” Milan looked away from Jasmiina, not meeting her gaze.

“Hey guys what are you doing?” said Tuukka walking into the kitchen.

“Nothing,” said Milan who then walked out of the room in deep thought. Hen he was gone Jasmiina said

“We were talking about Jeff.”

“It’s just one big mess. Milan had always had feelings for Raina. He fucked things up bringing another girl into the picture. Everyone knew the day Raina turned sixteen Milan would be paying more attention to her in a different more then friendly way.” Jasmiina frowned and said

“So what do we do?”

“It’s not our problem, he needs to work it out himself, after all it should be his decision in what he does.”
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment!