Sequel: Hidden in the Shadows
Status: Completed :) Onto the sequel!!

Playing the Game of Love

Chapter Three

October 3rd, 2010
Sunday
Ristuccia Arena, Wilmington, MA
8:30 A.M.

Now fully pissed off, Raina shoved her way through the crowd of hockey players. She saw her father talking with Craig Ramsay. He saw her coming and said goodbye to Craig.

“What is it Raina? Why is your face so red? You look angry.” Realizing she was still breathing heavily with anger, she gained a calm posture and then said

“I’m fine just a little excited for the beginning of the season. Anyway, Milan wanted me to go back to his place for an hour or so to meet his new girlfriend.”

“Go ahead; I’ll let your mother know.” Raina was half hoping he would say they were busy with some sort of family get together. Raina turned back around and made note to go around the other side of Milan’s car to avoid Tuukka and Vlad. She saw that Milan was already in the car and she pulled open the passengers seat door and hopped in.

“My dad said yes,” he nodded as he turned on the heater in the car. He then backed the car up out of the parking space and drove out of the fenced in area. Several fans bombarded his car. He quickly signed whatever they asked him to and then he drove the car to pull out of the parking lot. As soon as they were on the road he said

“Are you thinking about what college you want to go to? Please tell me you’re staying in Boston.” She laughed and said

“Yes I’m staying in Boston don’t worry, I’ve been looking at colleges here to study law. Unfortunately my mom doesn’t think I should stay here.” He frowned

“Why?”

“She wants me to go to this elite college in Los Angeles. She’s fine with me studying law she just doesn’t want me staying in Boston. She thinks I’ll do better if I’m away from home.”

“What about your dad?”

“He tells me it doesn’t matter to him which college I attend, but I know he wants me to go to LA too, I can see it in his face every time my mom brings up the situation.”

“If you leave Boston Ray it will be so lonely and boring here. Don’t let your parents control your life, just do what you want know matter what the cost.” She smiled warmly up at him and felt her heart melt when they made eye contact. They both had brown eyes. Except Raina’s were a bit lighter and his were a dark chocolate brown. If she looked for more than three seconds she felt as if she could never look away, as if she were drowning in them. But Milan looked away and back onto the road. She looked down at her hands blushing and noticed the Starbuck’s latte again.

“Who’s is this? I thought you only went to Dunks?”

“That’s Brittany’s; she likes Starbucks she left it in here from when we were driving here.”

“Figures,” whispered Raina under her breath. Milan was one of the few players who drove from their summer home to Boston. Milan preferred to keep the same car all year round rather than switch cars every time he moved back and fourth between Vancouver and Boston so he drove even if it took him a few days. For the rest of the car ride back into Boston from Wilmington, Mass. they talked of all the funny things they’d ever done together over the past few years. It usually took them at least an hour to get into Boston with all the traffic. They talked of all the horror movies they had watched together. It was a tradition for Raina to go over to Milan’s apartment at around 12:00 at night to watch a horror movies on his days off. Horror was Raina’s favorite movie genre, and they did it every season. Their favorite thing to talk about was about the time that they had gone into Gucci at the beginning of last year’s season and ended up destroying the heels section of the store. As unconceited as Raina was she still loved shopping at places on Newbury St. like Gucci, Valentino, and Dolce & Gabana. It had happened on a day off for Milan and they were bored out of their minds.

Milan and Raina sat on the small stools in the downstairs of Sugar Heaven eating an ice cream. It was an exceptionally hot day for October, about 85 degrees. Both Raina and Milan had nothing to do and Raina had called him asking him if he wanted to go walk around Newbury St. He’d agreed and they had been walking around for over two hours now just looking into shops, not buying anything as neither of them currently had enough money to buy anything but the ice cream they were eating now. Milan hadn’t even brought a credit card. The sound of the small fan whirring on the counter that the employee was using to cool off hypnotized Raina as she finished her ice cream. The small stools they were sitting on were obviously not meant to be sat in by anyone over the age of five because both her and Milan were sitting with their knees up to their chests, their clothes sticking to them uncomfortably with the humidity. Both finished their ice creams and sat their for another five minutes saying nothing until Milan stood up and said

“This is killing me, I need to do something.” She looked up at him trying to think of something to say back. Then she thought of something.

“I could take you to my favorite store.”

“What store?” Smiling playfully he said “Is it Condom World back on Newbury St.?”

“No,” she said laughing, still slumped over in her chair. “You wish,” she said back playfully. “It’s Gucci!!”

“You mean the store that sells all those overpriced purses and shoes and jackets and-” she stood up to face him and said

“They have the best designs ever! I have to show you!!” She grabbed their trash off the counter and threw them away and then grabbed him by the hand and pulled him towards the stairs leading up to the first floor of Sugar Heaven.

“I refuse to buy something there, those clothes are for men who are gay, I’m to masculine.” She rolled her eyes and said

“Sure you are Looch.”

“What are you implying here?”

“Nothing,” she said giggling.

“I ooze masculinity, if you looked up the word masculine in the Dictionary there’d be a picture of me.”

“Relax you probably wouldn’t be able to find anything that fit your frame, you're to broad.”

“My point exactly.” He said smugly as they climbed up the stairs. A new wave of heat hit them when the reached the top making Raina feel like a shriveled flower without water. She urged herself to keep walking because Gucci was only a couple stores down and across the street and she knew they’d probably have proper air conditioning. They quickly left the shop and crossed the street. After passing a few more buildings they stood in front of the glass revolving doors that went into Gucci. The building looked extremely high class, the outside was made of a golden marble and in cursive the word Gucci was on the side of the building. Without hesitation Raina pushed her way inside through the revolving doors. Milan followed behind her. The feeling of cold air washed over them and she heard Milan let out a sigh of relief behind her. The employees inside the store that were wearing formal suits eyed them acting snobbish. Neither Raina nor Milan were dressed particularly fancy. Raina wore blue jean shorts, a plain white tank top, light pink sandals, and had her hair up in a messy bun held in by a black clip. Milan wore light brown shorts that reached his knees, a black muscle shirt, and dark brown sandals. They walked past the store employees, feeling their eyes follow them as they went into the next room. The room had several racks of different clothing hanging on the wall, everything looked so clean, new and shiny. A flat screen TV was bolted into the wall that showed a Gucci fashion show going on, next to that a doorway led into a small dressing room that had a full length mirror on the wall. Milan pulled out a small leather jacket and started reading the tag.

“This is for $3,000 dollars,” he said laughing. He held it up to his chest. The jacket looked like it would have fit a toddler compared to him. Raina turned around to look at some of the bathing suits on the rack. A minute later she heard Milan say from behind her

“Do I look like a sexy beast?” She turned around to see him wearing the tiny jacket. It looked extremely funny on him due to the fact that he couldn’t close the jacket because of its size and the bottom of it came up above his belly button. He wore some of the big eyed glasses that had big G’s on the side and a price tag still hanging off of them. He was in a very feminine pose with his hands on his hips. She started laughing and said

“You look like you’re a gay guy, all you need to complete the look is to die your hair bright green and get your nose and ears pierced.” He laughed and returned to his normal stance. He tried to pull the jacket off but got a surprised look on his face when he found it hard to move his arms in the jacket because of the tightness.

“Ray I can’t get this jacket off.” She just laughed and turned back to the bathing suits she was looking at. “No I’m not kidding; I can’t get my arms out of it.” She turned back around and walked over to him. She grabbed the sleeves and tried to pull the jacket downward off his arms but it was stuck tight.

“Dammit Milan if we rip this we’re going to have to pay for it.”

“I’m sure you can afford it, you’re the one with the rich father.”

“And you’re the famous hockey player who’s earning a million a year so you shouldn’t be talking.” She went around to the back of him and said

“Pull your shoulder blades in and make your arms go limp.” After doing what she said she grabbed the neck of the jacket and pulled as hard as she could. After giving three hard yanks the jacket slid off. Milan flexed his arms as Raina checked the jacket for any rips. She placed it back on the hanger and put it on the rack where it belonged. Milan took off the glasses and put them back and then said

“Let’s go see the shoes.” They walked into another fancy looking room that had another TV with a runway show playing on it. Small tables lined the walls that showed a large display of different shoes, most of them high heels. In the room there were six rows of cabinets that held different shoes. On top of each of the cabinets more displays of shoes were set up. Milan walked over to one of the displays and pulled a pair of the high heeled shoes off of a wire holder it had been placed in. He held it in front of her. The heel looked big, at least 8 inches or 9 inches. The shoe was a light blue color and had a strap at the top that held in your foot.

“Here try these on; it says it’s in your size.”

“Why?”

“Because I want to see what the perspective would be like if you were taller than me.” She took the shoes and sat down on one of the small benches. She pulled them on. Once she had them both strapped on she carefully stood up off the bench. Raina had always been skilled at walking and even running in large heels but the highest heels she’d ever worn were only 6 inches. She stood next to Milan, looking down at him.

“This feels so weird,” she said. “I’m always looking up at you.” She took a few steps in the heels feeling like a giant. She felt a little wobbly at first but then walked up and down the isle a few times feeling more confident and walking steadier.

“I think I got this,” she said walking back towards Milan who was smirking at her. Feeling even more confident she sped up her walking and to her horror she felt herself trip and fall forward. To keep herself from hitting the ground she instinctively grabbed the front of Milan’s shirt and pushed him. Hard. Milan fell backwards into one of the cabinets, knocking it over with a loud crash. The cabinet knocked into the next cabinet also sending that one over onto its side, throwing shoes everywhere. Raina fell on top of Milan, still gripping his shirt, and Milan fell on the side of the cabinet. They both sat there in shock for a moment, letting what had just happened sink in. Raina quickly pushed herself off of Milan who still was in a state of shock and quickly ripped each one of the shoes off of her feet.

“Come on we have to get out of here!!” she said whispering to Milan and grabbing his hand trying to pull him up off the ground. He pushed himself up off the ground only to reveal more damage. One of the cabinet doors had snapped off and been crushed under Milan’s weight. They both ran for the door, ignoring the store employees who were yelling at them to stop. As they burst out of the store and onto the sidewalk they didn’t stop running. They didn’t slow down until they reached the end of Boylston St. and crossed back onto Newbury St.

They were both breathing heavily and were hunched over against the side of a brick building trying to catch their breath. Raina was the first to start laughing and then Milan joined in.


Raina remembered how fun of a day that had been. She had made sure not to go back to Gucci for the next few months and then started shopping there again without being recognized.

“We’re here.” Raina looked out the window to see Milan’s apartment building. It was about 30 floors and she’d been here many times before and had missed it over the summer. Only a few times when she’d gone into Boston to shop and taken the longer way through Beacon St. where his apartment was. Milan pulled into the parking garage that was only used by residents and guests. He shut off the car and opened the door to get out. Raina did the same, feeling a blast of cool damp air as she stepped out. They rode the elevator to the lobby and then got out to get onto the elevator that would take them up to his apartment. The lobby had a white unblemished marble floor. The desk an older woman sat behind looked like it was made from some sort of expensive and rare wood you could only find in places such as the Amazon jungle. The elevators were made of a shiny type of metal, and the staircase that led up to the first floor was also made of the same marble the floor was. Since Milan lived on the top floor in one of the penthouses they took the elevator. The inside of the elevator was all mirrors except for the floor which was also made from white marble. They were silent on the ride up. Raina was getting more nervous about meeting Brittany. It didn’t take much to piss Raina off. What if she snapped under the pressure of seeing them together? What would Milan do? The elevator was used by everyone living in the apartment building but only Milan had the card that he had to insert into a scanner that brought them to the top floor. Without the card, nobody could ride the elevator to his apartment.

The elevator dinged, indicating that it had reached the top floor. The doors opened up to reveal a hallway with windows facing out at the city. The hallway was average; it had a dark brown wood floor, and painted light brown walls. At the end of the hallway there was a French door. It was made of dark wood to match the floor and it had a peep hole on the right left part of the door. Milan smiled and said

“Sorry if it’s a little messy, we’re still getting unpacked.”

“Oh don’t worry I’m sure it’s not any worse then my bedroom.”

The door wasn’t locked and Milan just opened it up. He constantly left it unlocked because he was the only one with the card to get up to his own floor with the elevator. This always worried Raina. She told him every season at least 20 times that leaving his door unlocked was still dangerous and he should at least lock it while he’s gone or at night. He just laughed at her and said that no criminal would dare go up against him if they had seen some of his hockey fights.

Milan’s apartment was beautiful. It consisted of three floors. The first floor was the one the one they were currently walking into. There were three rooms on the first floor. The kitchen, which they first walk into upon entering the apartment, the living room, and a bathroom. Each room, besides the bathroom had a wonderful view of most of Boston considering Milan was on the 30th floor. The second floor consisted of six rooms. Three bedrooms and three bathrooms for each one. The third floor was on the roof and half indoors and half outdoors. The indoors part of it was simply a glass enclosed area with a hot tub. Outside on the roof there was an in ground pool and another hot tub. Upstairs Raina could here a vacuum running.

“Wait here I’ll go get her. She’s probably cleaning up the bedrooms.” Raina nodded and took a seat at the kitchen table. Milan dashed up the winding stairs that led up to the second floor. Raina turned around in her chair and looked out at the city. Boston was by far her favorite place she’d ever been. It was her home. She had even developed somewhat of a Boston accent since she’d moved here. She heard the vacuum stop and then the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs. She looked up to see first Milan and then a girl. His girlfriend.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for the comments and reading :) hope you enjoyed it!!