Sequel: Hidden in the Shadows
Status: Completed :) Onto the sequel!!

Playing the Game of Love

Chapter Seven

October 4th, 2010
Monday
The Julien household, Lexington, MA
6:30 P.M.

Raina had just gotten back from shopping with her mother. She’d fallen asleep when she got home after practice until 1:00 and then went out with her mom. They had both needed dresses for tonight. Raina had chosen a stunning satin gold open back dress from Dolce & Gabbana that hugged her chest and waist and then flowed down her legs. The heels she had gotten were also from the same brand and also golden but a lighter shade and they put her up four inches. She usually wouldn’t want to appear so tall on a normal occasion but since the majority of the men here were well above 6’1” she was comfortable with it.

She chose a pair of large gold hoops for earrings. She usually brought a purse but since the party was at her own house she chose not to. She made sure to spray on some of the perfume she had gotten at Victoria’s Secret earlier. She curled her hair, and styled it with her brush and hairspray. She put on her make-up also using gold eye shadow. The color of gold had always gone well with her darker skin color and dark brown hair. By the time she was ready it was 7:00. She ran down to the first floor to find her father and mother greeting the owner of the Bruins, Jeremy Jacobs who had flown up from Wellington, Florida to be here. He had eight other children who were all above the age of 20 and had their own kids so tonight it was just him and his wife Margaret.

“This is our daughter Raina,” said her dad gesturing to her with a smile on his face. She’d only met Jeremy once when she was 15. She saw him every year at the beginning of the season at the parties but she had never been formally introduced to him. She smiled at Jeremy as she shook his hand and said

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Her father directed Jeremy and his wife into their dining room to show them around while Raina remained by the door. The next people to walk in were Doug and Shelley with their three kids behind them. With an excited squeal Shelly attached herself to Raina’s leg. She wore a cute knee-length pink dress with flowers on it.

“Hi Shelly,”

“You’re watching me on Wednesday right?”

“Yup, then I have to go to Prague in the morning.” Shelly stomped her foot and pouted and said

“I want to go but daddy won’t let me he’s making me stay home with Toni, Kris, and mommy.”

“Shelly, come on,” her mother called to her from the doorway of the dining room. The little girl ran off after her family. Suddenly the door flung open and she felt someone pull her into a tight hug.

“Ray I haven’t seen you in forever!!” she heard the thick Finnish accent and realized it was Jasmiina. She hugged her back and said

“I know I’m so happy to see you to Jaz, and you’re staying all season this year!!” the two girls pulled apart and Raina got a good look at Jasmiina’s face. She hadn’t changed much since when she last saw her. She still has her long brown hair that reached her hips, and she looked stunning in the strapless dark pink dress. Both girls were smiling brightly at each other. Tuukka, Vlad, and Blake still stood in the doorway watching happily as the two girls reunited. They all wore suits except for Vlad who was wearing dress pants and a white dress shirt.

“It’ll be so fun.” Raina nodded.

“Tuukka says you have something to tell me about.” Raina looked over at Tuukka.

“You told her?”

“No I waited; I wanted you to tell her.”

“Follow me,” Raina, Jasmiina, and the three boys walked into the dining room and then into the library and sat down on the large couch in between two large bookcases. Vlad looked around the room at the several bookcases and said

“Are literally all these books about hockey?”

“Yup every one of them,”

“How do you even find that many books about hockey? Did you like hire someone to go out to every bookstore and buy every hockey book in the store?” He said as he was reading the titles of the books off their spines. Raina ignored his question and turned back to Jasmiina.

“So what’s your problem?” Raina began to explain the whole Brittany situation. About halfway through she was interrupted by Vlad yelling out.

“HOLY SHIT MY NAME’S IN THIS BOOK YOU GUYS!!” Vlad was holding a book titled Black and Gold: Four Decades of the Boston Bruins

“No way,” Blake hopped off the couch, went over and grabbed the book from Vlad’s hands.

“My name’s in here too!!” Soon Tuukka got up to join them.

“Ha!! I beat all of you!! There’s a picture of me that means everyone likes me better!!” Raina looked back at Tuukka and said

“I bet you feel so special, and you’re having a major ego-boosting moment over there but I’m trying to tell a story,”

“Sorry, we’ll be quiet,” said Vlad not even looking up at her from the book. She rolled her eyes at the three of them who were all clinging onto the book like their lives depended on it and had their faces behind it.

“Anyway, so I’m happy now because I’ll have you here as another girl around besides that evil, conniving-”

“Hey guys,” All five of them froze and looked up. Milan was standing there with Brittany next to him. A few awkward moments of silence were broken when Vlad said

“Oh……. Hey,”

“So what were you saying now about evil, and conniving?” said Brittany glaring at Raina.

“We were just talking about…..” Raina tried to think of a quick excuse. Jasmiina saved her and said

“We were just talking about my cousin Katariina,” Brittany still glared at her suspiciously. Raina took note of her dress. It was very simple. It was entirely dark red, and loosely hugged the upper part of her body while the bottom half just hung down rather than elegantly flow out. She also wore heels, they were silver, and put her about three inches taller. She wore silver earrings to match. Milan was wearing a black suit but instead of having it buttoned up, he had left it open, giving it a sexier look. It was time to show off how well her dress complimented her body.

She stood up off the couch with her right hand placed on her hip. She strutted over to Milan, staring deeply into his eyes as she went, she achieved the reaction she wanted when his expression changed from nonchalant to shock and then what looked like desire. She felt his body stiffen as she ran her hand over his arm lightly. As she moved closer to him she heard him inhale sharply.

“Milan you remember Jasmiina?”

“Oh ahhh,” He seemed distracted at first, staring at Raina who hadn’t looked away. He shook his head slightly and then tore his gaze from her and came back to attention into what Raina had asked him. “Um, ya you’re Tuukka’s girlfriend right?” She nodded her head. “And you’re the brick wall on skates?” Milan laughed. The first time Jasmiina had ever met Milan was after a game where he’d gotten into a huge fight with Mike Komisarek and won.

“It’s sooo cold in here,” said Jasmiina rubbing her hands up and down her arms.

“Haven’t you been into a hockey rink before to see Tuukka play?”

“Ya but this place is colder than any of the rinks I’ve ever been into.” Jasmiina and Raina sat in the very first row of seats up against the glass in the TD Garden rink. The Bruins were playing the Montreal Canadiens, one of their biggest rivals, and they were winning 0 to 1 eight minutes into the first period. It was Jasmiina’s first time to a game in Boston to see Tuukka play. All was going well until Raina noticed a disturbance behind the Habs net. Milan and Mike Komisarek were pushing and shoving one another. Raina rolled her eyes and said

“He’s always getting himself into fights,”

“Who?”

“Milan Lucic, the teams enforcer,” the referees quickly stopped the fight before it escalated into a fist fight by grabbing each hockey player and bringing them back to the bench. She saw Milan waving and teasing a still pissed off Komisarek from the bench. She laughed and said

“He never lets go of any situation with another player on the ice until he’s pounded their face in,”

It was on the third period that Komisarek got what was coming to him. He approached Milan and two threw down their sticks and dropped their gloves and began throwing punches at one another. It was only a matter of seconds before Milan had thrown Komisarek down onto the ice. The referees grabbed Milan and pulled him off of Mike. He stood up and started taunting the Habs fans by yelling at them. The referee directed him towards the penalty box. He saw her in the crowd and skated over and banged against the glass with his hands smiling down at her. She cheered and smiled back. He then skated over into the penalty box.

“Wasn’t that great Jaz,” said a still smiling Raina. She looked over at her friend who seemed to be in shock.

“They’re allowed to fight like that?!”

“Yes that’s one of the many great things about hockey,” laughed Raina.

“Holy shit they looked like they were going to kill each other!! There has to be some rules for it.” Raina laughed and said

“There are,” Raina began to explain the rules for fighting and the different kind of penalties the players could get. Before they knew it the game was over and the Bruins had won leaving the fans in a very good mood.

Raina moved her way through the crowd, heading for the locker rooms with Jasmiina. When they walked in the majority of the team was circled around Milan patting him on the back or giving him playful shoves telling him had done a great job fighting Komisarek. She walked over to him smiling and said

“Nice fight Looch,” he smiled at her and said

“Thanks,” Jasmiina stood next to Raina looking up at Milan with a still shocked face.

“You’re really tall,” she said sounding amazed. He laughed and said

“Milan Lucic at your service,” he stuck out his hand to shake Jasmiina’s she stared at it for a few seconds and then shook it. His entire hand engulfed her tiny one. Raina smiled and said

“This is Jasmiina, she’s Tuukka’s girlfriend,”

“Nice to meet you,” said Milan.


“Is anybody else here yet?”

“Nobody we saw when we came in.” Raina then put on a obnoxiously fake smile and said

“Oh I almost forgot Brittany you’re here this year!! I’ll have to show you around my house.” She slowly backed off of Milan and heard him let out an exhale. Everyone in the room seemed to notice the tension between the two as all three of the boys had stopped looking through the book and was watching them. She hooked her arm with Brittany’s and dragged her out of the library. Jasmiina caught up to the two of them and walked beside Raina. They had left the four boys alone in the library, and more people had arrived. It looked like most of the team had arrived and halfway across the dining room David and Patrice came up to them. Before either of them could ask where the other four boys were Raina said

“They’re in the library,” David smiled and said

“Thanks,” as he walked past her he whispered into her ear.

“Good luck with her,”

“Thanks Krejci,” She patted him on the shoulder and continued to lead the way across the dining room.

“Brittany this is Jasmiina, she’s from Finland. She’s my best friend and she’ll be here ALL season,” She flashed an annoyed Brittany a smirk and said “Now that you’ve seen the dining room let’s go to the pool.” They walked outside to see more people were standing under the tent. She easily spotted Chara who was towering over everyone else underneath the white tent. He was there with his wife Tatiana and their infant daughter Elliz.

“Big Z!” he heard her calling and turned around to see her. He smiled and said

“Hey, nice party your dad set up this year.”

“Thanks,” After saying hi to Tatiana and telling Chara and his wife how cute their baby daughter was she said

“Hey have you met Milan’s girlfriend Brittany?” Chara looked confused and said

“He has a girlfriend? But I thought you two had a thing?” Although Raina couldn’t see Brittany’s face because she was standing in front of her she felt her gaze burning into the back of her neck and the waves of fury directed towards her.

“Oh no, what ever made you think that,” she said trying to sound sarcastic. “No, no he’s going out with her; he met her over the summer in Vancouver. Isn’t that right Brittany?” She turned around smiling coolly at Brittany who was now red in the face.

“Yes, she’s right we met in Vancouver.” Chara looked surprised and said

“Oh well that’s good,”

“I assume you’re not staying past 11 tonight?”

“No, Tatiana and I actually have to leave early around 8:30 to put Elliz to sleep,”

“Alright see you around then,” Before Elliz was born Chara and his wife would usually stick around after the formal party had ended but since their daughter had been born which was last year, they hadn’t stayed at any kind of after party the team held.

The three girls spent the next hour sitting by the pool. Raina was telling different stories about some of the ridiculous things her and Milan had done, making sure in each one of them to mention how close her and Milan were and how much she trusted him and valued their relationship. She could tell it was pissing Brittany off and she enthusiastically kept going on and on.

“Hey you guys, having fun?” Raina looked up to see a Tuukka, Vlad, and Milan walking towards them. Vlad wedged himself in between Brittany and Raina and said

“It’s so great to see you three getting along so nicely.” Tuukka took the empty seat between Brittany and Jasmiina on the cushioned wicker bench leaving only one seat open for Milan; the one next to Raina. He sat down next to her and she leaned into him feeling him stiffen at her touch again. She even thought she heard him let a soft groan.

“We’ve just been talking about old times,” she leaned further into Milan and turned her head so their faces were only a few inches apart. “I was telling her about the time we went into Gucci and knocked over the whole shoe display.” He stared into her eyes with same look of pure desire he had had on before. She had him hooked, and there was nothing Brittany could do about it while he was sitting there with her, she’d just have to grin and bear it. Milan laughed nervously and said breathlessly

“Ya that was- that was funny,” Raina turned back to Brittany and said

“I’ll have to show you that store when we go out shopping tomorrow morning.” Jasmiina stood up and said

“Well I’m going to get some wine. Anyone want to come?” Raina stood up off the bench and said

“I’ll come, what about you guys?”

“We’re coming to,” Tuukka said followed by Vlad. Raina turned around and smiled sweetly at Brittany

“We’ll see you later,” she walked off and caught up with Tuukka.

“He was staring at your ass when you stood up in front of him,” said Tuukka walking alongside her. “And when you guys left the library he said to me how beautiful he thought you were tonight.”

“Stop lying,”

“I’m not kidding Ray his exact words were ‘did you guys see how beautiful Ray is looking tonight?’ He looked all starry eyed too. To say you made an impression on him is an understatement.” She just rolled her eyes at him and walked off to get a drink.
__________________________________________________

This will be the last chapter posted until July 11th because I'm going on vacation. But don't worry I'll post the next chapter on the day I get back.

Here's Raina's outfit:
Dress
Heels
Hairstyle

Jasmiina's Outfit:
Dress

Brittany's Outfit:
Full Outfit

Milan's Outfit:
Suit

Here's the actual book that Vlad was reading:
Black and Gold: Four Decades of the Boston Bruins

Here's the fight that Jasmiina first saw Milan in in Raina's flashback:
It happened on 11/13/08