Captured

Ten

Image

Image

I couldn’t feel, couldn’t think, and all I wanted to do was sleep.

I was numb. I couldn’t feel a thing.

“We’re almost there, Miss Collins. Soon you’re be with your father again.”

I didn’t react to the man’s words, I just continued to stare out the window as the driver turned off the freeway.

My throat hurt, the flesh probably red and swollen, making it hard to swallow.

But that’s because I couldn’t seem to stop screaming until we were down the mountain.

And I only stopped because I could no longer form sounds past my raw throat

And, not only am I tired from screaming, but I couldn’t get the sight of Kaden’s lifeless body out of my mind.

And then his body is surrounded by flames, the evil burning fingers of the fire scratching over his skin and leaving reddened blisters.

A small strangled cry squeezed past my raw throat and I had to press my hand against my lips to stop it from expanding.

I can’t cry right now, not in front of these men.

But that didn’t stop another small cry from traveling out again.

The man sitting beside me, the leader, turned his dark green eyes on me, “It’ll be alright, Miss. Collins. Soon you’ll be safe with your father again.”

How do I tell them that I didn’t want to be saved? That all I want to do is be back in that cabin with Kaden?

What do I tell them if they ask me why I feel this way to the person who kidnapped me?

My head hurt, all these thoughts and feelings rolling and banging around until the pounding was just too much and another cry forced its way out, and this one was louder.

I sat, fighting an internal battle with myself, until the car turned onto the long drive that led to the house I share with my father.

The SUV didn’t even stop at the security gate, instead the guard took one look at the driver and let him through.

I watched as the house I grew up in came into sight. It was a large five story building with crème white painted walls. It was built to resemble the white house, but on a much smaller scale.

Not only was the house overly expensive inside and out, the landscaping was done to make one feel as if they were in two different worlds. The main lawn that surrounded the mansion was all rolling hills of grass and colorful gardens of flowers.

Then there was the forest that surrounded the house. It was designed to make a person feel as if they were in an enchanted place where fairies and unicorns frolicked in the sun.

As the SUV pulled to a stop in front of my house the front door was thrown open and my father stepped outside.

I noticed he didn’t even walk down the stairs to great me as the man beside me pulled me out of the car.

No, I had to walk up the stairs with this man’s hand grasping my upper arm tightly.

And my father never smiled until I was standing before him.

“I’m so glad you’re home safe.”

He pulled me into a hug, but it felt different.

It felt impersonal.

He pulled away from me, a small frown on his face, “I’m sure you’ve been through a horrible experience. Why don’t you go and relax in your room. I bet you’re tired.”

I nodded and stepped around him, heading up the stairs and into my room.

I was tired, so very tired.

And I feel asleep with Kaden’s face imprinted behind my eyes.

~*~

Brianne watched as her agents investigated what was left of Ghost’s cabin.

Bri thought he had destroyed this place after his parents’ death.

Apparently not.

“Night Owl!”

Turning from a blood trail that led from the cabin into the woods Bri looked up to see one of her agents running toward her.

Standing from her crouch Bri waited until Kevin stopped in front of her.

“What is it?”

“We found a body in the master bedroom.”

Bri frowned, “Can you identify it?”

He shook his head, “Only that it’s too big to be a female. The fire completely destroyed any hair and the body is too burned to look familiar.”

Bri nodded, “We’ll have to compare dental work.”

Kevin frowned, “But Ghost didn’t have any dental records.”

“Exactly.”

Bri looked back down at the blood staining the ground. Her brain already rolling with the possibilities.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a quick update....

I wanted to introduce Brianne because I'm thinking about doing a story for her....

But I'm not for sure yet...

So what do you think?