Captured

Thirteen

Image

Image

The hand over my mouth pressed tight, smothering more of my screams and cries.

I couldn’t see anything through the blackness, my sense of sight completely blind in this dank cell.

I began to hyperventilate, small whimpers leaking out.

God, who has me now?

Does this person work for my father? Is he getting rid of me like he did my mom?

Another cry forced its way passed my throat, growing more panic stricken as the person behind me pulled me against his hard chest.

“Shh, Matty. It’s me.”

At the sound of his voice relief spread through me causing my body to shake and fresh tears of joy to gather in my eyes.

Kaden.

He’s alive.

Pushing his hand from my mouth I spin around, launching myself into his arms.

“You’re alive. Oh, God, how? How did you survive?”

I couldn’t speak louder than the whisper that was smothered against his shirt.

His arms tightened around me, “I’ll explain it all later, but right now we’ve got to get out of here.”

Holding me close with one arm Kaden stood and walked to the back of the cell.

I followed him, still blind but trusting that he knows where he’s going.

Once we were at the back of the cell Kaden pushed me down so I was close to the ground.

“Feel along the wall in front of you, when you reach the tunnel crawl through. I’ll be right behind you.”

I nodded and did as he said. Using my hands I located the small tunnel and crawled through.

It was as dark in the tunnel as if was in the cell and I slowed down my pace, but kaden pushed me forward.

“Don’t stop, just keep going straight. We’ll be out soon.”

Swallowing away my nerves I crawled forward.

A few seconds later, when I reached a dead end, I started to panic.

“It’s okay, just feel along the wall. There should be a catch. Just press on it.”

Again I felt along the wall in front of me, pressing on the catch when I found it.

I smiled when the portion of the tunnel in front of me popped open.

Pushing the door the rest of the way I crawled out, only to stand up in the Maria’s room.

Frowning I turned to watch Kaden exit the tunnel, “Why are we-“

“Matty!”

I turned just in time to catch Maria as she wrapped me in a tight hug, “Oh, when I saw that awful man take you under to the cell blocks I didn’t know what to do.”

Stepping back I look between her and Kaden, “I don’t understand. How do you two know each other?”

Kaden gave a small smile, “That’s another thing I’ll have to explain later, but we really need to leave.”

He turned to Marie, “You need to come with us too. It won’t take long for Collins to figure out you’re the one to help me in.”

Maria nodded and quickly grabbed the small bag that was on her bed, “I’m already packed.”

Grabbing my hand and lacing our fingers Kaden pulled me through Maria’s open window, turning to help both Maria and I down.

Taking my hand once more he led us down to the street where he had a car hidden in the forest.

~*~

The next morning I woke up in confusion.

It took me a few seconds to realize I was no longer in my father’s cell.

I blinked up at the white ceiling as I put the pieces from last night together.

Kaden had taken Maria and I from my father’s home, rescuing me from that awful cell.

Then we had driven during the night until we were in Arizona, which was at least 2200 miles from my home in D.C.

We had driven in silence; the only time any of us had talked was when Kaden had informed us we were near Tucson, Arizona.

We exited I-10 at Cortaro, following that past Silverbell and making a right when Cortaro ended at Ina.

I was lost from there. All I know is that we drove over a mountain, passing a large brown sign that had stated ‘ENTERING SAQUARO NATIONAL PARK’ in big white letters that reflected from the car’s head lights.

I fell asleep after that. I don’t even remember walking from the car to the house.

Kaden must have c arried me in.

A smile spread across my lips.

He’s really alive. I didn’t imagine him.

Jumping from the bed and racing out of the room I run down the hall.

A little confused about where I was going I looked around and found myself in the living room. It was large and spacious with a Native American theme.

But no one was in the room.

Walking through the room I enter the kitchen where I see Maria sitting at the table drinking coffee and Kaden at the stove making breakfast.

With a large smile on my face I launch myself at Kaden, thankful he turned in time to catch me.

“God, I’d missed you so much.”

His deep voice sent warmth spreading through my body.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, aren't we all happy now?

Ya'll should have known I wouldn't kill Kaden.

I think I should get extra <3 points, lol