Captured

Fourteen

Image

Image

Maria cleared her throat, causing me to look up from Kaden’s shoulder.

“I’m sure Kaden can ignore the pain, but he is still healing.”

With wide eyes I immediately let Kaden go and step back, “You should have told me!”

Kaden shrugged and turned back to the stove, “The pain isn’t so bad now.”

I glared at him and moved to search for the plates.

“They’re in the cabinet above your head.”

Looking up I extract the paper plates and hand them to Kaden, helping him to bring the plates to the table.

Placing Maria’s in front of her I sit across from Kaden with Maria at the head of the table.

This way I can watch both of them as I ask my questions.

Cutting into my PBB, which has now turned into my favorite breakfast meal, I initiate my interrogation.

“How did you survive? I know you were shot at least once and I watched your cabin go up in flames.”

Kaden swallowed his food before answering, “The guy wasn’t that great of a shot. His first shot missed my heart and torn through the flesh in my shoulder. I remember blacking out for a little while, but came back around when they walked up the porch. By that time you were already gone and I couldn’t move my left arm. The second shot just skimmed my temple.”

Kaden tapped his head, causing me to notice the butterfly bandage along his temple.

Putting his arm back on the table he continued his story, “The guy was being initiated into their society-“

“The League.”

He blinked at me, “What?”

“Dad referred to them as the League.”

He gave a sad smile, “I’m sorry about your father Matty.”

I nodded, “We’ll talk about my dad later. How did you escape the fire?”

“As I was saying, the guy was a newbie and very nervous which caused him to miss the kill shots and when they came back to burn the cabin the newbie was instructed to stay close and make sure I burned in the flames.”

“But you didn’t.” I inserted.

“No, the flames never had the chance to reach me.”

I frowned, “But wouldn’t they suspect something when the investigation turned up no burnt body was in or around the cabin?”

Kaden stared at me, not saying a word.

And in the silence I figured out what he wasn’t saying.

“They found a body?”

Kaden shrugged, “If they haven’t yet, they will.”

I swallowed, “Who does the body belong to?”

Kaden remained silent again, forcing me to come to my own conclusions and whispering, “The newbie.”

Kaden nodded, “After his team left he got nervous and moved in to check if I was unconscious or not.”

“So when he was close enough you grabbed him.” I concluded.

“Yes.”

I bit my lip, “Was he still alive when the flames got him?”

Kaden raised his eyes to mine, “No. I made sure his death was quick. Does it bother you that I killed him?”

I swallowed and answered truthfully, “Yes and no. I hate the thought that you had to take life, but he tried to take yours and for that I can be a little glas that he’s dead.”
Maria laughed, causing us to look at her, “It doesn’t bother me that he’s dead. He was joining a group full of murderers and criminals.”

I raised my eyebrow, “Really? Don’t you work for one of those murderers?”

“I used to, but that was only to protect you.”

I frowned, “Me?”

Maria nodded, “After your father got rid of your mother I was put into that house to guarantee your happiness and survival.”

I looked down to my plate and push at the remaining food with my fork, “He said that she’s still alive.”

Maria didn’t say anything, but I caught Kaden’s nod.

I glared at him, “You knew? You knew my mother’s been alive this whole time and didn’t tell me?”

Kaden sighed, “No.”

Glaring at him I push my chair back and stand up, “You never thought I might want to know? Especially as I find out my father’s a murderer?”

“I thought about it, but I didn’t think it was a good idea.”

“Why?” My glare intensified

“It’s a difficult situation-“

“My life has turned into a difficult situation!” I screamed

Kaden didn’t back down, instead his stood as well and leaned toward me over the table, “And I didn’t want to make it worse. As far as I knew you already knew about her.”

“I know nothing! Everything that’s been happening lately has left me drifting alone on the river of confusion and misery.”

“Matty, you’ve got to understand-“

“Where is she?”

“Matty.”

“Where. Is. She?!”

Kaden sighed, “St. Mathew’s Hospital
I frowned, leaning back, “A hospital? Is she sick?”

“In a way.” Kaden said, falling silent at that.

“Why is she sick? What’s wrong?”

Maria cleared her throat, drawing my attention, “St. Mathew’s isn’t a regular hospital, Matty. It’s a mental hospital.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh!

Wow.... who knew that[/]i was going to happen?

I sure didn't until yesterday.

I wasn't going to have Matty's mom in the story, but she wouldn't leave me alone!

Matty's mom want's her say.

And who am I to deny her?

Hope you all liked it!