Captured

Sixteen

Image

Image

I had to wait two days before Kaden was able to take me anywhere.

I understand that he’s trying to keep me safe and away from my father, but I was growing impatient.

Then, after I was just about to go on a screaming rampage, Kaden told me to pack a small bag and anything else I needed on a plane.

We left from Tucson International and landed in Oklahoma where we rented a car, under fake names, of course, to drive the rest of the way to Kansas.

So now I’m sitting in the passenger seat of an old Toyota Corolla.

Kaden said he wanted to travel unnoticed.

I’d say he found the perfect car for that.

“We’re almost there.”

At Kadens voice I looked up from my lap to see us driving through some farm land in Kansas.

Further down the road I glimpsed the sight of multiple large buildings. As we drove closer I noticed there were three main buildings with a few smaller ones scattered around them.

“There are some things you should know before we see her.”

Turning from the hospital I look at Kaden.

He glanced at me before turning back to the road.

I swallowed, suddenly nervous, “What?”

“Your mother hasn’t had a visitor since your father put her here.”

I frowned, “But you said you brought Maria to see her.”

Kaden nodded and turned into the hospital’s front parking lot, “Yes, but I had to sneak her in. It was past midnight and everyone was asleep. Your mother didn’t know we were there.”

I watched as he parked the car, “Why? Why did you go while she was asleep?”

He turned the car off, but didn’t make a move to step out, “When your father placed her here he made certain that only family members could see her and with you believing she was dead he knew she would never receive a visit.”

I turned and glared out the window, “He really wanted to torture her, didn’t he?”

Kaden didn’t say anything and when I turned back to look at him he sighed, “There’s something else you should know.”

I swallowed, “What more could there be?”

“Your mother’s been here for a long time, since you were barely a year old. The only person who has contacted her was your father through phone calls.”

Kaden paused, gathering his thoughts, “At first she would fight him and the staff here, but over the years she grew to accept her situation and by accepting, she began to believe she belonged here.”

He turned to me, sympathy in his eyes, “She hasn’t spoken a single word, not even one mumbled sound, in the last ten years.”

I stared at him, the sudden lump in my throat making it hard to talk, “Ten years?”

He nodded, “I just don’t want you to get your hopes up…”

Not knowing what else to say I turn and step from the car, making sure to manually lock the door before closing it.

Dang, this car is really old not to have electric locks.

Feeling Kaden standing next to me I look up to see him give me a small smile before he took my hand in his, “Come on, we need to check you in.”

Together we walked into the main building, my hand clutching his for support.

If anyone told me only weeks ago that I’d be relying on someone who’d kidnapped me for support I would have thought them insane.

But look where I am now. Clinging to the one man I should probably be running away from.

The man I’m in love with.

That thought caught me so off guard that I stumbled; only staying on my feet since Kaden wrapped his arm to steady me.

He probably thought I was worried about meeting my mom… he’d never guess the real reason for my weakness.

Taking a shaky breath I resume walking into the lobby area.

The place was beautiful with large wall sized windows and fake potted plant scattered around. In the middle of the room was a circular reception desk with a homely looking woman behind it.

Walking to the desk Kaden spoke first, “We’d like to see Rebecca Collins, please.”

The woman looked over her reading glasses at us, her slightly grey hair pulled into a neat bun, “Mrs. Collins isn’t allowed any visitors.”

Kaden opened his mouth to explain, but instead I stepped closer, “I’m her daughter.”

The lad frowned, “What’s your name?”

“Matty Collins.”

The ladies eyes widened and she scrambled to get the proper papers, “Here, go on back and you can fill out the paper work later. I’m just glad poor Rebecca is finally going to see someone in all this time.”

She wrote my name on a sticky tag with a black marker and then handed it to me, “Go ahead. It’s just trough the door and to the right, she should be in her room, 209.”

Placing my tag on my shirt I gesture to Kaden, “Can he come in too?”

The woman gave a small smile, “I’m sorry, but no. Only blood relations can visit her.”

Kaden ran his hand over my arm, “It’s okay. Why don’t I fill out your paper work while you see your mom?”

“Thanks.”

Stepping around the desk I push open the door at the back of the room. Turning right I walk down the hallway, taking a second to breathe deeply before I enter room 209.

When the door opened a woman who was sitting by the window looked over. She had long wavy brown hair and the most captivating green eyes I’ve ever seen.

We stared at each other for a while before she suddenly smiled.

“My beautiful Matty.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Gasp! She talked! Matty's mother finally talked!

Ha, and another cliff hanger for you all.