Captured

Twenty

Image

Image

The next morning I woke to find Maria sitting on the side of my bed, a tray of yummy smelling things in her lap.

I smiled, “It’s been a while since you’ve brought me breakfast in bed.”

She returned my smile, “It’s not every day you get to see the little girl you once raised getting married.”

I glared at her, “We’re not getting married.”

“Kaden said-”

“I don’t care what Kaden said.” I interrupted.

“But-“

“No!” I practically screamed, “That stupid man has blown this whole thing out of proportion! I just figured out that I love him-”

I stopped, shocked at what I said.

Maria remained quiet while I struggled to sort my thoughts.

Lifting my eyes to her I whispered, “I love him.”

Maria smiled and sat the tray at my feet, “I know.”

“But,” I swallowed past the lump in my throat, “How could you know when I’ve just figured it out?”

Still smiling, she laid a gentle hand on my cheek, “You’ve always been my little girl and I’ve always been able to understand how you work.”

Then she chuckled, “Of course, you throwing yourself at him our first day here was a dead giveaway. I’m still surprised Kaden hasn’t figured it out yet.”

My eyes widened at the thought of Kaden knowing, “I can’t tell him.”

Now Maria’s smile turned upside down, “Why not?”

“He works for the government, Maria. He won’t want someone who’s always covered by the media. What if he has to go undercover, but that week the newspaper shows a picture of us together?”

I shook my head, refusing to let her speak, “No. It’s just better if we both go our separate ways after this whole thing is over.”

No longer in the mood for breakfast I get up and walk into the bathroom, silently closing the door behind me.

~*~

Kaden was just shutting down his computer when the knock on his door sounded.

“Come in.”

Turning when the door opened, he smiled and gestured Maria in, “What’s up?”

“I was just wondering what we have to do next…”

Kaden didn’t have to wonder what she was talking about, “Collins’ on the move. I need to get Matty to a better location, then I’m going to finish it.”

Maria nodded, her features thoughtful, “Are you going to kill him?”

“I have no other choice.”

She nodded again and turned to the door, giving him one last glance before exiting, “What would you do if Matty asked you not to?”

She closed the door before he could say anything.

But he couldn’t get that question out of his head for the rest of the day.

Would he allow Collins to get away if it made Matty happy?

He wasn’t sure he liked his answer to that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry for the wait!

Lots of things have been happening recently...

But here's another update!

Whoo!

And I know... it's short...

But y'all love it anyways, lol