Captured

Six

Image

Image

I watched as Kaden’s eyes flicked to the rear view mirror.

That had to have been the thirtieth time in the last five minutes.

When his eyes flick over once more I gave up my silence.

“Is something wrong?”

His eyes glanced at me before returning to the freeway, “Hmm?”

“Is there a problem? You keep looking behind us.”

He took a few seconds to answer, “We’re being followed.”

My eyes widened and I turned in my seat to look behind us, “Where?”

“The black Yukon. It’s about three cars back.”

I spotted the vehicle, but I didn’t notice anything suspicious, “How do you know?”

Before he answered he checked the mirror again, “I don’t. It’s just a gut feeling. I’m going to exit the freeway and see if he follows.”

Sure enough the Yukon exited after us.

With a muttered curse Kaden pushed me back into my seat, “Hold on.”

He turned onto a deserted road and shifted, accelerating the car.
Glancing over my shoulder I watched as the Yukon speed up as well, “They’re still there.”

“Damn. You better sit forward.”

Before I could even twist my body back around Kaden pressed the gas pedal, shooting the car forward. Grabbing the dash for support I tried to keep my stomach from protesting.

Looking over at the odometers my eyes widened, “This is a residential area! You can’t go ninety through here!”

Kaden ignored me and shifted again, this time accelerating past ninety-five.

God, it’s a really good thing kids are sleeping right now.

More curses exploded from Kaden’s mouth, causing me to look back behind us.

The Yukan was following right behind us.

“Damn it, they must have rebuilt their engine,” Kaden turned the wheel sharply to the left, causing the tires to skid.

At the next light he made another turn, never slowing down.

With my eyes wide as an owl’s I watched as Kaden continued to make random sharp turns, “Shouldn’t you be slowing down?!”

He made another left, “No. This car was built for speed and agility. Their Yukon was not.”

Looking back over my shoulder I watched as the Yukon turned in behind us, “It looks like they’re keeping up pretty well.”

“I know,” he growled.

Still watching the Yukon I steadied myself during another turn.

Then watched, shocked, when the Yukon tried to follow and instead plowed into a Dairy Queen.

“Oh my God…”

“Cocky bastards, they thought their big ass Yukon could keep up with my car.”

I sighed as Kaden slowed down to the legal speed and drove back to the freeway, one thought echoing around my mind.

Not once did I think to try to get away from Kaden while we were being chased.

Even when I knew the possibility was high that my father had hired those men to take me home.

So what does that say about my character, when I prefer to stay with the man who kidnapped me?