Captured

Eight

Image

Image

I refused to talk to Kaden for the rest of the trip.

And the trip was a long one, an hour drive up the snow peaked mountain.

I just couldn’t believe him. There was absolutely no way my father could kill all those people.

No way.

He used to dress up in pink dresses and drink fake tea to just make me happy!

I won’t believe my father’s a cold blooded killer.

Turned away from Kaden I watched as he guided the car carefully over the snow, making the last bend before a large cabin came into view.

Made with dark wood, the two story home stood surrounded by a large clearing. The type where one could see the surrounding area for about half a mile in any direction from any room in the house.

With a bare wraparound porch and unpainted shutters the house looked like something from the past.

Before paint or rocking porch chairs were invented.

When Kaden pressed a small button on the dash the garage door lifted open and he drove the car into the protection of the building.

With a flick of his wrist Kaden turned the vehicle off and opened his door, slamming it shut and walking around the car.

I watched as he reached to pull the handle to my door and just as he started to pull it open I shoved the door into him.

“Hey!”

Ignoring his complaint I step out and walk away from him, looking around the garage. It was just as bare as the porch. There were no tools or grease stains. No calendars or pictures on the walls.

It looked brand new.

The slam of a car door brought me back to Kaden, who was glaring at me.

“Why are you mad at me? I did exactly what you wanted. You wanted to know who their leader was even when I told you you wouldn’t like it.”

I glared at him, “I know.”

He blinked at me, “Then why are you mad?”

I groaned in frustration, “What would you do if you just found out your father is a murderer?”

“I wouldn’t blame other people and take my anger out on them.”

I watched as Kaden turned and left me standing by the car. Opening a door in the opposite corner of the room Kaden entered the house.

And when he slammed that door as well I rolled my eyes and followed him into the house.

~*~

Kaden ignored Matty as she entered the house; instead he focused on their security.

Walking to the security panel that was mounted on the wall by the garage door entrance Kaden entered the key code, the one that would halt the silent alarm that was activated when they entered the house. Then he entered a different code that allowed the system to put the house under a lockdown.

It would also send a text to his cell if there were any attempted entrances or exits.

With the cabin now secured Kaden turned and walked from the small hall and through another door into the kitchen.

Not bothering to look and see if Matty followed him Kaden walked through the kitchen and up the stairs to the second floor.

On the landing he continued forward past the three spare rooms and into the master bedroom at the end of the hall.

He stopped at the entrance to the room, gazing around.

The walls were painted white, there was a large king sized bed, one dresser, an empty closet, and a bathroom located through the door on the right.

Sighing Kaden turned and entered the bathroom to make sure it was stocked and clean.

Once that was done he walked through the other bathroom located down the hall between two of the extra rooms and finding that one stocked as well Kaden walked down the stairs.

Turning to walk through the bare living room Kaden entered the last bathroom in the house.

Just like the first two this one passed his inspection.

He turned to leave the bathroom and stopped, almost plowing into Matty.

She stood blocking the doorway, looking over the super clean bathroom.

“What’s wrong with this cabin?”

Kaden frowned, “What do you mean? There shouldn’t be anything wrong.”

She raised an eyebrow and stared at him, “You’re kidding, right? This place is way too clean and white. It’s like I’m in some kind of a surgical room or something.”

Kaden sighed and stepped past her, forcing her to move back, “It’s been empty for a while.”

Matty watched him walk back into the kitchen and go through the cupboards and fridge.

Following him Matty placed her hands on her hips, “If it’s been empty then why is it so clean?”

“I called a cleaning service before we left.”

Matty didn’t speak again until he looked at her, “Why is it so bare? It’s like no one’s ever lived here before.”

“It’s been a while.”

Matty glared at him when he didn’t say anything more, “Look, I’m sorry about what happened in the garage. I was upset and you were the closest person. I really am sorry.”

Kaden stared at her for a few seconds before sighing, “It’s early. You better go and get a few hours sleep before the sun rises. Take the master room, it’s the one at the end of the hall upstairs.”

Stepping around her Kaden walked up the stairs and entered the first room on his right.

Right now he just wanted to pass out before old memories came back to haunt him.