Status: Active—slowly but surely

Opposites Attract

Standing Up

After a quite uneventful lunch with the two girls life went on as normal. Except for the fact that Josh almost had a girlfriend but the way he was acting you’d think he just got one of those game show girls. He kept going, “Did you see the way she looked at me?” and “Gosh she’s so pretty…”

All I could respond was, “Good now lay off my sister.”

School went on normally and the rest of the classes I shared with Kelly went on without incident.

We practically ignored each other. So school ended and I could see Dannie coming near me. He was… running.

“Dude. Office. Now.” He panted but he looked clearly upset.

“Dannie, what’s wrong?”

“Riley.” He said and looked at me helplessly. “I told her not to, told her, tried…” He said hands on his knees. “So… sorry. Go.”

I took off top speed towards the office. I didn’t know what happened all I could think was what happened?

I got to the office and Jeremy was sitting in the waiting room.

“Jer?” I asked him breathlessly. He looked up helpless.

“Some kids were making fun of Danny. She hit one.”

“Big guys?” I asked now worried. He only nodded. My reassurance came soon.

“You can’t just let them leave! It’s people like them that make kids commit suicide. Murders by association. They were-“

“Miss Carwil, you need to calm down. The young men will be taken care of but until then keep that ice on your hand.”

My sister swept past the nurse saying, “Freaks.” as she passed the boys who obliviously said something to Dannie. I knew exactly which one said it. He was developing a black eye.

Jeremy stood up. “There’s nothing wrong with me let’s just go home!” she said brushing past us obliviously angry and annoyed. Not hurt. Dannie appeared in the office. Riley grabbed his arm and pulled him outside. I don’t think she meant to as hard as she did.

A few minutes later Dannie, Jeremy, Riley, and I were sitting in the car. Josh had gotten a ride from Zoe.

“Want to talk about it?” I asked her.

“You don’t want to even get me started.” She growled.

Dannie who was sitting next to me was muttering. “Why does a 14 year old have to protect me? I’m so pathetic.”

“I’m going to be 15 in April.” She pointed out. “Plus I wanted to hurt that dude. He’s the one who tried to get Jeremy in trouble anyway.” She was fuming.

“Jer?” I asked wanting to get info.

“About a week ago he told the principal I did something when I clearly didn’t.”

“Speaking of principal…”

“I’m not in trouble.” She said.

“How so?”

“I was provoked. I was standing up for another fellow student who was being put down. I was exercising my right to protect the meek...”

“Meek?” Dannie asked and looked at me.

“Ok let’s not get all fancy Miss Washington.”

“Whatever.” She growled.

We dropped Dannie at home and he walked dejectedly inside. Poor kid. He didn’t understand my sister has an impulse to jump before looking. That’s what makes her, her.

“What’s Mom going to think?” I asked her.

“Does it look like I care? My reasons were sound. She can ground me I really don’t care. I’m proud of myself.”

“Sure are.” Jeremy muttered.

“Shut up!” she said “I did that for you too.”

“I could have taken him myself.”

“No you wouldn’t. You would have run away you little chicken.”

“Stop it!” I screamed at the two of them. They both shut up.

When we got home mom and Morgan answered the door.

“I beat up an 11th grader at school today.” Riley said passing her in the door. My mom’s mouth gaped open and looked at me and my brother for confirmation.

“Yeah.” I said simply

“Black eye.” Jeremy finished and we walked past her into the house. She slowly turned around closing the door.

“Do I want to know?” She asked.

“No.” Jeremy and I said at the same time.

“Who’d she beat up?”

“I don’t know,” Jeremy said “Some kid named Jace.”

Again, oh crap
♠ ♠ ♠
Sometime I love my characters...