Everyone Learns Faster On Fire

Chapter 30: 14th April 2006

Jamia was hanging up her smart jacket in the wardrobe when Frank left the bathroom. She turned around swiftly at the high pitched sound of the door creaking as it opened.

“Hey, hun. Looks like Louise booked the table for the wrong evening!” She said with a smile, explaining why she was back so early and closing the wardrobe. “I think were going next - ….oh, er…hi Gerard.”

Gerard had followed Frank out of the room and stood beside him, with a hand placed on his shoulder in a clique-like way. Frank noticed he had also added a smaller plaster to his chin. The smile quickly faded from her face and was replaced by a look of confusion as she looked between the two men. It looked extremely suspicious to her. She wasn’t stupid. Frank was topless and Gerard, who had just come out of the bathroom with him, was now slipping his shoes back on.

“Gerard hurt his leg a little way down the road.” Frank announced before she could suspect anything. He could practically hear the hundreds of accusations and questions buzzing around in her brain like a live wire. “He came over and I managed to clean him up a bit.”

There was silence.

“Yeah, your boyfriend is a right little Nurse Nightingale!” Gerard laughed lightly and even went as far as limping over to perch on the foot of the bed for added authenticity. “I somehow managed to fall flat on my face and scrape my whole leg up. Thank God he was in! I don’t think I would have made it all the way home with blood dripping down my leg!”

Jamia frowned slightly and looked at Frank directly with a piercing stare. “Were you showering together?”

Frank shrugged. “What? No.”

“Well why did I hear the water running then? And where’s your top?”

‘Oh shit,’ Warning bells went off in Frank’s brain. ‘Maybe we didn’t think this through carefully enough. But we’re not wet or anything, so-’

“My leg was pretty bloody and so was my chin, so he cleaned them up for me.” Gerard saved him just in time. “Seriously, blood was everywhere. I looked like a fucking vampire! I didn’t wanna put my leg up on your sink or anything, I’m not as flexible as him! So we just used the shower head. I hope you didn’t mind...”

Frank nodded and played along. He noticed his shirt on the floor by her feet and immediately found a fake explanation to his problem. This was easier than he first thought.

“Yeah, he called just as I was getting in the shower.” Frank said as he walked over to her feet to pick up the discarded item of clothing. “I just pulled my jeans back on and answered the door. The way he was knocking, you would’ve thought the leg was falling off!”

Frank’s heart was having a riot in his chest. Would she buy it? He felt so immoral and guilty lying to her, but he had to act this way otherwise he would lose Gerard. Frank put his shirt back on and prayed that when it was over his head she wouldn’t go for his neck.
Thankfully, Jamia’s face relaxed and Frank’s bouncing pulse returned to normal. She looked quite proud of his ‘nursing’ work.

“Well, as long as you’re alright, Gerard.” She said, walking over to him. “Do you want me to take a look at it? I’ve got some antibacterial wipes in the bathroom?”

She knelt down and gently touched the plaster on his chin. Gerard flinched slightly and glanced at Frank in panic.

“No, no. That’s fine.” Gerard said, jumping up off the bed and edging away from her like she was diseased . “Frank put some of that anti-septic cream stuff on it from the first aid kit you guys have. Honestly, I‘ll be okay.”

She raised an eyebrow and got up from the carpeted floor. “Well if you’re sure. Do you want a drink or something? We’ve got plenty of coffee?”

“No, thank you. I really should be getting back. My car’s just parked around the corner.” Gerard edged towards the open door that led out into the hallway. “I’ll see you Monday then, Frank. Thanks for everything. Bye Jamia.”

They said their goodbyes and Gerard left promptly. Frank was gutted. He was looking forward to a long evening with Gerard, but instead he had left within the hour.
He slumped down onto the bed, which was still covered with the rose petals, but now in the shape of a demented square rather than a heart. He laid there for a few moments, staring at the ceiling before Jamia returned.

“Frankie? Are you okay?” She asked with a concerned element to her voice, sitting down on the edge of the bed. “What are all these flowery things for?”

Frank sighed. “Er, it was meant to be a surprise for you. But I’m feeling kinda ill now. We’ll do it some other time.”

Jamia said something but his ears had switched off, blocking her out. She got up off the bed and wandered into the bathroom. A few seconds later, she came out again, holding a piece of material or something.

“Since when have you worn Calvin Klein?” She asked, holding up…Gerard’s underwear.

Frank sat up, eyes wide in shock. Gerard wasn’t here to make up some lame story this time.

“I-er-I…” he babbled, trying to think like Gerard. “My mum got me them for Christmas last year…I haven’t worn them yet.”

She shrugged and put them in the laundry basket. Frank flopped back down again and shut his eyes ready for sleep. The quicker this day was over, the better. Maybe he could go and see Gerard tomorrow and continue where they left off. Or maybe they should just give it a break for a while, things were getting far too dangerous for his liking.