Everyone Learns Faster On Fire

Chapter 35: 10th May 2006

Mikey sat crossed-legged on the grass a fair few metres behind the bench Frank and Gerard were currently cuddling on, tossing the Polaroid camera nervously between his hands. He pulled his woollen beanie over his head a bit more and adjusted his sunglasses. He felt like such a creep taking pictures of his brother and best friend doing things to each other. He hated playing the part of the 007 spy. Who cared if Gerard knew about it? He would never be able to look Frank in the eye again.
And he wouldn’t be sitting here if Steve hadn’t bailed out on them at the last minute. He had sort of discovered what was really going on and decided that he didn’t want to be a part of it, which Mikey could now understand. Mikey had always said that he would do anything for his brother, but this seemed to be going against his morals. Gerard had complained about Frank being dishonest, but wasn’t this being dishonest toward Frank?
Frank lent in to kiss Gerard on the lips and Mikey reached for his camera. He waited for the almost instant photograph to develop and added it to the growing pile in his messenger bag. He had taken about fifteen shots so far, from them walking hand in hand to Gerard’s house, kissing on the doorstep, and one that made Mikey feel physically sick - buying condoms together in the pharmacy. It just wasn’t right for his mental health to have to see something like that from his best mate and brother.
It was getting stiflingly hot and Mikey began to sweat under his disguise. The sun had moved around, and the shade from the nearby tree had edged over to the pond, exposing him to the warming rays. He had zipped his overcoat right up to his chin and his oversized sunglasses began slipping down his clammy nose. He began hoping that it would start raining or something so Frank and Gerard would retire to one of their homes and continue their romantic adventure there, where Mikey would not be able to enter without Frank suspecting anything.

“Stop it!” He heard Gerard protest between fits of giggles as Frank jokingly nibbled his earlobe. Mikey flinched and took another photograph. He could see Gerard discreetly glancing over his shoulder every few minutes to make sure he was doing his work properly.

Frank got up from the bench and settled himself down on Gerard’s lap so he was facing him, and began attacking him with kisses. Mikey edged over towards the tree a little more so he could get a better angle. He pressed the button on top of the camera , but it clicked and did nothing. The film must’ve run out.
Following the orders Gerard had given him a few hours previously, Mikey put the used camera back into his bag and pulled out his phone. Gerard had told him that if anything particularly juicy happened and the camera was out of exposures, he was to use his crappy mobile phone camera instead.
He stepped forward to get a closer shot. He was dangerously close to the couple now, and was lucky that they hadn’t seen him. He took a few pictures before his mobile phone started ringing shrilly. Frank and Gerard glanced up at him.
Not knowing what the hell to do, he ran back to the safety of the huge oak tree, which was quite large in diameter and hid behind it with his back resting on the bark. What if Frank had seen him and realised who it was? His heart was jumping up his throat. He noticed that Alicia’s name was flashing on the caller display and answered it.

***

“What the hell?!” Frank laughed as he watched the man a few feet behind them almost jump out of his skin and sprint over to the tree. He was dressed way too inappropriately for the heat wave they were currently enjoying. “Did you see that? His phone just rang and he split!”

Gerard forced a laugh and turned to watch him disappear behind the tree. “Yeah…seems a bit dodgy to me…Come on, shall we take this back to my place? This sun is making me feel a bit funny.”

Frank ran his tattooed hands through Gerard’s hair. “Sure thing Gee…are you feeling alright?”

Frank was awfully confused. A minute ago, they were kissing, laughing and generally messing about in the way they always did when they were together, but in a matter of two seconds Gerard’s complexion turned paler than usual and he seemed distracted. Maybe he really was feeling ill.

“Yeah, yeah. I‘m fine.” Gerard said and kissed Frank on the nose. “Let’s just go home, smoke cigarettes and have sex.”

Frank giggled and slid off his lap. “Sounds like a plan.”

They began walking down the tarmac path towards the exit, with Frank‘s arm slinked around his boyfriend’s waist. The man was watching them suspiciously.
Maybe the heat was getting to Frank too, because he could’ve sworn he saw Gerard mouth a few words to the overdressed man taking his call.