Everyone Learns Faster On Fire

Chapter 44: 22nd May 2006

Dear Gerard,
You don’t know me. Well, maybe you do.
I understand you have a boyfriend. What’s his name? Frank Iero? The same Frank Iero engaged to a woman?
Well, I believe that when you receive this, the engagement will be off. Am I right?
Of course I am. I bet you’re wondering how I know all of this? All I can say is that I know your car registration number and I know exactly how many tiles are on the roof of your porch.
I’ll spare you the witty banter and cut straight to the juice. Remember the friend of your brother, the one who ‘spies on people for money’ as you so humorously put it? I am that man. My name is Steve Nestor. Jamia’s cousin. I am the man who gave those photographs to her. I am the one who let you and your boyfriend live together happily ever after.
Do I feel ashamed of myself for crushing my cousin’s dreams of the perfect wedding? I certainly do not. I believe this was best for her. She deserved to know what a lying, filthy cheater her darling fiancé really was. I hope you enjoy him. Enjoy having sex with him the same way as I enjoyed watching it time after time.
No need to thank me. He’ll take care of that. Your loved one will repay me in time. Good day to you.


Gerard read the letter over and over to make sure he had all the details correct. This guy was actually admitting to stalking them for the past few months? It didn’t seem real. He couldn’t understand how anyone could do that to their own cousin. He wondered if Jamia knew.

“What? Gerard, what does it say?”

Gerard handed the letter to Frank to let him read it’s shocking contents himself. He watched as Frank’s panicked eyes danced over the green ink identical to the lettering on the envelope. He gasped and Gerard guessed that he had got to the ‘Jamia’s cousin’ part.
The second to last line still replayed over and over again in Gerard’s brain, trying to grasp what it meant. Your loved one will repay me in time. What was that supposed to mean? Gerard shivered. It sounded like a threat.

It was only when Frank’s shoulders began violently shaking that he realised his boyfriend was crying. Gerard took the tearstained letter from him and held him close, cradling his head against his chest.

“He’s going to kill me.” Frank sobbed into his t-shirt.

“Not if I kill him first.” Gerard whispered and kissed his head. “This guy may be a private detective and know all the skills, but I’m going to hunt him down. I’ll hunt him down, and he’s going to wish he was never born.”

Gerard let go of the terrified man and moved to the open front door.

“Did ya hear that, you son of a bitch!” Gerard shouted into the deserted street outside. “No one threatens the man I love! I’m gonna get you! Feel my wrath, you fucking bastard!”

The last few words echoed around the street, rebounding off the lifeless houses and still trees. He stood there for a moment, looking for any sign of anyone watching the house. He knew he was out there. Of course this man wanted to be there when the letter was opened, just so he could see their reaction. The twisted freak.
Gerard felt Frank’s soft touch on his hips. He turned around to see Frank’s glazed expression, and wished for a reason for him to smile again, the way he had smiled when singing along to the songs on the radio in the car, just ten minutes before.

“I’m calling the cops.” Gerard said finally, brushing past Frank and moving into the kitchen. “I don’t care what Mikey says, this guy is going down.”

Frank followed and got in the room just as Gerard was removing the phone from it’s cradle.

“Frankie, please go upstairs.” Gerard said quietly, in fear of Steve being able to hear. “Just go in the bedroom and I’ll be up in a few minutes.”

Gerard’s fingers were about to dial the number when the sound of Frank’s small voice stopped him.

“Gerard, don’t call them.”

Gerard looked at him in confusion.

“But why?” Gerard asked in exasperation. “Frank, this guy could hurt you.”

“I don’t care.” Frank calmly argued. “Just don’t do it….We can take this guy on ourselves. Whatever he’s going to throw at me, we’ll throw it back harder. If he tries to beat me up, I want you to jump out of the bushes and tackle him to the ground. We’re stronger than this Gerard. The cops won’t do anything. We’ll get through this together.”

Gerard felt nothing but pride and adoration for the man standing in front of him at that moment. He put the phone back in it’s stand and hugged Frank tightly, feeling his own tears of happiness fall down his cheeks.
Frank was right. They could do this. Steve Nestor had better watch out. Frank and Gerard were ready for him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, if you guessed who the letter was from correctly, I applaud you!

Annnnnd...just to let you know, this story is almost coming to a close. Just a few more chapters remain! *boo hiss*
Which is a shame, because I really enjoy writing this one. But hey, it's got to end somewhere!