Everyone Learns Faster On Fire

Chapter 48: 1st November 2006

Frank zipped his hoodie up under his chin as the bitter autumn wind and rain battled against him. Jersey wasn’t exactly the warmest of states, but it was very unusual for it to get so cold so early in the winter. He shrunk down in his thick clothing, trying to preserve his body heat.
The man walking beside him noticed his shivering and wrapped his leather jacketed arm around his waist, pulling Frank closer. Frank smiled and done the same, resting a gloved hand on Gerard’s hips and sinking into his larger frame.

“Twenty-eight more days.” Gerard said simply. The passers-by would’ve not known what this meant, but to Gerard and Frank it was a big deal. Frank giggled and nuzzled into Gerard’s chest, which was quite difficult seeing as they were walking, but Gerard supported his body and Frank continued to move his feet in that natural walking motion.

Frank could not wait to be known as Mr Iero-Way. In twenty-eight days, this would be the case. He couldn’t wait to wake up the morning after as a married man. He couldn’t wait until they would spend their first Christmas together. All these simple things that people took for granted excited him and he was sure his fiancé was looking forward to them too.
Barely days before, their band’s third album The Black Parade had hit the shelves. Usually they would be touring their asses off about now, doing interviews for every television show and radio station possible and posing for photo shoots. Never in a million years would he have imagined that their management and record companies had agreed to let them have a week off to get married and honeymoon, let alone a week off now to prepare for the wedding.
They had worried about the fans. What did the fans think of them taking time off just as their new album was released? Did they realise they would be breaking hundreds of teenage girls’ hearts by announcing marriage? Or maybe it excited a few? All these questions ran through their minds, but they were pleased and relived with the response they got. Ever since announcing their relationship publicly through magazines and the internet, they had received positive feedback from almost everyone. They were glad that My Chemical Romance fans were so understanding and supportive of them at the best time of their lives.
The rest of the band was grateful for the time off too. They had been working tirelessly to finish the album and promote it for months and months. October had been particularly stressful. Time off now would be a good thing. They needed some calm before the storm.

“Nearly there, babe.” Gerard said, noticing how tired Frank was looking. The celebrations from Frank’s twenty-fifth birthday gathering the night before had left them both completely drained this morning. Gerard had even invited Mikey along today, but he called up this morning and said he didn’t feel too good. Not surprising after the amount he drunk.

“I’m getting old.” Frank groaned, his feet beginning to burn.

“Old?!” Gerard laughed. “Twenty-Five is not old!...Guess who’s turning thirty next year?!”

Frank giggled, removed his hand from his waist and placed it in Gerard’s back pocket instead. “You look nothing like thirty! And besides, age is nothing. Even if you were one-hundred I’d still love you the same!”

“Pfft!” Are you suggesting something Iero?” Gerard joked, playfully poking him in the chest. Frank exploded with more giggles, earning themselves some very confused looks from the persons passing by. “I’d like to see you as an old man!”

“Well, stick around for another few decades or so and that pleasure’s all yours!...Gee…where is this place? We’ve been walking for ages and I’m freezing.”

Gerard rolled his eyes. Frank was never one for walking. It was his idea to take the bus instead of a car anyway, as part of his new resolution to do more for the planet. He was all for what Frank was trying to do, but the buses annoyed him. Full of irritating teenagers blasting their rap music loud and tormenting other passengers, mothers and their screaming children, old ladies with hundreds of shopping bags…maybe he was getting like an old man!

“It’s not my fault they put the bus stop miles away.” He replied, while noticing that Frank’s nose was cutely turning red in the coldness. “It’s only around this corner anyway. We’ll see it in a minute.”

They carried on walking and turned the corner Gerard mentioned. The street was full of busy shoppers, most of them probably getting started on their Christmas shopping early. The wind fought against them as they weaved in and out of pedestrians laden with bags and bags of purchases. Gerard groaned as an old lady’s groceries accidentally collided with his knee. He hated shopping. Thank God they were shopping for something a little more significant than bananas and Coco Pops today. Just one shop and then home, that was the plan. Or maybe one shop, Starbucks, and then home. He felt that Frankie and himself may need some warming up in the shape of a latte or two after walking in this weather.
The jewellers they were heading to came into view and they fought their way to it. It stood on a lonely corner at the end of the street, where luckily there was very few people to get in their way. Frank let go of Gerard’s arm and wandered over to the window, taking in the sights of the glistening gold and sparkling silver jewellery.

“Wow, so many diamonds!” Frank said, pointing at a dazzling diamond encrusted bracelet sitting on a plush purple cushion. “If I was a girl, would you get me that, babe?”

Gerard laughed, mainly because he had caught sight of the $7,000 price tag. Not that he wouldn‘t be prepared to spend that much on Frank, it was just a ridiculous price for a bit of jewellery. “Who says you can’t wear it if you’re a man? I reckon it would look good on you.”

They quit joking around and got back to business. Gerard noticed the picture of a bride and groom and beckoned Frank over to look at the rings.

“They’re all so beautiful.” Frank said, finding it difficult to tell Gerard which ones he preferred. “I really can’t choose. You choose, honey.”

Gerard was left with the same dilemma. He was torn between the plain gold wedding bands, which were simple and sweet, and the gold rings with a while gold strip in the middle, which were very individual and slightly more expensive. But it didn’t matter. They had enough money for both, so the price didn’t really bother them. But there was something about the simplicity of the gold ones that Gerard just loved.

“Shall we just go for the plain gold ones?” Gerard suggested, pointing to his choice. “It seems so stupid spending a huge amount of money on something so materialistic. It’s the sentiment that counts.”

“Yeah, I like those ones too.” Frank agreed, slipping his hand in Gerard’s. Gerard smiled and kissed him softly on the cheek.

They went into the shop and came out half an hour later, having spent $1,000 on the rings they would use to seal their vows in a few weeks. Butterflies were still flapping around in Frank’s stomach. He still couldn’t believe that this was real, that he was really going to be Gerard’s husband.

“How about some coffee?” Gerard said, pointing over the road at the Starbucks in front of them.

“Sure!”

They entered the coffee shop, feeling the comforting warmth on their skin and aroma of fresh coffee filling their lungs. Frank sat down on one of the big armchairs in the corner, while Gerard went off to get their beverages. It was surprising that he could get such a good table, seeing as the place was packed out with people. The coffee shop was so noisy with the sounds of people chatting and laughing, it was a shock that Frank could still hear the jazz music playing over the clatter.
His fiancé returned with two cups of steaming hot cappuccinos and a giant cookie for them to share. He set the tray down on the little wooden table and sat on the chair opposite Frank, facing the window.

“Those rings are really pretty.” Frank said before taking a sip from his coffee. “Can I see them again?”

Gerard nodded and took the little black box out of the bag he was given. “I really can’t wait to put this on your finger. Be careful you don’t drop it. I don’t fancy having to scour the floor for two rings with this many people around.”

Frank took the box and admired the rings carefully, watching them shine when they caught the light. He was about to close the box and return them safely to Gerard, when two teenage girls appeared at the side of the table.

“Oh my god! Are those your rings?! They’re so pretty!” The blonde girl squealed. Frank noticed she was wearing a ‘Revenge’ hoodie and he knew they were in for some autograph signing.

Frank smiled. “Hi! And yes, they are our rings. Do you want us to sign something for you.”

“Yes please!” The other girl practically screamed. Gerard laughed and took a pen out of his inside pocket.

“Make it to Amanda and Lizzie.” The blonde girl said. “Oh, you guys are just so cute together! We love the new album!”

Frank and Gerard signed a spare napkin and the girls thanked them before they scuttled off out the door and into the rain. Frank’s gaze met Gerard’s and they laughed at the way they were told how ‘cute together’ they were.
Gerard lent over the table and took Frank’s hand, entwining his fingers in his grasp. Frank looked over at the clock on the wall opposite him. It was almost half past twelve.

“Twenty-eight days plus an hour and a half.” He said, squeezing Gerard’s palm and gazing into his hazel eyes. “Then you’ll be officially mine.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going on holiday and won't be back until the 27th. So unfortunately there will not be any updates until i get back.
I only have the final chapter left to post and i promise you're going to love it! x