Everyone Learns Faster On Fire

Chapter 49: 28th November 2006 - The Final Chapter

1:35pm. Twenty-five minutes left to go.

Frank’s mother was fussing once more, taking the black bow tie from her son’s neck for what must have been the twentieth time that afternoon and retying it, making sure it had no creases and ensuring his collar was perfectly straight.

“Mum! Seriously, stop fussing!” Frank laughed, causing the middle-aged woman to frown once more and straighten the creases that had appeared on his jacket from just standing there. “You’re making me nervous. I’m wearing clothes, so just leave me alone!”

Linda sighed and looked at her son impatiently. “Frank, don’t you want to look perfect for your big day? Think of all the people. Don’t you want them to think you look handsome or not?”

It was like being fifteen again. His mother, doing what all mothers do, was worrying over the slightest little crease in his shirt, or the strand of hair on his shoulder. Frank didn’t care about what the guests thought he looked like. He was only thinking of one man right now, and one man only. As long as Gerard thought he looked good, that was all that mattered. Hell, if Gerard wanted him to turn up in a pink tutu and antlers he would do it.

“Listen mum, I’m fine.” Frank assured her. He had to look up slightly because his mother was wearing heels that were way too tall for her to walk in. She had worn them to every wedding since the eighties. “Just go outside and sit down with everyone else. The more you tweak this and adjust that, it’s going to end up looking worse than it did before you started.”

Linda swept a stray hair away from his face before giving up, stepping back slightly to admire her work. “You could do with shining your shoes a bit more, but everything else is fine. And I’m not leaving until the minute before you walk down that isle! I’m your mother and you shall do as I say.”

Frank had heard that most of the time it was difficult for parents to let their kids go before they got married. His mother’s actions this afternoon had pretty much proved this theory.
He stepped over to the wall length mirror next to the fireplace and looked himself up and down. He hadn’t worn a suit like this since his high school prom. It was difficult to imagine how beautiful Gerard would look because he had never seen him in a suit either. The suit was plain black, and he wore a white shirt tucked into black trousers. His shoes were shiny enough to see his own reflection in and they had already begun to rub against his heels. It was simple, but sharp. The strangest thing about the outfit was the bow tie his mother had insisted on his wearing. He had never worn one in his life and regretfully had to ask her to tie it for him. She was making him feel like a nervous child on the first day of school with the way she was dressing him up like a doll.

“How many minutes left?” Frank asked, reaching for another breath mint.

“About twenty.” Linda said, getting down on her knees and shining the aforementioned shoes for him. “I think most people have arrived now. I know Aunt Alison was stuck in traffic, but she said that she’ll be here at ten-to-two at the latest.”

Frank was really getting butterflies in his stomach now. Keeping to the ‘good luck’ tradition, Frank and Gerard had spent the night before the wedding separated from each other. Gerard had stayed at the house as usual and Frank had slept in the spare room in his mother’s apartment, seeing as he had managed to sell the one he used to share with Jamia a few months back. He still didn’t know if Gerard had arrived in the building yet. He kept thinking about all the movies where the innocent bride was stood up at the alter, crying her eyes out. Frank hated to admit it, but he had had awful recurring dreams where the same was happening to him. He trusted Gerard would show up, but the whole secrecy thing before weddings did nothing for his nerves.

1:50 pm. Ten minutes to go.

“Mum, do you know if Gerard’s here yet?” Frank asked, once again fiddling with his hair that his mother had slicked to his head in an attempt to make it stay in place.

“Gerard? Why would I? I’ve been in here with you the whole time.”

Frank snorted at an idea he just had. “That’s why you should go outside with everyone else. Then you can find out for me.”

Linda laughed. “Why would I do that? And why would you want to know anyway?! Doesn’t it ruin the whole fun of getting ready separately and waiting to join your loved one down the isle?”

Fun? Was this supposed to be fun? It was making him extremely nervous if anything. He was starting to feel a bit sick.
Frank ran over the vows once more in his mind. He knew that the minister would get him to repeat them after his lead, but he still imagined that he would make a terrible mistake and make a fool out of himself in front of everyone.

“You give the rings after you’ve said all the vows, right?” He checked. He was now pacing around the small room, working up a sweat.

“On Frankie! Please stop worrying! You’re going to be fine out there.” Linda said, pulling her son into a hug and kissing him on the head. “Just don’t worry about it, alright? Do you know how proud of you I am right now? And your father is too. This is meant to be the best day of your life, so please just enjoy it.”

A warm feeling seemed to swell up in his chest. It had been so long since his mother had said she was proud of him. His parents being there was part of the reason he wanted it to be perfect. He wanted to do himself good and make them feel proud that he was their son.

Frank moved over to the bay window that looked over the garden. He pulled back the curtains and gasped at the amount of people who were sitting there. More or less all the little wooden chairs were occupied. In ten minutes all eyes would be on him as he walked down the isle between them. He started feeling slightly unsettled again.

“Don’t look out there!” Linda said, guiding her son away from the window. “I know you’re nervous. Just don’t think about all the people being there. This is about you and Gerard.”

Frank nodded, knowing she was right. They had wanted the wedding to be fancy. They had wanted it to be a day for everyone to remember, but really they would be the ones who were going to remember it clearly for the longest amount of time. If he just kept thinking about being Mr Iero-Way in less than half an hour and blocked out all the bad thoughts of getting tongue-tied or tripping up, he would be just fine.

There was a knock on the door and Frank’s mother answered it. It was Ray, dressed in a suit similar to Frank’s but without the uncomfortable tie.

“Frank, it’s time now.” Ray said and Linda disappeared into the depths of the reception building. “You ready?”

Frank nodded and popped one last tic-tac mint before he left the room, his heart beating like a drum.

*

“So remember, I’ll give you the ring and then you put it on Frank’s left hand. Not the right. On his forth finger. Got that?”

Gerard rolled his eyes and got up from the chair he was currently perched on, brushing his suit down. “Mikey, for the third time, I know! Just…go and comb your hair in the bathroom or something. You being here is making me ten times more nervous than I already am!”

Gerard had hardly gotten any sleep the night before. He was so used to Frank laying by his side that the empty bed felt so desolate and threatening. So threatening that he slept for about 2 hours and then spent the rest of the night smoking cigarette after cigarette. And it wasn’t just because he was feeling lonely. The thought of screwing up his vows and ruining the whole ceremony for Frank played on his mind. He wasn’t a particularly religious man, but he prayed that today would go well.

“Hey man, I’m not leaving.” Mikey smirked and pulled back the curtain to reveal what seemed like hundreds of people taking their seats. “I want to prepare you for that.”

Gerard felt the need for another Marlboro again. He reached for the packet that was sitting on the coffee table, but his little brother grabbed it before it was in his reach. Gerard groaned and sank back into the chair.

“Nuh-uh.” Mikey shook his head and handed Gerard a piece of minty gum. “Do you want to taste like an ashtray for the big kiss?”

He took the gum reluctantly. It just didn’t taste the same as a cigarette. It’s not like Frank would mind him tasting like that, seeing as he hadn’t succeeded in his attempts to give up yet. They still smoked together before bedtime and shared cigarettes over breakfast rather than gum, so the minty alternative seemed like a bit of a stupid idea at this time.
Gerard glanced up at the clock on the opposite wall. It was almost two o’clock. He watched nervously as the second hand ticked slowly round it’s plain white face. It seemed to be taking hours rather than minutes.
Bob had then appeared at the door and said something inaudible to Mikey. They both then smiled and beckoned Gerard to the open door.
Showtime.

*

The sounds of cheering and applause exploded from around them as their lips collided to seal their vows. Their lips felt perfect together. Gerard moaned into the kiss and Frank felt like laughing joyfully. They had never kissed in front of this amount of people before. Not like this anyway. And knowing that they could now do this as a legal couple made the experience even more exciting.
Gerard pulled away and took in the sight of his husband, stroking the new ring on his finger with his thumb. Frank looked beautiful, even more since they were married.

“You’re all mine now.” Frank said, standing on his toes to whisper in his ear. The warm feeling of elation seemed to wash over Gerard’s body.

They walked hand in hand down the isle together, wearing equal expressions of joy on their faces. They watched as their family and friends rose from their seats and clapped, knowing that this was surely the best day of their lives. And surprisingly, the ceremony had gone smoothly without any mistakes, which made it that extra bit special.
Suddenly, white flakes began falling all around them. At first glance, Frank expected it to be the paper confetti people usually threw at weddings, but it wasn’t until a flake fell on his nose that he realised it was snowing.
He felt the cold flake melt on his nose, turning to water almost instantly. Gerard laughed and kissed the space where it had been. Frank done the same.
They reached the top of the isle and ascended the steps that led up to the reception area, where tables would surely be set up now for everyone to have a three-course meal. Before they entered together, they turned around so they were facing out over the sea of chairs and people, watching as the pure white snowflakes fell gracefully to the ground.
Gerard took both of Frank’s freezing hands in his own, staring into those loving orbs of hazel speckled with brown. Frank smiled toothily at him.

“On to the honeymoon and the rest of our lives.” Gerard said, and led his new husband into the warm and welcoming building, heated by the fireplaces that were no longer threatening to them.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that’s the end! Sorry the last chapter took a while.
I really hope you guys all enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. And a huge thank you to all my commenters and people who have given me their views on the story. Your encouragement and complements have meant so much to me and urged me on to keep updating as frequently as possible. <3
At this moment in time, I have no idea if there will be a sequel or not. To be honest, I have no idea how I can continue and relate it back to this storyline. So much has happened in this story and it seems more like three than one!
But I do have another Frerard themed story. It’s called ‘And We’ll Paint The Town Red’, but be warned, it is rather different than this one. So check that out if you have a chance.
Ash xxx