Everyone Learns Faster On Fire

Chapter 6: 27th May 2004

A couple of years had past, and not only had the young, up-and coming band from Jersey grown older and wiser, they had grown to treat each other like a family. A family of brothers who all shared the same passion for music, and desire to succeed in changing something on this crazy planet we call home.
They had enjoyed underground success with their debut album, and were now in the process of making yet another masterpiece. And now, as four of the five members waited patiently in the studio on that humid Thursday morning for their final brother to arrive, the youngest member sat puzzling to himself over how the hell this little band, which started off as just something to do, had now turned into a huge project and was about to change the lives of millions of people, young and old, around the globe.
Frank could have never predicted that this band would even play a show, let alone get signed to a major label. It just blew his mind. And the thing he enjoyed most about this exciting journey was the fact that he was sharing his experiences with his best friends.

Frank was abruptly distracted from his thoughts by a crash and a bang, and then the high pitched creak of the door opening to reveal the late band member. Gerard apologized for his tardiness and swiftly sat down on the sofa next to Ray, doing a poor job of trying to conceal the look of sheer excitement on his face.

“What’s up with you?” Mikey asked his older brother, looking confused. “You look like you’ve just found a hundred dollars or something!”

Gerard continued to smile like the Cheshire Cat, “I’m just happy, that’s all. And I think you will be too when I tell you the news I’ve just heard! Word on the street is that our old friend Jake Hughes is having a little Eyeball Records reunion at his place, and we’re invited.”

The remainder of the band stared blankly at the smiling news bearer, as if to silently ask what on earth he was talking about.

Gerard sighed. “Come on! You guys know Jake! The guy that helped us book our first show.”

A light bulb seemed to flash in Ray’s mind. “The one with the crooked teeth?”

“Yeah, that’s him!” Gerard laughed and relaxed when he saw looks of realisation spread across his friends’ faces. “The party’s next Friday.”

Bob, who was perched on an old filing cabinet covered with tatty notices and stickers, spoke up. “Nah, sorry I can’t. It’s my parents’ wedding anniversary that weekend and I’m flying back home on Friday morning. My sisters throwing a party for them.”

Gerard turned to Ray, who was sitting next to him on the comfy leather sofa. “Sorry. It’s my brother’s birthday, and you know, we’re doing family stuff.” Ray said, but when he saw the look of disappointment unfold on Gerard’s face, he added a quick, “But I would have loved to have gone.”

Gerard couldn’t help but feel a little saddened. He had thought that everyone would have loved to have gone to the party to meet up with a few old friends they hadn’t seen in a while. He understood that people had already made plans which could not be cancelled, but he had wanted this to be a thing they all could do together. He wanted to show everyone at the party who My Chemical Romance was, and flaunt his band around a bit to the people who had helped them become who they were.

He forced a smile. “Don’t worry guys, it’s okay. I’m sure there’ll be other times. Me, Frank and Mikey will go and enjoy ourselves instead.”

Mikey shrunk back in his seat, as if he was afraid of his own brother. “Well…” He started and averted his eyes to his lap. “I was planning to go to the movies with Alicia that evening. Because…y’know, I’ve been a bit busy recently and we haven’t been spending much time together. And I did promise her. Sorry.”

“What? You’d rather go and see some chick flick with your girlfriend?! Come on Mikey! I thought I could count on you!” Gerard complained like a spoilt child. “Why don’t you bring her along with us if you really wanna spend some time together?”

“That wasn’t the type of romantic evening I was expecting.” Mikey muttered, fiddling with the stray thread on the hem of his t-shirt.

Gerard groaned. His brother was being extremely difficult, but he didn’t want to get into an argument. He really wanted Mikey to come along. He wanted everyone to come. But at least Ray and Bob held valid reasons why they couldn’t. “Can’t you do something with her another time? What about tomorrow?”

Mikey, not wanting to get into some sort of sibling rivalry which was becoming quite common in the stress-filled times of recording an album, eventually gave in. “Fine, I’ll come along. But I’m explaining to Alicia that this is your fault. Man, Gerard! You get me in so much trouble!”

Cancelling dates with girlfriends and family members seemed to be becoming a regular occurrence for the band, with many recording sessions sometimes overrunning into the early hours of the morning, or even on precious weekend days. Gerard knew that Mikey was struggling to balance work and personal life, and he sympathised with him.
Pushing his guilty feelings to the back of his mind, Gerard got up from the sofa, wandered over to the fresh new mini fridge that had been installed not too long ago, and took out a Diet Coke.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a bit of a 'filler' chapter just to set the scene for the next one.
The next chapter will have more action, promise =]