When You Read Between the Lines

“I’m in love with Faith. I’ve loved her since the day I met her. I knew she was the one but… Nick got to her first.”

****

“Being around them made me start to think about when we’ll have kids.”

“Ha, that won’t be for awhile.”

“Sorry?”

“Well there’s no way we can think about having kids at the moment… we’ve only been married two months.”

“But, it’s not like we have to build up for anything. We have a house. We have money. We have a great family to support and help us.”

“Faith. I’m just not ready to be a Dad yet, okay? Can we drop it?”

“Fine.”


****

“I can’t wait to be a Dad.”

“You will be.”

“When?”

“When you find the right girl.”

“What if I already found her?”

“Then… you should go and get her.”


****

“Who was that?”

“Who was who?”

“Don’t fuck around with me Nick… I saw you put your cell phone away.”

“I’m sorry.”

“That better not have been John, Nick, or I swear to God…”

“Um…”

“I knew it! You can’t go less than twenty four hours without calling someone about the stupid record!”

“Faith, this is my job!”

“And I’m your wife Nicholas. Think about that next time you say anything about your job.”


****

“Faith… do you love Nick?”

“Joe… of course I do. You know that.”


****

“Your Mom called this morning when you were in the shower.”

“What about?”

“She wants our help setting up Frankie’s party. She was wondering if you could work on music.”

“I don’t know if I’ll have time.”

“Why not?”

“Well… I work, Faith.”

“And what, Joe, Kevin, Dani, and I don’t?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“Not everything revolves around you, Nick. Take five minutes to think about Frankie.”


****

“So, you and Faith are very close for in-laws.”

“Yeah but it’s like that with my other sister-in-law too.”

“Oh. I didn’t know you had another brother.”

“I have three brothers. Faith hasn’t mentioned them?”

“Just you… and her husband of course. Though I can’t quite remember his name.”

“Nick, his name’s Nick. So… She hasn’t mentioned Kevin or Frankie at all?”

“No, she mainly talks about you and your job and how funny you are.”

“What does she say about Nick?”

“Not much. Mainly that he works a lot. She usually gets pretty quiet when she talks about him. When she talks about you, I can see the happiness in her eyes. That happiness is gone when she talks about Nick.”


****

“Nick, this dress is beautiful. Why did you choose these?”

“Well, to be honest, I thought they were fitting.”

“How so?”

“I’ve realized that I’ve been such a beast to you. Pun intended, hence the Beauty and the Beast costumes. I figured it could be a little joke between us because in the story Belle was able to see past the Beast’s attitude and they fell in love.”

“Nicholas Jerry Jonas that is probably the most romantic explanation I’ve ever heard to the picking out of Halloween costumes.”


****

“You need to prove that the feelings you think you have for Faith are real. You also have to prove the feelings that you think she has for you are real.”

“But no matter what I do I think I’ll end up hurting Nick and possibly hurting Faith. I hate the way he treats her but he’s still my brother, Charlotte. I don’t know if I can hurt him.”

“I know you don’t want to but Joe, if you can make things better, you’re going to have to.”

“So what should I do?”

“You need to get her alone. No family, no distractions, so obviously not tonight but it has to be soon. Then, you’re just going to have to lean in and kiss her.”

“You want me to just spontaneously kiss my sister-in-law?”

“It could go one of three ways. One, she could end any kind of relationship with you. Two, she could pretend that nothing like that ever happened and try to keep your relationship as it is now. Or three, she could leave Nick, for you. It’s your decision Joe. How big of a risk are you willing to take?”


****

“Saturday night I have made dinner reservations at Rosewood Mansion. I’ve also hired a car to pick you up and bring you there since I’ll be working out in Dallas that day and won’t have time to come back and get you.”

“Rosewood Mansion! Nick, that is possibly the fanciest restaurant in Dallas!”

“I know.”

“I can’t believe you planned all this. Thank you.”


****

“We need to talk.”

“I know.”

“So?”

“Not here. Not tonight.”

“Then when, Faith? We haven’t talked in two days. Everyone can tell that something’s going on and they’re going to start asking questions.”

“I know. I know but I just can’t Joe. Not right now.”


****

“Nick, it’s me. I’ve been at the restaurant for about half an hour now and you’re still not here. I don’t know if you’re stuck in traffic or what but if you could call me that would be great. Call me. Bye.”

“Mrs. Jonas, can I help you?”

“Can you give me the number of a cab service please?”

“Of course. Do you want me to call them for you?”

“That would be wonderful, thank you.”

“A cab will be here in ten minutes. Can I get you anything else?”

“Unless you can bring me my husband no thank you, the cab is enough.”


****

Those were the thoughts… the memories… that ran through their minds as his rough hands slid up her body. His fingers grazed over her bra as he pulled her shirt over her head. Their breaths came in pants as they made their way to the bedroom, a trail of clothes leading down the hallway. The sensation of the friction between them was like nothing either of them had ever felt before. It felt real. It felt right.
  1. Unraveling
    Faith heads to Kevin and Danielle's house.
  2. Do You Remember?
    Joe needs to talk to Kevin.
  3. Shout It Out
    Faith decides to head home.
  4. Blood, Gore, and War
    Joe calls Faith freaking out.
  5. Bennett & Hughes
    Faith calls home to tell her parents.
  6. Falling Upside Down
    Joe has had enough of Nick.
  7. Beating Hearts
    Faith invites Joe over to see her parents.
  8. I Feel Bad
    Joe prepares himself for the family dinner at Faith's.
  9. So... Good Talk
    Faith is upset about the night's events.
  10. 50/50
    Joe stays with Faith.
  11. Keep Holding On
    Faith calls Lizzy.
  12. Buster's Bar
    Joe is late for a photo shoot
  13. Dr. Greene: OB/GYN
    Faith has her first ultrasound.
  14. The Perfect House
    Joe has a surprise for Faith.
  15. D-Day
    Faith and Nick go to meet with their lawyers and the judge.
  16. Full of Surprises
    Christmas Eve has come to Texas
  17. Dear God
    Faith says a prayer for her father.
  18. A Christmas Surprise
    Joe does something special for the family for Christmas.
  19. Girl Talk
    Faith goes to her doctors appointment with Dani and Lizzy
  20. A Slight Complication
    Joe's life gets a little more complicated with just one simple sentence.