When You Read Between the Lines

The Perfect House

“Melanie… Sophia…” Joe said, scrawling the names down on a piece of paper, adding to the list in front of him. Looking up at the screen he clicked and typed in a new search and began scanning. “Bryan… Jason… Matthew…”

“Spill.”

Joe hastily closed the windows on his screen and flipped the list over, looking up to see who was standing in the doorway. He let out a sigh when he saw it was Charlotte. She stood with her legs crossed as she leaned against the doorway, her blonde hair held up in a bun by two pencils. She motioned to the chair at the desk across from Joe and he nodded his head.

“What did you say? Sorry, I was distracted.”

“So I noticed,” she said, a smirk on her face. “You were muttering names?”

“I was?” he asked casually, pretending that he hadn’t been.

“Baby names?” she asked, her smile growing wider. She crossed her legs and leaned forward, resting her elbows on her top knee and her chin in her hands. Joe sighed and bowed his head down, trying to hide his smirk. “I knew it.”

“Ok, you got me,” he said, rolling his eyes.

“No offense or anything but… isn’t it a little early to be doing that?”

“Probably. I can’t help it that I’m excited.”

“I know you can’t. I just think that… it’s a little premature,” she said, shrugging her shoulders and Joe cleared his throat before sitting up in his seat. “I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have…”

“No,” he said, holding his hands up in front of him. “It’s alright. You were just speaking the truth. It’s just… Faith came by the other afternoon. After her first OB appointment.”

“Did she have any news or anything?” Charlotte asked excitedly.

“Yes, she brought me a copy of her one month ultrasound photograph. You can hardly see the fetus but if you look closely you can tell. She said that the doctor said it’s a very normal fetus and that Faith should just be taking pre-natal vitamins and watching what she eats and the pregnancy will go smoothly.”

“Oh it’s all so exciting!” she said, her smile growing wide. The phone rang interrupting their conversation and Joe reached across his desk to answer it.

“Hello?” he asked.

Joe, it’s Mike.

“Hey, Mike. What’s up?”

I was just wondering if you would like to visit that house you were interested in. The family is going on vacation this week and they want me to squeeze in as many open houses as possible.[/i[”

“Yeah, that would be great!” Joe said enthusiastically. Charlotte looked at him, confusion etched across her face. “When do you have free?”

How does this afternoon at four thirty sound?” Mike asked.

“That sounds great. Thank you so much, Mike.”

My pleasure. See you later.

“Goodbye,” Joe said, hanging up the phone.

“What’s turned you into Captain Smiley Pants?” Charlotte asked, a whimsical smile on her face.

“That was my real estate agent. He has an open house spot for Faith and I. this is good, Charlotte. This house is perfect.”

“Does Faith think it’s perfect?”

“Oh, Faith doesn’t know yet,” Joe said casually as he opened up his email account.

“Joe… you can’t be serious,” Charlotte said, leaning forward in her chair.

“Why not?” Joe asked as his fingers typed away at the keyboard as he responded to an e-mail. The clacking sound of the keys was the only sound heard in the room as he waited for Charlotte’s answer.

“Well… you can’t just surprise a pregnant woman with a house she’s never seen.”

“Charlotte, relax. I know what I’m doing,” Joe said, looking towards Charlotte and giving her a smile.

“Joe, please, just listen…”

“Char! I know Faith is going to love this house.”

“Okay… I’ll bite,” Charlotte said, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms. “How?”

“It’s right around the corner from Kev and Dani’s. Faith has always loved the size of the yard and how beautiful the exterior of the house is. The moment that house went on the market I jumped at it.”

“Well Mr. Jonas, for your sake I hope you’re right,” Charlotte said, standing up. Joe shook his head, a smile on his face as Charlotte walked out of his office. Just as he was about to actually continue working his phone rang again.

“Hello?” he asked, a lot of noise in the background was making it hard to hear.

Hey, Joe.

“Frankie? What are you doing? Aren’t you at school?”

Of course I am. It’s our lunch break right now and no one’s paying attention. I just wanted to ask you something,” Frankie said, explaining the multitude of noise.

“Oh, okay. Shoot.”

I was wondering if I could come over to your place around seven tonight. I already checked with Mom and she said it was fine if you said yes.

“Yeah, sure. Want me to pick you up?”

Sure.

“Alright. But… any special reason why you want to come over tonight?”

I just want to talk is all. But listen, I’ve got to go. I’ll see you later.

“See ya,” Joe said, hanging up the phone. As he picked back up with his work he couldn’t help but wonder what his youngest brother was really up to.

****

After work Joe jumped in his car and headed straight to Faith’s house. His heart was thumping fast from the excitement of being able to take her to the place where he hoped they would be living together in the very near feature. Pulling into the driveway he saw Faith’s car and he smiled even though he knew she’d be there anyway. He felt like a fool.

Stepping out of the car he walked along the cobblestone path to the front door. After ringing the doorbell he stuffed his hands in his pockets as he waited for someone to open the door. A huge smile appeared on his face when he saw Faith standing there, the sounds of the living room television making their way to where he stood.

“Joe, what are you doing here?” she asked, a smile on her face.

“I have a surprise for you. Are you busy?” he asked, nodding towards the living room where her mother looked over and smiled at them. Joe lifted his hand in a waving gesture before looking back at Faith.

“Not at all. We were just watching television.”

“Do you think they’ll mind if I steal you away for awhile?”

“I think they’ll survive,” she whispered, winking her eye. “Go start the car up while I let them know.”

“Okay,” he said, turning around and heading back to the car. He slid into the driver’s seat and put the key in the ignition, turning it as the engine roared to life. Faith stepped out onto the porch and shut the door behind her before heading to the car. Joe jumped out and opened the passenger door for her.

“Thank you,” she said as he shut the door for her and he smiled in return.

“So, how are you feeling?” he asked as he backed out of the driveway.

“Fine. I’ve had some morning sickness. Dr. Greene said that would most likely happen and it would have been my first sign of pregnancy if I hadn’t found out before.”

“So, nothing to worry about,” he said, nodding his head as he took a left turn.

“Right, it’s perfectly normal.”

“Good.”

“Where are you taking me anyway?” she asked, leaning forward in her seat to look at the street signs.

“I told you it’s a surprise,” he said, looking towards her, a smirk on his face.

“Not even one little hint?” she asked, holding her thumb and forefinger a few centimeters apart.

“Not even one,” he said, shaking his head, the smirk plastered on his face.

“Fine,” she said, turning her head to look out her window. Her eyes widened in recognition of where they were. “Why are you taking me to Kevin and Dani’s?”

“I’m not,” he said, passing their house and continuing down the road.

“Joseph, have you gone mad?”

“Possibly,” he said, turning right and pulling up against the sidewalk in front of the house.

“What’s this?” she asked, tapping the window, pointing towards the house.

“A house.”

“I know it’s a house,” she said, rolling her eyes. “Why are we here?”

“See that sign?” he asked, reaching over and pointing to the area of lawn near the driveway.

“Yes.”

“I’m hoping that in a few hours there will be a red SOLD sign sitting on top.”

“You brought me here to buy a house?”

“Sort of,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. “I brought you here to see it and then maybe we’ll buy it. I know you’ve always loved the outside and the lawn so I’m hoping you’ll love the inside just as much.”

“We’ll see about that,” she said, stepping out of the car onto the curb. Joe walked around the car and joined her, linking his fingers with hers.

“Welcome,” Mike said enthusiastically as Joe and Faith walked along the brick path to the front door. Joe reached his hand out to shake Mike’s hand.

“Good to see you Mike. This is Faith.”

“Nice to meet you,” Faith said, shaking his hand.

“It’s a pleasure,” Mike said smiling. “Come on in and I’ll show you around.”

Joe and Faith followed Mike inside. Joe had already gone on a tour of the house once so instead of looking at the rooms, he watched Faith’s reaction. When they got to the kitchen he thought for sure that her jaw would drop to the floor.

“It’s huge!” she said, walking around the center island.

“It’s almost twice the size of your kitchen,” Joe said, a smile on his face.

“It’s beautiful.”

“Hook, line, and sinker,” Joe said under his breath. Faith walked back over to him and they followed Mike upstairs.

“There are four bedrooms in this house.”

“And two bathrooms,” Joe added.

“Don’t forget the master bath,” Mike added winking at Joe.

“Joe… this house is perfect,” Faith said, placing her hand on his chest and looking at him. “But isn’t it too much?”

“Faith, I’ve lived in an apartment for years. Do you realize how much money I have saved? Plus when we sell your house that will just add onto it. I promise you we’ll be fine.”

“I really do love it,” she said, turning around to look out at the house.

“So do I,” he whispered in her ear.

“Okay,” she whispered, turning back around to look at him. He smiled before leaning down and kissing her.

“I’ll draw up some papers and call you tomorrow Joe,” Mike said, shaking Joe’s hand.

“Thanks Mike,” Joe said, taking Faith’s hand and leading her outside back to the car.

****

A few hours later Joe and Frankie were sitting on the couch in Joe’s apartment, a half empty pizza box sitting on the coffee table. Frankie took a sip of his Coke and looked at Joe who was wondering what Frankie wanted to talk about from the moment he hung up.

“So…” Joe said.

“Yupp,” said Frankie, setting his Coke down.

“Is something on your mind Frankie?”

“Well… yeah,” Frankie said, shrugging his shoulders.

“What is it?”

“Promise you won’t get mad?”

“I promise,” Joe said, frowning, his eyebrows furrowing together as he felt concern for Frankie.

“You have to be honest.”

“Scout’s honor,” he said, crossing his finger over his heart.

“Okay,” Frankie said and Joe could hear him swallow. “What will you do if the baby is Nick’s and not yours?”

Joe sucked in a breath and blinked his eyes a few times. Frankie looked at him expectantly and at that moment Joe realized that his brother really was growing up. At the moment he didn’t seem like your normal sixteen year old boy.

“Honestly… I’m not quite sure.”

“Will you still marry Faith?”

“God, I hope so,” Joe said, shaking his head.

“But what if she thinks it would be best to stay with Nick?”

“She told him that no matter what she could never be with him again,” Joe said defensively.

“That’s what she says now. What about eight months from now?”

“I don’t know, Frankie.”

“Well, would you be able to deal with Nick being in and out of yours and Faith’s life constantly?” Frankie asked and that’s when it hit Joe. These are the questions he was subconsciously asking himself for the past month. He couldn’t help it. He broke down crying.

“I don’t know… I just don’t know…” he repeated over and over.

“Shit. Joe, I’m sorry,” Frankie said, putting his hand on Joe’s shoulder.

“I just… I love her so much Frankie. We’re buying a house. We’re going to get married. I need this baby to be mine. Everything needs to fall into place.”

“I know man, but there’s the possibility that they won’t.”

“Yeah, I know, and that’s what’s killing me. Nick doesn’t even want kids yet. I’ve wanted to be a father since the first time I held a baby.”

“I’m sorry,” Frankie whispered as Joe put his hands over his face, praying to God that this baby would be his.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SO SORRY. You don't even KNOW.

But I am back at collge so it is just a tad bit hard to find time to write for this. But I had time today so here it is!!! Hopefully the next chapter won't take AS LONG but we'll see.

Poor Joe, huh? Let's keep the guessing going! Joe's or Nick's????

Thanks so much for reading this and for your patience when I'm working on getting a new chapter out!

~Steph <3