When You Read Between the Lines

Girl Talk

New Year’s Day had gone by and the Christmas decorations that Joe put up in Faith’s house had been taken down and put away. William was going to spend his last day in the hospital that day. Meg, Kevin Sr., and Denise would be going to pick him up while Faith ran some errands with the girls. Faith and her family had visited him every day, that includes the Jonas’… except Nick who went occasionally… with Charlotte… who happened to be the topic of discussion.

“Well I think they’re dating,” Lizzy said from the backseat of the car as Danielle drove her and Faith to the doctor’s office for Faith’s appointment.

“Why can’t people just believe Nick when he says that they’re just friends?” Faith asked, turning to look at her sister.

“Oh come on, Faith. I know you were married to the guy but you really are bad at figuring out when he’s lying now-a-days. You used to be so good at it,” Dani said, slapping her hand gently on the steering wheel.

“Yes I was married to him and I do know when he is lying, thank you very much.”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night,” Dani muttered and Faith sighed.

“Look, you two believe whatever you want but right now I am going to believe Nick when he says that he and Charlotte are just friends.”

“But why? Faith, he brings her to the hospital with him to visit Dad. I don’t know this woman. Hell, Dad doesn’t know this woman. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t think that’s acceptable,” Lizzy said determinedly.

“I get where you’re coming from… I really do… but I’m going to believe him and neither of you can sway my opinion.”

“You didn’t answer my question,” Lizzy said.

It was silent in the car as Faith thought of how she would answer. She looked and saw Dani glance at her, waiting for an answer. Faith looked down at her hands as she twisted them in her lap, a slight bump forming on her stomach.

“Because somebody has to,” she whispered, glancing up. Dani wasn’t looking at her but she gave a slight nod showing that she understood.

The rest of the ride was silent as Dani drove to the OB/GYN’s office. As soon as they got out of the car, Lizzy linked arms with Faith with Dani following them through the office building’s doors.

“I’m going to miss you,” she whispered in Faith’s ear. Faith turned to look at her, a smile on her face.

“You have no idea… how good it feels to hear you say that.”

“It’s the truth too. I feel awful for what’s happened and I don’t want to go home but…”

“But you miss Michael,” Faith said, referring to Lizzy’s boyfriend.

“Yeah… yeah, I do,” Lizzy said, a slight blushing rising to her cheeks.

“You love him,” Faith said and Lizzy gripped her arm tight.

“You love Joe,” Lizzy said and Faith felt her heart skip a beat.

“Yeah… yeah, I do,” she said, parroting Lizzy’s words.

“And I love Kevin!” Danielle exclaimed as they turned the corner into Dr. Greene’s office, all three laughing now.

“Someone must be having a good day,” Rose, the receptionist said as Faith checked in. Faith smiled at her and nodded her head.

“It’s been pretty good so far. It will be even better once I hear my baby’s heartbeat.”

“Well it should be very soon then. Dr. Greene is finishing up with a patient and then you’re next.”

“Thank you,” Faith said as she took a seat in between Dani and Lizzy who were both flipping through parenting magazines.

“Do you want a boy or a girl?” Lizzy asked as she looked at a list of baby names.

“I’ll be happy with whatever I have” Faith said, grabbing a magazine of her own and looking at the latest baby fashions.

“I want a girl first,” Dani said. “I think you’ll have a girl first but with these Jonas boys who knows.”

“Well I think you’ll have a boy,” Lizzy said. “Do you have any names picked out?”

“I’m only two months pregnant!”

“That doesn’t mean you can’t start planning,” Dani said. “Kevin and I already have some names picked out for when we start having kids.

“And when will that be? You’ve only been married for forever.”

“It’s only been seven years,” she said rolling her eyes.

“Which is about five too many.”

“Well if you must know… we’ve been trying.”

“You have?” Faith asked excitedly.

“Yes, we have. So shut up,” she said, looking down at the magazine, trying not to smile.

All three heads turned to the door as it opened and they heard voices. Faith watched as the woman who was more pregnant than her walked out of the office after shaking hands with Dr. Greene.

“Faith,” Dr. Greene said, smiling at Faith as she stood up. She followed Dr. Greene through the door with Dani and Lizzy trailing behind her. “I see you brought some friends.”

“This is my sister, Lizzy, and my sister-in-law, Danielle,” Faith said, introducing them as they both shook hands with Dr. Greene.

“It’s nice to meet you both. Are you ready to hear your future niece or nephew’s heartbeat, let alone, see a picture?”

“More than ready!” Dani said excitedly.

“Okay then. Faith, you know the drill,” she said as Faith lifted up her shirt. “Just a little bit cold,” she said, squeezing the gel onto Faith’s stomach. She pulled the ultrasound machine closer and turned the screen on, placing the probe on Faith’s stomach.

“How can you even distinguish what’s what?” Dani asked as she stared at the black and white screen.

“This here is the lining of the uterus,” Dr. Greene said, pointing to a gray area on the screen. “When we find the baby it will show up white. And I think if we just move a little to the left…”

“Is that it?” Lizzy asked excitedly as she saw a white blob appear on the screen.

“Yes it is,” Dr. Greene said with a smile. She pushed a button and instantly the room was filled with the sounds of the baby’s heartbeat.

“That is so cool,” Dani said, smiling down at Faith who squeezed Lizzy’s hand.

“The pregnancy looks good so far. The baby is developing at a normal rate and everything else seems perfect.”

“When will we be able to find out the sex?” Lizzy asked.

“Not for another two or three months. But it all depends on what the parents want,” Dr. Greene said nodding her head at Faith.

“I’m still not even sure what I want. Or what… Joe and Nick want…” Faith answered, looking at Dani and Lizzy.

“Well maybe you should talk to them. Both of them,” Dani said pointedly. Faith glared at her but then nodded her head.

“Alright, well just keeping taking your pre-natal vitamins and I will see you in a few weeks,” Dr. Greene said, smiling at Faith before she turned and walked out of the room.

“Let’s go home and see Dad,” Lizzy whispered, turning to look at the frozen image of her unborn niece or nephew on the screen of the ultrasound.

****

When Danielle pulled the car into Faith’s driveway, she saw Joe’s car sitting in the driveway and knew that meant that her parents were home… both of them. Before the car was even in park, she and Lizzy were halfway to the front door as Dani opened her car door.

“That’s okay, don’t wait for me to join in on this exciting moment!” she called after them as they flew into the house.

“Where is he?” Faith asked as Joe walked towards her out of the kitchen.

“He’s in his room,” he said quietly, placing a kiss on her forehead. He was referring to the downstairs office that they turned into a bedroom for William equipped with a hospital bed and all of his meds for Meg to administer as well as the visiting nurse that would be coming in.

“Thanks,” she said quickly, following Lizzy down the hall.

As soon as they entered the room they both stopped in their tracks. William lay in his bed, eyes closed, tube down his throat with a machine breathing for him. Multiple wires were hooked up to his body via multiple machines. IV bags hung from a stand next to the bed and were connected to his arm.

“Hi girls,” Meg said, a forced smile on her face as her daughters walked into the room.

“Hi Mama,” Lizzy said, walking over to her and kissing her cheek before sitting in a chair next to the bed and grabbing her father’s hand.

“Faith, are you alright?”

“I was expecting him to look different,” she whispered, her eyes never leaving her father. “He looks just like he did in the hospital yesterday.”

“I know sweetie but this is it. This is how he’ll look for the next few weeks before he…”

“Please,” Faith said, holding back tears as she looked down at the floor. Meg wrapped her arms around Faith and held her tight. Faith felt her mother’s arms slide away but felt them be replaced by some with a stronger grasp. She turned and found herself crying into Joe’s chest.

“I know,” he whispered, “I know.”

Joe led Faith out of the room and towards the living room. He sat on the couch pulling her onto his lap. She buried her head in his neck and cried softly as he placed kisses on the top of her head until she fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jesus... I don't even know when I last posted a chapter. I know it was definitely over a month ago and I am so VERY sorry about that!!!! This semester has just been so incredibly busy and I don't like it but don't worry I have NOT given up on this story!!!! So here you go, I hope to have another chapter out sooner rather than later!

If any of you have a Tumblr or would like to join Tumblr you can follow me here: HeavenxCanxWait :)