When You Read Between the Lines

Shout It Out

Joe left about an hour after he arrived. Faith sat at Kevin and Danielle’s kitchen table, tapping her fingers on the top, wondering when she should go home, and if she should go home. Danielle entered and pulled out the chair next to Faith and sighed.

“Wow,” she said, running her fingers through her hair and looking up at Faith.

“Yeah, tell me about it.”

“So… what are you going to do now?”

“I think… I have to go home,” she said, finally resting her hands down on the table.

“Are you sure about that? I mean, you can stay here. We have plenty of guest rooms. And you could always borrow my clothes for work tomorrow,” Dani said quickly.

“No, it’s okay. I have to go home. As much as I can’t stand my husband right now he at least needs to know I’m safe.”

“But still, the offer stands that if you need to you can stay here.”

“I know. Thank you. For everything,” Faith said, standing up and giving Danielle a hug. Kevin came into the kitchen with his empty glass to get more water.

“Heading out?” he asked, setting his glass on the counter.

“Yeah, I’m going to see if he’s home and try to talk to him as civilly as possible.”

“Good luck with that,” he said with a slight laugh. Faith walked over and he wrapped his arms around his little sister.

“Thank you, Kevin. I’m sorry I’m such a mess,” she whispered, a tear pricking her eye as she thought of how much this was going to ruin this amazing family.

“You’re not a mess, Faith. Every family has its issues. This is just… one huge issue,” he said, shaking his head.

“Yeah… I hope it doesn’t end too badly,” she sighed.

“We’ve got your back,” he said, offering a sympathetic smile.

“Thanks again. I should go,” she said, backing towards the door.

“Drive carefully,” Dani said, walking up to Kevin and wrapping her arm around his waist.

“I will. Bye.”

“Bye,” they said in unison.

****

Sooner than she was ready, Faith pulled into her driveway. She took ten deep breaths before shutting the car off. As she climbed out she noticed how unusually dark it was for early afternoon but then heard the rumble of thunder. A storm was brewing, rain drops already beginning to fall.

“Great,” she muttered, walking up the steps and into the house.

The living room was dark except for the glow of about a dozen candles scattered around the room. Jazz music was playing softly and a glass of wine sat on the coffee table in front of the couch Nick had been sitting on. Currently he was hugging his wife tightly, placing kisses all over her face. Faith stood motionless, waiting for her husband to step away and trying to keep her temper together.

“My God, Faith! I’ve been worried sick! Where have you been? Why didn’t you call?” he asked frantically, pulling her into the living room.

“Why didn’t I call? Are you fucking serious right now?” she asked angrily, placing a hand on her hips. Nick sat on the couch and looked up at her under his curls. “You’re not going to talk? Fine. I’ll talk.

“Last night was supposed to be one of the most romantic nights for us to have together. I got all dressed up in the dress you bought me. I climbed into the car with the driver you hired for me. I arrived at the restaurant where you made reservations for us.

“I waited for you, Nick. I waited for over an hour. I called you. I left you a voicemail. I gave you a chance. You’ve stood me up before… back when Joe had his art show. You never called then so why would you call to say you were going to be late or weren’t going to be able to make it this time?

“So what was it this time, Nick? Work, again? Your car broke down and you needed to fix it right away? Did you fall and hit your head causing you to pass out for hours upon hours? Are you cheating on me?”

“Jesus Christ, Faith! I would never cheat on you and you know it. I love you,” he said in disbelief, standing up quickly and walking towards her.

“You have a funny way of showing it!” she screamed.

“Why the fuck would you think I cheated on you? I’ll admit it, it was work that caused me not to show up and I’m sorry, Faith,” he said, taking her hands in his.

“You know… I’d say unbelievable, but that would be a lie. It’s abso-fucking-lutely believable and I’m not surprised in the least bit!”

“What do you want me to do, Faith? I’m sorry. It was a huge mistake. I should have called you or the restaurant to bring a message to you. I screwed up,” he said, reaching up to touch her face but she pulled away.

“You screwed up big time,” she said, anger deep in her voice. “I can’t do this anymore, Nick. I’m sick of waiting for you and making up excuses for you. I’m done!”

“Done with what, exactly?” he asked slowly, backing up to the couch and sitting on the arm.

“With this marriage,” she said, breathing deeply.

“You can’t be serious,” he whispered. His voice broke on the last word as he looked up at Faith. “Faith, don’t do this to me.”

“I’m not doing anything to you, Nick. You caused this. I want a divorce.”

“Can’t we just work this out? Please,” he pleaded, his eyes wide with sadness.

“I gave you way too many chances to work things out but each time you broke us a little more. I’m fully broken, Nick, and if you aren’t then that’s just too fucking bad. Deal with it.”

“What am I supposed to tell my parents?”

“The truth. You’re a big boy, Nick, it’s time you start acting like one. They know we’ve had issues. They know I stayed at Kevin and Danielle’s last night. It’s not a secret to anyone,” she said, throwing her hands in the air.

“So you’re saying… you stayed at Kevin and Danielle’s last night?”

“That’s what I just said, yes.”

“You had my own brother lie to me?” he shouted.

“He’s my brother too and he saw how stupid you were acting. He felt bad for me, Nick. He cared for me more than you did and he wanted to help and he helped by telling you that I wasn’t there,” she said, tears pouring down her face.

“Well that’s just great. That’s just fucking great. What… are you trying to turn my whole family against me? Have you gotten to Joe yet? What about Frankie? Did you corrupt his mind too?”

“I’m not corrupting anyone’s minds!” she screamed. “Why is it so hard for you to understand? Why can’t you see that you’re the one that’s turned your family against you? Stop trying to pin the blame on me.”

“I can’t believe this is happening,” he said, tangling his fingers in his hair and pacing the living room.

“I want a divorce, Nicholas and I’m going to get one. I’m going to hire the best lawyer I can find and end this marriage.”

“No! I won’t allow it!”

“I might be pregnant!” she shouted, just letting out. His mouth closed from the shock. Whatever it was that he was going to say left his mind as he processed this information. Faith stood there in front of him, face red from anger, tears falling down her face, her hands balled into fists.

“You’re… pregnant?” he whispered.

“I might be pregnant.”

“Well… that’s all more reason for us to stay together.” He said defiantly.

“It doesn’t change my feelings, Nick. I know what I want and I want a divorce. You’d still be a part of this baby’s life, if there is a baby, but we would not raise it together under the same roof. I’m through with your shit.”

“This is just the icing on the cake,” he said, clearly exasperated.

“I’m not done.”

“Oh joy, bring it on!” he shouted.

“I want you out, Nick. I want you to pack necessary things up and go.”

“For how long?” he asked, his eyes widening again from the shock of this.

“I don’t know. An indefinite amount of time… I just need you out,” she said, not daring to look at him.

“Fine, Faith. Have it your way. I’ll leave for this indefinite amount of time. I’ll divorce you. I’ll help care for this baby…”

If there’s a baby.”

If there’s a baby… I’ll even give you the house,” he said, sounding tired. “So… this is it?”

“Yeah. This is it.”

“Okay then. Excuse me. I have things to pack,” he said, walking past her and heading to the stairs. “I know I sound like a broken record but I’m sorry, Faith. I’m sorry it had to come to this.”

“Yeah… so am I.”

“I want you to know… I really do love you. I can’t stand this… losing you.”

“You’re not losing me, Nick. You’re losing yourself.”

He stood on the staircase, looking down at her. Tears pricked at his eyes and he looked down at the wooden steps. Faith turned away and went to sit on the living room couch. Nick breathed in sharply, cleared his throat, and headed up the stairs to the bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok so... I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tension in this chapter! Love it! It just flew from my brain, to my fingertips, to my keyboard. I hope you guys find it as... rivetting... as I do! :)

A few announcements:
1. The Bring Mibba Back Award voting forms will be up soon so keep checking back there and if you want to vote for me then go ahead! When I Look At You is nominated for Best Jonas Fan-Fiction and World I Never Knew is nominated for Best Joe Jonas Fan-Fiction.
2. I posted the first chapter to my new, original story the other night. In case any of you haven't checked it out it's called No Other Two Hearts Closer Than Ours. Check it out and let me know what you think!

So... what do you think of this chapter? Too intense? Too much over-reaction? Was it just perfect? Ha... perfect... yeah right.

Thank you so much! You're all dolls :)

~Steph <3