Just Let Go

un.

I rubbed the mirror to clear the fog that shielded my reflection. Crystal blue eyes stared back at me. I breathed over the newly cleared spot and put my finger to the glass. I dragged my finger across the mirror in a wide arc. I then added two dots for eyes. The smiley face faded as my breath wore off.

I shivered and wrapped the towel tighter around my person. Today was going to be cold.

I padded over to my closet and blindly grabbed a t-shirt and sweats, my comfort clothes.

I quickly bound my dripping wet hair in the towel and pulled on a pair of my favorite draws. I dragged my t-shirt on and shoved my legs into my sweats.

Ah, bliss. And next...

I reached across my desk to pluck my iPod from its hiding spot behind my pencil case. My iPod is a dinosaur. It was one of the first generation iPods. You know, the ancient ones that can't fit in your pocket.

I jammed it onto the speaker connector and hit 'shuffle'. Five For Fighting filled my ears with a beautiful melody. I sighed, closed my eyes and prepared myself mentally.

My eyes snapped open and I whipped the towel off my head. Time to get started.

My best friend sat in the corner of my room, neglected. I grabbed my paint set and blew the dust from the top. I walked slowly to my painting canvas, breathing evenly.

"Hello. Best friend," I greeted it in a hushed tone.

The painting canvas sat still in response. I took this as the 'ok' and sat down on the stool before it.

"We can do this," I said aloud, not quite sure if I was reassuring myself or the canvas.

I dipped my brush into the baby blue paint and pressed it to the brand new page of my life. Delicately, I swept my brush across the canvas in smooth, controlled strokes. The blue paint ate up every white spot on the canvas.

Left, right, up, down, swish, swish, my paintbrush sung as it coated the canvas.

Five For Fighting weaved itself through the silent atmosphere, touching upon every aspect of my carefully planned lifestyle.

The canvas sighed in delight at being used.

"Elyon," it whispered. "Elyon, Elyon, Elyon."

I smiled in response, thinking, I know. I'm here.

I'm finally here.
♠ ♠ ♠
Elyon, who makes paintings come to life.