Angel Of Joy

First of Second

“Are you an angel?” I whispered, my body pressed against his, my eyes staring into his. Undeniable joy was making me feel as if I was floating above the floor, like it always did when I was with him.

This boy, the one I was madly and deeply in love with, froze, but his gaze never left mine. After a few painful seconds of silence, he grabbed my hands, entwining his fingers through mine.

We were touching everywhere; palms, arms, chests, thighs, foreheads. Our bodies only separated by a thin layer of cloth.

“Why do you ask?” He golden eyes never wavered, and his smooth voice made my blood pound harder through my veins. He could most definitely feel my flying pulse.

I breathed him in. My heart beat ferociously in my chest, wanting to be free of these boundaries called ribs. It wanted to fly to him, and stay with him for all eternity.

“Because I believe you are, whether or not you do, too.”

When he replied, his voice was just as soft as mine. “Why do you believe so?”

I smiled wryly at him. “Only a few reasons.” I counted off my fingers, using them to demonstrate. “One; you're utterly gorgeous in your... goldenness. Angel's are gorgeous. Two; you are the most empathetic, joyous, amazing person I have ever met. Angel's are like that, too. And third; You are good. Like, really good. Deep down in your core.” I pecked him on his soft, tanned lips. “I can feel it.”

There was a pause between us, where we just took pleasure in each other's presence. I broke it by saying, “Your name. You name is Camael. What kind of un-Angel person has a name like Camael?”

Camael chuckled, a sound so beautiful I couldn't describe it. It melted into me, fuelling the fire deep inside me, the centre for the feeling of utter devotion I felt for this boy.

“So?” I asked.

“So?”

“Are you an Angel or not? You sure seem like one to me.”

Camael pulled away from me, leaving me feeling empty and cold against the wall without him. “What if I am, but at the same time, I'm not?”

My brow furrowed, and Camael used his thumb to erase the crease between my eyebrows. After a moment of thought, I came up with a possible answer to the riddle. “Why would you have fallen?”

His warm hands slid down my arms, leaving goosebumps in their wake. He once again held my hands, and dragged me down to the soft carpeted floor with him.

“What if I did something bad?”

I smiled up at him, placed one hand gently on his soft golden cheek, and the other over his heart. “You could never have done anything bad. Not truly bad.”

He stared at me, and turned his face away. “Bad by whose distinction?”

My answer was immediate and sure. “By mine.”

The side of his mouth curled up in an amused smile as he stared out at the garden sitting pretty and undisturbed just outside the window. “That's just it, you see.” He looked back at me then, and I saw a soul-deep sadness in his eyes, even though his mouth was still smiling.

“Whatever you did, you didn't deserve this. I'm sure of it.”

“You don't know what I did.” Camael spoke so softly, I hardly heard him.

“What was it?”

A minute passed, and just when I was about to ask him why he wasn't answering me, he spoke. “I fell in love.”