Adventurer's Log

Chapter Two

“Soup’s on! Or, ye’ know, whatever, jes’ eat!” Shouted Brimstone hurling a dead animal over his shoulder. “Thorn? Thooorn? Damn it, where are ye’?” Brimstone turned his head from the left to the right, his eyes scanning his surroundings for any sight of the Dark Elf. Nothing. Nothing that is, except their captive, who seemed to have FINALLY given up. He was almost entirely motionless underneath the Weeping Willow.

He shot the dwarf a venom-filled gaze. Brimstone peered into the distance and noticed the hot sun slowly disappearing behind a large gathering of willows. “It’s almost nightfall. Where could that lass run off to…?” He allowed his sentence to trail off as he noticed the campfire still crackling next to his feet. “At least she kept ta’ fire goin.” He then sat down and felt around for the knife wrapped around his waist.

Meanwhile, not TOO far from camp, there was a wad of clothing tossed haphazardly on a large rock next to a pond. Accompanying the mess was a satchel, a leather breastplate, a couple of leather pouches, and a small, silver cutlass whose blade is slightly worn from use.

“Ahhh…This is just what an elf like me needs…” Sighed Thorn wading around in the pond. She then pinched her nose with her thumb and index finger before diving headfirst into the water with a loud splash. She abruptly rose out of the water not long after, gasping for breath. “…A nice bath.” She continued, pulling back her snow-white hair.

She was indeed bare, save for the dagger wrapped loosely around her slender waist. Her wet, beautiful frame glistened in the light of the sunset as she continued to pour handfuls of water all across her body, starting with her arms and ending at her waist. “I haven’t bathed in a week…” She said to herself, running her fingers through her hair. “Anything to get out of this heat.” She then twisted her hair into a braid and rang out as much of the water as she can muster.

Suddenly, there was a noise from behind.

HISSSSSHHH

Thorn’s pointed ears twitched, and she quickly turned around to face the source, the swamp water sloshing about around her waist.

HISSSSSHHH

There it was again.

HISSSSSHHH

Thorn did not hesitate. She quickly unsheathed her dagger and slowly waded away from the source. Soon, she herself began to disappear into the water until all that remained was the very top of her head.

HISSSSSHHH

The noise was steadily growing louder and louder as the nearby shrub started to shake and rattle.

HISSSSSHHH

HISSSSSHHH

HISSSSSHHH

“Ey’ Thorn! Ya’ here or wot? Thoooorn! Lassie!” Called out a familiar voice. Thorn blew bubbles beneath the surface of the pond water. Oh, it’s just the ole’ fart.
Brimstone soon came trampling out of the bushes, pushing away the massive cluster of shrubs with his large hands. “Thooooorn!” He bellowed. He soon took note of the messy pile of clothes on the nearby rock.

“Wot the-“

“I’m over here Brim!” Shouted Thorn from afar as she suddenly stuck her head out from the water.

“Wot-Ey’! Ye’ know how worried sick I was, lassie? An’ hear I thought ye’ were bein’ ripped apart by some mangy beast!”

“I’m FINE Brim. I just went for a little swim, that’s all.”

“B-b-b-but there could be piranhas in there! O-or-“

“Brim…”

Brimstone sighed in defeat and went trampling back into the underbrush. “Jes’ hurry ya’ self up and get back ta’ camp in one piece, aye? I cooked somethin’ up for us ta’ eat.”

“What is it?”

“Boar!”

And with that, Thorn’s palm met her face as she waded out of the pond. She sheathed her dagger, dried herself off, wrapped her hair in a light ponytail, and dressed herself before finally making her way back to camp.

***

Night had fallen, and the moon was bright, it’s brilliant light streaming forth from the dark clouds scattered above to illuminate the swamp below. The campfire continued to sizzle and crackle, even as Brimstone continued to prod and poke it with a long stick.

“Aye’, I think it needs more twigs.” Said Brimstone, swatting a mosquito on his shoulder.

“But, I just-“ Thorn stopped to swallow a chunk of boar meat. “I just gathered some twigs not long ago.”

“Eh…They’re too small, lassie.” Said Brimstone, tossing away his stick. “An’ would these damn bugs jes’ go away!?” He swatted yet another mosquito away from his ear.

“Ugh, and to think, we should be out of here by now.” Whined Thorn, pursing her lips around her fingers to lick them clean of boar meat.

“Ey’, lassie, yer’ a magician ain’t ye’? Do ye’ have some hocus pocus to rid us of these-“ He stopped to swat another mosquito. “-bugs?” Thorn slowly licked her hand, her eyes rolling up to her skull as if in a momentary thought.

“Hmmm…” She wiped her hand across her trousers. “I believe I might actually. Just give me a minute.”

“Well, hurry up, will ye’?” Asked Brimstone, reaching over the fire to grab another chunk of meat from the spit.

Thorn rummaged through her satchel, sifting through the numerous crystal phials which were tucked neatly away in their pouches. “Where is it…” She then felt something firm within the satchel. “Here it is!” She proceeded to take out a large, black tome which was held shut by a rusty lock. She flipped it over in her hands and gazed at the cover. Then, a large, cat-like eye opened up on the front of the book. It then stared at Thorn, eyeing her up and down, observing her very carefully, as if it were trying to find something important. “It’s just me Ambrosius.” Said Thorn with a cheerful grin. “Nice to see you again.” The inquisitive eye closed itself and started to dissolve right into the cover of the book itself until it was no longer able to be seen.

Click!

The book was unlocked.

“Aye…I still remember.” Said Brimstone, a grin forming beneath the mass of fire-red facial hair which trailed in braids all the way down to the bottom of his belly.

“Hmm? Remember what Brim?” Asked Thorn opening the book. “Okay…Ward spells...” She mumbled beneath her breath.

“When ye’ became a magician.” Answered Brimstone, taking a big bite out of the meat. “

You’re going to tell another story of me growing up, aren’t you?” Asked Thorn, looking up from her book.

“An’ wot’s wrong wit’ me stories?”

“I’ve heard them over 100 times…Each.” Thorn then drew her attention to the book, flipping through the old, slightly worn pages. “Let’s see…Ward spells…It should be under “W.” She mumbled.

“Well, guess wot’, a hundred-an-one time’s a charm, aye? So, pipe down an’ listen lass.”

“Whatever you say you ole’ fart.” Thorn smiled, giving Brimstone a brief glance.

“Aye…I still remember like it was yesterdi’. I was visitin’ ye’ an father an’ yer’ muther in Svartalfheim. Yer’ father was off gatherin’ cave mushrooms fer’ some brew yer’ muther was makin’ because ye’ was sick. Aye…I think that was th’ reason for me visitin’ in th’ first place. Bah! Details! Ye’ were a cute lil’ thing, and whenever I stopped by ta’ visit, ye’ would always ask if I brought ye’ a present, which, of course I always did. I believe this was ta’ be th’ day I brought ye’ a lil’ wooden horse…I think…Maybe…Eh, forget it. Anyways, ye’ were miserable an’ in yer’ bed as sick as a wee dog. So, ta’ cheer ye’ up, yer’ muther, bein’ a magician herself, decided ta’ entertain ye’ by usin’ some of that hocus pocus or whatever yer’ kind calls it, ta’ turn me into…I think, a toad, then a basilisk, then a hawk, and then…No, wait, I think the hawk came before the basilisk. Or did that come after ta’ crocodile…? Okay, look, lass, long story short, ye’ became so enamored in ye’ muther’s hocus pocusing, ye’ wanted ta’ be a magician when ye’ grew up-“

“…Just like mother.” Finished Thorn before Brimstone could finish his story.

There was a moment of silence.

“Aye, jes’ like yer’ mother, Drucillia.”

Silence.

“I’m…I’m sorry about what happened to ye’ folks.”

Thorn looked up from her book and looked right into Brimstone’s eyes. “That was years ago Brim…Don’t worry about it. I’m a grown elf now, I’m not going to cry over it anymore. There was nothing either of us could do.”

“Aye…Is jes’…Ye’ll always be a lil’ elf to me, Thorn.” Smiled Brim.

Thorn said nothing, she only smiled before flipping through another page in her book. “Found it! The Insect Ward Spell.” Brim laughed,

“Wonderful! Wonderful! While ye’ take care of that, I’m going ta’ feed the leftovers to th’ scumbag over there.” He then rubbed his hands together and began to remove what was left of the cooked boar meat from the spit. Thorn, on the other hand, removed an empty phial with two other phials. One was bubbling with blood-red liquid, and the other was half-way filled with bright-blue liquid.

She popped the cork off of the empty phial and mixed both of the phials together into the empty one. She then closed the phial tightly and shook the phial in a small circular motion until the mixed liquid turned a bright orange. She popped the cork off once again, and the liquid within the phial began to bubble and froth. She proceeded to get up and gently pour the liquid all around the campsite. Then, she poured what was left in her free hand and rubbed both her hands together until an odd-colored flame began to form in her left hand. With a mischievous smile across her lovely face, she bounced the flame up and down in her hand before throwing it as hard as she can high into the air.

BAMF!

The flame exploded into a cloud of pitch-black smoke before strangely colored, shimmering dust began to slowly shower the campsite. “There, that should do it.” Said Thorn beneath her breath as she placed her hands on her hips.

“Well…Wouldn’t ye’ know it? He’s gone beddy-bye!” Said Brimstone as he carefully eyed the dust falling down from the sky. “An’ wot’s this then?”

“It’s an ward spell designed to keep insects away from this campsite. It’s only temporary though, and I’ve ran out of reagents for a re-cast. “ Answered Thorn placing a hand on Brimstone’s shoulder. “So, make the most of it.”

“Eh, I wouldn’t worry about me, lass. I’m goin’ ta’ hit ta’ hay. Ye’d best be doin’ ta’ same.” Said Brimstone, jabbing a finger into her breastplate. “I dun’ want ye’ complainin’ when we get ta’ movin’ tomorrow.” But, as Brimstone stomped out what was left of the fire…

“Hey…Brim.” Said Thorn, arms crossed.

“Eh?”

“Thanks.”

Brimstone paused and looked up at Thorn. “Fer’ wot?”

“For the story.” Smiled Thorn.

Brimstone grinned and with but a simple nod of his head said, “Anytime, Thorn...Anytime.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Any criticism is appreciated. The harsher, the better. Enjoy. :-)