Adventurer's Log

Chapter Five

It was mid-day when Thorn and Brimstone, along with Thorn’s mind-wiped bandit, began their journey across the swamp. The thin blanket of mist had vanished entirely, and with its disappearance came an insurgence of insects. There were clouds of mosquitoes hovering over the scummy swamp water which dominated the swamp.

The swamp itself was filled with the sounds of bugs buzzing and frogs croaking, and hiding within the rancid waters of the swamp were small groups of alligators, and nestled within the reeds which grew along the banks, were clumps of venomous Water Moccasins. The sun was high and well-hidden amongst the willows which covered most of the swamp.

Yet, in spite of the sun’s intense heat bearing down on the world below it, Thorn and Brimstone seemed unfazed, and simply made their way through the swamp, with the bandit taking lead. They climbed over rocks and waded through ponds, made their way around every willow and treaded carefully across large, thick patches of grass and weed. Along the way, Brimstone decided to whistle a merry tune.

“You seem awfully merry today Brim.” Remarked Thorn as she parted a bush.

Brimstone chuckled. “Aye, that cooling spell of yer’s did wonders fer’ this ole’ codger.”

There was a buzz.

Smack!

“Now…If we can only get rid of these bugs…” Said Brimstone.

“Sorry Brim. I’m out of reagents, and besides, we wasted enough time as is.” Replied Thorn.

“Aye, I suppose lass.” Sighed Brimstone.

“Hey, Brim.”

“Wot’?”

“The thief mentioned something about some ruins…”

“Aye…An’ ye’ point?”

“Now, Brim, it’s been years since my last history lesson, back when I was still a young elf, but didn’t this swamp used to be dwarven territory?” Asked Thorn as she crossed a patch of thick grass. “Watch out for snakes.”

A thoughtful look came over Brimstone’s face as he followed Thorn close behind. “Hmmm…Aye…Aye, now that I think about it, I do believe hearin’ somethin’ about this swamp from a couple of my huntin’ buddies back in Amundhal.”

“So these ruins are….?”

“Aye, lass, I imagine he’s talkin’ about the Ruins of Zok.”

“The Ruins of Zok?” Asked Thorn, looking over her shoulder as she pushed away the weeping branches of a nearby willow.

“Aye, lass. Zok was once a dwarven city, way back when, before even you and I were wee babies. This was during the time when th’ humans and High Elves were at war. Zok, I believe lass, was caught in th’ crossfire, and was destroyed as a result. Quite tragic, really.” Explained Brimstone.

“And now it’s in ruins.” Said Thorn, trying to keep up with her mind-slave.

Brimstone picked up the pace. “Aye, the dwarves then migrated ta’ Amundhal where they made yet another city, a city which still stands today, lass.” Brimstone sighed, as if he was recalling his past. “Ahhh, Noxinor, good times…Good times.”

“Why didn’t they rebuild?”

“There was a still a war lass.” Said Brimstone grimly. “Though th’ High Elves offered ta’ help rebuild the city, the dwarves knew that as long as th’ elves continued to wage war on th’ humans, neither they or Zok would be safe. And th’ funny thing is, lass, by th’ time my ancestors made th’ migration to Amundhal, th’ war was over! Apparently, th’ then king of th’ humans was assassinated by a High Elf assassin.”

“Compliments of the High Elf king himself.” Said Thorn.

“Aye. Good reddens too. Th’ king way back when hated elves. In fact, if I recall, lass, he hated all th’ races. Dwarves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, I could go on lass…”

“So why the war on only the High Elves?” Asked Thorn. “Hey! How much longer until we reach the camp?” She called out to the thief ahead.

The brainwashed thief turned around, his eyes wide and unblinking. His voice monotone and calm. “It is not far… My mistress.”

“Good.” Sighed Thorn. “My legs are falling asleep…”

Brimstone cleared his throat.

“Oh! I’m sorry, go on.” Apologized Thorn shooting Brimstone a quick glance.

“Aye…Anyways, the High Elves were, at th’ time, lass, th’ greatest military power. Th’ king figured that if he could destroy the High Elves in war, th’ others would be slim pickings. The dwarfs had very strong warriors, but they had a rather puny military back then, and the Dark Elves sealed themselves away in th’ Underworld, all because of some “Isolation Policy” or what have ye’.”

“And the Wood Elves?”

“Aye…They HAD a military, but their warriors were trained for combat in th’ forest of their own homes. Outside, they’re practically defenseless lass. An’ they knew that if th’ humans had won the war, the humans would find SOME way of drawing them out of their lil’ woodland homes.” Answered Brimstone.

“Imagine if humans DID win the war…” Said Thorn.

“Aye lass…If that were ta’ happen, then yer’ Svartalfheim and my No-“

“Ow!” Shouted Thorn, smacking the back of her neck. “Damn horse-flies…”

The cutpurse turned around to face Thorn. “May I serve you…Your highness?”

Thorn looked up as she rubbed her neck. “No, no, just keep going.”

“I am sorry…My liege. But that won’t be possible…”

Thorn and Brimstone stopped in their tracks. “What do ya’ mean, lad?” Asked Brimstone.

No answer.

“He’ll only answer to me Brim.” Smirked Thorn. “Might I ask why NOT?” Inquired Thorn, meeting the bandit’s unblinking gaze.

“Well EXCUSE ME lass…” Said Brimstone, throwing his hands up in the air.

The thief pointed to the very large pond ahead. “Over there…”

Nothing stirred.

“Wot’s he goin’ on about? I dun’ see anything.” Asked Brimstone as he moved ahead of the group to scout out the large pond before them.

“Brim, wait!” Said Thorn as she tried to catch up with him, the thief following soon after.

“There must’ve been a good reason why my puppet said we couldn’t go on…”

Brimstone threw back his head . “Ha! He scared of a few wee alligators or a bunch of wee snakes? C’mon lass, we’ve handled alligators an’ snakes before.” He then parted the underbrush before him and was now exploring the banks of the large pond.

Thorn stopped to turn to her captive, clutching his shoulders tightly. “You felt something here, didn’t you?” Asked Thorn.

“I don’t feel…Your majesty, I saw…”

“Well, what did you see then?”

“BY GARTH’S BEARD! WOULD YE’ LOOK AT TH’ SIZE OF THAT THING!” Shouted Brimstone’s voice up ahead. Thorn’s long, pointed ears quivered.

Thorn turned around and drew her cutlass and flintlock pistol. “Brim! Brim! Hang on, I’m coming!”

“May I…Be of service, your excellency?” Asked the bandit, unmoved by the scene before him.

“Depends, y’know how to fight?”

“Yes…”

“Then don’t just stand there, idiot! Let’s move!” Barked Thorn as she ran towards the pond ahead. In response, the bandit withdrew a couple of poisoned-tipped daggers which were held tightly in place around his waist. He then followed Thorn close behind.

“Hold on you ole’ fart, we’re coming!” Shouted Thorn. "I just hope we’re not too late…"
♠ ♠ ♠
FINALLY got off my lazy bum to write this.

criticism is good the more harsh the better.