The Sharpest Lives

o8

Gerard slept through the rest of that day, and most of the next. Laurie had called, he knew it was her because she was the only person who might have had his number, and she was the only person who would ever call him. He’d ignored the call because he didn’t feel like he had the energy to sit up and pick up the receiver.

When he decided to check the message, he listened in a dazed state, still half asleep and trying to rid the idea of Natalie’s death from his mind. It wasn’t a simple task.

He had to replay Laurie’s message twice to understand what she’d been saying. She sounded rushed and upset.

“Gerard,” She began quickly. “Gerard, Natalie’s been hospitalized again. She’s not doing too well, I’m afraid that…” She didn’t ever finish that sentence. “She wanted me to call you, Gerard, so of course I told her yes. She…She was hoping you could come see her. I’m not going to make you Gerard, I’m not even really asking you to come, I just wanted you to know that she wanted to talk to you before…” She trailed off again, and Gerard could hear an obvious amount of sadness in her voice. She listed off the hospital’s address. “Goodbye, Gerard.”

When the message had finally sunk in, he stood up and made his way to his closet. He grabbed a handful of clothes and ran to the bathroom to shower. The spider was, amazingly, still present, and he could have sworn it was even larger than before.

He washed and dressed and put on eyeliner all very quickly, leaving his apartment without even locking the door. He’d remembered the address of the hospital and damn near ran to it, when he’d finally arrived there he was greeted by a young woman working at the reception desk.

She smiled welcomingly at Gerard, her nametag read Chelsea. “Is there any way I can help you?” She asked kindly.

“I need to know which room Natalie Muir is in.” Gerard said quietly, biting his lip impatiently.

The girl looked through a computer file, smiling up at Gerard every now and then as she did. “You her father?” She asked in an informal way, simply curious.

Gerard wasn’t sure what he should say. If he told her yes, and Laurie found out, she might be opposed to the idea and be upset with him, but if he said no, they may not let him in to see her.

“S-something like that.” Gerard said, disregarding the look he receive from the receptionist.

“Friend of the family?” She’d found her smile again.

Gerard just nodded and looked down until she’d found the room. 207, second floor, first door to the left. He thanked her quickly and ran up the necessary flight of stairs. When he’d reached the slightly ajar door, reading 207 in black, he knocked quietly.

All before Laurie opened the door, Gerard realized why Natalie had been on the bus all those times, late at night, and even the one time she’d been alone. With her condition changing drastically at any time, she would sometimes be checked into the hospital and then be released late at night. It was really quite a devastating thought, picturing an eleven-year-old girl being covered with tubes and IV lines and then being ‘fine’ the next day. At this point she never really was fine, he told himself.

When he could hear Laurie’s footfalls nearing the door his heartbeat picked up. He didn’t really know if he was ready to see Natalie the way she’d probably be looking.

The door opened and for a moment everything was quiet, much like in the movies. Gerard could only hear his own heartbeat. He looked up at the woman before him, she gave an apologetic smile, and ushered him inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the second last chapter of this story. It's really, really short, too. I'm honestly disappointed with myself.

But oh well, can't do anything now. You know what would be amazing, though? If somebody would comment on the last chapter, or this one. Because the last chapter is the hardest I've worked on a story in a while. So, I'm begging - yes, begging - please, comment on that last chapter.

I will love you. For enternity.

Forever and a day,
Sydney.