Live For the Sake Of Living

Chapter Twenty: Epilogue

Image

Boxes and suitcases were piled by the door, waiting to be carried out to the rest of the cases already packed in the new black car that sat in the driveway. An entire year had completely flown by, and Charlotte Haner was moving off to college hundreds of miles away, up north, fresh out of high school.

Walking down the stairs to see everything of Charlotte's packed up, Brian finally faced the realization that his daughter was really leaving. Sure, he'd see her again for major holidays and breaks from school. But he was scared of having her move so far from home and being so young. He had been trying to prepare himself the entire summer for Charlotte's departure, and now that the time had come, he didn't want to let her go.

Sighing, Brian looked out the window above the kitchen sink, watching as Charlotte made room in her car for everything that still needed to find a place. Grabbing the nearest piece of luggage, he carried it out into the bright sunlight, feeling the California heat kiss his skin.

"Need any help?" he asked, and Charlotte looked up, smiling and nodding as she took the suitcase from his hands. As much as he didn't want Charlotte to leave, Brian didn't know why he had offered to help. As soon as she was packed up and had said her goodbyes, Charlotte was leaving. He wanted to stall that moment for as long as possible just as much as he wanted her to go off to college and chase her dreams. He was torn between the two, but either way, she was leaving and there was nothing he could do to make her stay.

"So are you sure you want to go so far away from home?" Brian casually asked, and Charlotte smiled. Michelle had told her how hard it was on Brian to watch her grow up and make the decision to move so far away, and it was nice to know Brian didn't want her to leave. It felt almost comforting to her.

"Yes I'm sure. Sacramento's not that far away," Charlotte said, and then laughed at the pointed look her father sent her. "Okay, so maybe it is, but... I'll be fine, I promise."

It didn't take much longer for all of Charlotte's things to be packed up, and even she had to admit it would be sad leaving home. Soon, Michelle and Jack joined the two of them outside.

"You behave, alright?" Michelle said, trying to sound firm, but her smile gave her away before she pulled Charlotte into a hug.

Pulling away, Charlotte bent down to hug her brother, giving him a kiss on the forehead and ruffling his hair. And then there was Brian. When Charlotte turned to him, she could see his eyes were slowly turning glassy, and Brian inwardly cursed himself. Smiling, Charlotte practically leapt at him, throwing her arms around his neck and feeling her own tears fall. It was awhile before the two finally pulled away.

"I want you to be careful, okay?" Brian asked, being as serious as ever, and Charlotte nodded.

"I'll be okay, Dad," she whispered, but wondered with everything that happened to her if it would turn out true. She'd had a knack for ending up in the worst kinds of trouble.

"I'm not going to be there to save you anymore... And I think that's what scares me the most," Brian said, and Charlotte nodded again, knowing that from this moment on, the only person left to save her was her own self. ...At least until she came home.

Pulling her to him again, Brian placed a kiss on her forehead before letting go, and allowing Charlotte to move toward the car, pulling the keys out of her pocket.

"I'll call you when I get here," she said, and Brian nodded, not saying a word as Charlotte got in the car, turning the engine over. Pulling out of the driveway, she gave one last wave.

"She'll be alright..." Michelle said, standing next to her husband, her young son's hand held in hers. Brian let out a sad smile to his wife, and then turned to look down the street, watching as Charlotte drove away, her car slowly moving out of sight. It was time for her to start her own life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh mannn >.< It's over!!! I have NO MORE CURRENT STORIES! At least for another week. Gawd, this is almost heart breaking for me. This story ended the cluster of stories that I thought would have been the end of my "career" here, and I'm glad that it's really only just the beginning :)

I want to thank all the readers, commenters, and subscribers, and also everyone from Quizilla who was with this story from the start. I love you all :)

I really hope you guys enjoyed his story, as it was the sequel to the first story that ever really mattered to me, in one way or another, and I had never planned on there being a sequel, but I'm glad that there was.

xoxo