Live For the Sake Of Living

Chapter Nine

Image

After the brief meeting with Jesse that one day, I started to see him more and more, either it just by chance in the halls or when he would stop at my locker occasionally during the day and offer to help me get to class or carry my books if he had a free period, and after that we just seemed to hit it off. I'd stay after school with him to work on homework in empty classrooms, but we usually ended up talking more often than getting work done.

At the same time, my leg was healing quickly, and it only took a few weeks before I could walk without the aid of my crutches. And even once the crutches were gone and I was perfectly capable of carrying my own books and getting to my classes, Jesse would still show up at my locker and insist on helping me out. I couldn't help but start to feel things for him - he was just too good looking not to. But it wasn't just what he looked like that really piqued my interest, it was the fact that he really took me for who I was, instead of what everyone else viewed me as. He was real and genuine, and it really helped when it seemed that only he and Rhiannon really understood my life past all the rumors that were bouncing around the school (though after some time, the rumors began to fade away - also thanks to Jesse and Rhiannon).

"Charlotte!" I heard that oh-so-familiar voice call from down the hall, and I smiled, looking up to see Jesse jogging toward me, his bag slung over his shoulder. "Hey."

"Hi, what's up?" I asked as I pulled my bag on, making sure I had everything I needed before shutting my locker and spinning the lock.

"Nothing, I was just wondering what you were doing after school today."

"Well, I was going to stay after with you," I said, smirking up at him over the fact that we never got work done, "but I really need to study for this Chemistry test coming up tomorrow, so I was just going to head home."

"I could help you study..." he hinted, and we headed down the empty hallway toward he doors leading to the parking lot.

"Whenever you and up 'helping' me, we never get anything done," I pointed out, and he smiled.

"No, for real this time. I promise."

Sighing, I smiled at the fact that he was trying to spend more time with me, and slowly nodded. "Alright. You can drive me to my house then, and we'll get started."

Minutes later, we had arrived at my house and I brought Jesse inside. Once the door was shut and our shoes were off, Michelle stepped into the kitchen where Jesse and I were and smiled, looking a bit surprised.

"Hey Mom, this is Jesse," I introduced, and she sent me a sly, knowing look before glancing at Jesse and saying hello.

"Hi Mrs. Haner," Jesse replied, and both Michelle and I stifled a laugh. Looking between the two of us, he stopped on me and furrowed his eyebrows. "What?"

"Uhm, they're not married," I said quietly, and I could see Jesse's cheeks flush a light pink shade.

"It's alright," Michelle chuckled, getting a glass out of the cabinet and filling it with water before taking a sip.

"Oh... No offense, but you look really young," Jesse said, and Michelle and I laughed again.

"I'm only Charlie's adoptive mother," she explained, and then Brian entered the room.

"Daddy, this is Jesse," I introduced again, and Brian nodded his head in greeting.

"Was this that boy I told you to bring by weeks ago cuz you wouldn't stop talking about him?" Brian asked, and then it was my turn to blush as I nodded briefly.

"Oh really?" Jesse asked, smirking down at me, but I lightly elbowed him I the side to get him to shut up.

"Well, we're going to go work on school stuff," I said, clearing my throat and leading Jesse toward the living room.

"What kind of school stuff?" Brian asked.

"Just studying for a Chemistry test that's tomorrow," I answered, heading out of the room again only to be stopped once more.

"And you'll be doing said studying in the living room, right?" I heard my dad ask, and I turned to see him smiling cheekily at me.

"That's where we were headed," I admitted, and he nodded, finally allowing us to leave the room. Glancing over my shoulder once more to make sure Brian wasn't about to say anything more, I saw Michelle give me a thumbs up, mouthing that she thought Jesse was cute, and I smiled. Jesse and I sat on the couch and pulled our chemistry books and notes out, and began studying.

"Dude... your mom is hot," he said, and I looked up at the innocent face he was making with my mouth agape, trying to fight a smile.

"Shut up!" I said, laughing and punching him lightly in the arm.

"What? I was just stating a fact..." He mumbled, looking down at his notes again.

"... She is pretty hot, isn't she?" I admitted. I thought Michelle was beautiful, sure, but I didn't expect a guy my age to openly state such a thing when she was engaged to my dad. It was just weird.

After only a few minutes of actual studying, Brian walked quietly into the living room.

"Do you guys need anything? Drinks?" he asked, and I looked up, knowing he was going to think of anything he could to keep an eye on us.

"No, Dad. We're fine."

"Are you sure?" he asked again.

"Mom!" I called, and Michelle appeared next to Brian. She didn't even have to be told what she was called for.

"Brian! Leave them alone, they're fine," she giggled, and I watched as she miraculously strong-armed Brian back into the kitchen. I could only shake my head and laugh. Leave it to Brian to tell me to bring the guy over, and then hover over us to make sure nothing happened.

"What's your dad's job?" Jesse asked out of the blue moments later.

"Uh, he used to be in a band. Why?" I asked, and we both stopped our work.

"Just wondering. My cousin who's in his twenties used to listen to this one band when I was younger, and he had a poster of them on his wall. Your dad just reminded me of one of them... He's familiar," Jesse shrugged.

"Well, what band was it?" I asked, smiling to myself cuz my Daddy was famous.

"I don't know... Something with a really weird name. I listened to them a few times when I was younger and they were good, though."

"Avenged Sevenfold?" I questioned, and Jesse looked over at me, a bit surprised.

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Cuz that's the band he was in. He was their lead guitarist - a real shredder," I explained, smiling.

"That's sick! Does he still play?"

"Sometimes. He spends more time as Mr. Family Man though, since the band is split and he's got me and Jack to look after."

"Oh, that's cool. I'll have to tell my cousin that I met one of his idols. Your dad was good, from what I remember. The guitarist in my band has heard some of the last stuff they ever recorded, and wishes he could play half as good as Syn Gates," Jesse said, almost gushing about it.

"You're in a band?" I asked, my interest heightening.

"Yeah, I play drums. So do you have any musical talent? Knowing who your dad is..."

"Yeah, I can play the guitar, just like him. He's been teaching me some stuff, too."

"Sweet.... I'd love to hear you play sometime," Jesse said, and I blushed, hiding my face in my chemistry book as I continued to study.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so it's been MONTHS! I don't know how many months... but I think it's been at least six since this was last touched, and for those readers of it who have been waiting so long for an update, I am deeply sorry. It'll be going in full speed now, so you won't have to wait much longer to get to an ending :)

xox Hope you guys liked it!