Sequel: Now I'm Haunted
Status: Working on it.

How to Save a Life While Messing With Fate...

Ch.5

STACI’S POV

My hot shower felt so nice, I got out and changed into a pair of my old Tampa Bay Rays PJ bottoms and a white thin strap top…man I miss home and my family. I half blow-dried, not really caring…no make-up because if Nick asks about everything I know I will break down. I walked into my room looking for my phone hen I spotted the only recent picture I have in my apartment…it was Erin and I at the mall. I cannot believe she is gone, I saved Nick but I did not even try to save her, I am such a great friend! I sat on my bed and stared at the picture as hot steamy tears formed in my eyes.

I heard my phone beep, signaling that I had a voicemail. I picked it up and listened…it was Erin’s mom giving me all the detail on the funeral. I started to choke on my tears when I heard her mom say I have to make a speech on her behalf. I was so upset I chuck my phone and it hit the wall and broke into pieces. I

curled up in a ball again and cried, more like I sobbed. She was the only friend I had, she gone and I feel guilty for her death. I had forgotten most of my worries while saving Nick, I forgot her! How could I?

NICK’S POV

I was so tired from having no sleep so thought a nap would be good while Staci is in the shower. I had just dozed off, feeling comfort for the first time in awhile when I heard something hit a wall the break when it hit the floor…then I heard Staci sobbing. I quickly got up and rushed to where I heard her. I stopped at her door which was open, looked in to see poor Staci curled up in a ball crying hysterically, so I softly knocked on the door.

“Staci is everything ok? That is a stupid question, everything’s obviously not. Can I help?”- I babbled like an idiot. She quickly sat up when she heard me and wiped off her tears.

“No Nick, I’m fine. Don’t worry about me, please go rest.”- She said putting up a wall.

“Oh come on, I know we just met but you can’t tell me nothings wrong when you were hysterically crying two seconds ago and expect me to believe you. I’m sorry, but I’m not leaving until you let me help you since you’ve helped me out so much.”- I said walking over to where she was sitting on her bed.

“But Nick…”- She started.

“No buts! Staci I want to help, you are really upset!”- I said worried.

“Nick you don’t want to hear about my screwed up life.”- She sniffled.

“Staci I don’t want to freak you about, but I already care for you. I think it is because you saved me, but I do not care what it is because I am here to listen. You told me you would tell me about yourself if I came down, and I am holding you too that. Please let me in, don’t keep it in because that’s what I did and look what it lead to.”- I said as I sat on her bed next to her.

“Nick…my best friend, my only friend died today right before I saved you. I feel so guilty, you have no idea!”- She sobbed as I took her into my weak arms.

“Oh I’m so sorry! Were you going to jump but then…”- I babbled again not knowing what to say.

“No! I thought about that, but I went out purposely to save you.”- She said shockingly as I loosen my grip around her. What does she mean? She looked into my eyes wanting to spill her guts but she looked terrified.

STACI’S POV

He is going to think I am a freak, I cannot believe I told him I went out to save him. I have never told anyone my secret and I have known him for all of three hrs! I found myself gazing into his warming brown eyes scared to death to open my mouth; I cannot lose another person in my life not even someone I just met! He is just going to stare at me after I tell him then he will run away and I will never see his handsome face again.

“Staci, just tell me what you meant I’m confused. It’s ok; from what I’ve been through and what you’ve done for me I’ll do my best to help with anything you need.”- He smiled weakly making me feel more comfortable.

“Wow, were do I start? I’ve never told anyone about this.”- I said holding back my tears as I moved out of his arm. I moved so I was facing him and crossed my legs Indian style while he did the same across from me.

“It seems like you need to tell someone, I’m not here to judge.”- He said sweetly as he touched my hands sending chills up my spine.

“I do. Ok so…I have had these things I call visions since I was 16 yrs old. I visions come in threes, the visions are about…”- I paused trying no to ball my eyes out again.

“The future?”- Nick asked.

“Yes, but it’s more of a specific thing. Nick I see people dying! Not just random people but my loved ones! There is something wrong with me! Everyone I love dies, I am a toxic person…I will not blame you if you just left. I don’t care if I saved you or not, if you still want to live I suggest you leave.”- I cried as I waited for him to run out, but he did not. H moved and hugged me tightly.

“Staci there’s nothing wrong with you, you are not toxic. You saved my life how could you just expect me to leave?”- He said shockingly.

“Nick I don’t want to get close to you and you have to suffer. No one should have to give their life up like that.”- I said through my tears.

“It’s ok, I’m not afraid. If you saved me, I do not think you would also be the death of me. now if you want to vent about the situation you are in I am still willing to listen. ”- He smiled.

“Really, you’re truly not scared? (He nodded) Well this is hard for me to say, but everything started after my first love….Greg. I think that is why I am still so attached to him. My visions come in threes, each one becomes clearer, the first two I cannot see who the person is, but then the last one shows who dies. When I saw Greg being hit by the big F-150 truck I felt like it was me being hit. It was so painfully, at first I thought everything was just a very creepy dream but it was bugging me so the day he came over and told me he loved me he was wearing the same clothes on as in my vision. My mind would not turn off after he walked out my door after such a wonderful day, so I ran after him. That was the worst thing I could have done, I got two streets down and turn the corner to see Greg, and just like my vision, he was hit by the truck right in front of me! I was two seconds too late, just like every other time I tried to save someone I loved. Once I turned 18, my parents were really worried because I never wanted to be around them or anyone anymore so I moved here. I could not have my parents and the rest of my family pay the price too, I do not know why I picked here but it is far away. I have not seen my parents since I was 18, it is hard and I call them once in awhile, they do not know anything, not even where I leave. I miss my whole family so much, but I do not want to add them to the list of six well now seven. Erin is the seventh and last person I am losing from these horrid visions. She was the only person I’ve got really close to in the last two and a-half years, for some reason I thought she would be different because she was just my best friend and almost all the ones I’ve lost have been guys who I had become close too. That is why I want you to go. Please go, you seem like such an amazing guy and I don’t want to get close to you and you die because of me…Nick I can go through it again, I really can’t. I feel like I belong in a mental hospital!”- I broke down into hysterical sobs, saying everything aloud lifted he weight off my shoulder but also made me relive all the painful memories.

Nick stared at me trying to soak everything in while I cried, surprisingly he moved closer and brought me into his arms. I clung to him afraid he would disappear and sobbed into Greg’s old t-shirt. Nick began to soak my hair trying to comfort me. Somehow being in his arms start to calm me, I tried to stop crying but I could not even catch my breathe Nick looked at me worried, but I finally was able to take a deep breath.

“Staci are you ok? I’m not leaving you; I don’t care about any of that.”- He said patting my back.

“Nick, thank you. That means so much. You are the only one who knows anything, please don’t say anything!”- I cried.

“Staci why would I? Plus I have no one to tell, I also don‘t have close loved ones. My family hates me and I haven’t had any friends since I started to date my ex.”- He said as he looked at the picture of Erin and I.

“How can you just take this all in? It doesn’t scare you? If you seriously want to go I wouldn’t be mad…I’d just want you to drop me off at the mental hospital on your way home.”- I said seriously.

“I told you I am not leaving! I’m not scared of you, you saved me in more ways then one and now I’m here to help save you. You do not belong in a mental hospital, I think you are fine…the visions maybe something you can overcome. Is that you and Erin?”- He said looking at the picture again.

“Yea, that’s the only picture I have of us. That picture is the only one that’s recent; every other picture is from when I was 18 or younger. Actually most aren’t when I was over the age of 16 because I was very distant the last two years I lived in Florida.”- I said regretting the time I’ve missed with my family.

“I noticed the pictures in your living room and how young you were, I was going to ask about that. I bet you miss your family as much as I miss mine.”- He tried to comfort me.

“I do, I was so close with them, but I had to for what was best for them. Nick since you listened to my crappy life how about you tell me more about yours, if you feel up to it. How did you get to the point of no return?”- I said worried he break down again.

“Well since you opened up to me I feel comfortable enough to do the same. I’ll start off with telling you who I really am…my name is Nick Jonas.”- He said…Jonas? Where have I heard that name before?