Stranded

Shattered Dreams

"...Beat me up, beat me down, mess me up beyond all recognition. For what it's worth, I'lll do it again, with no consequence I will do it a-...hey!" Bob yelled. That was it. Time with the mp3 was officially up...for good. The last bit of battery power ran out....right in the middle of "What Do They Know?" by Mindless Self Indulgence.

Dammit.

Mikey looked over from the tree, deep in thoughts. He had tried several times lately to get Gerard to tell him what he thought he knew...all failed. Everytime he tried, Gerard came up with some lame, false excuse. The first time he asked, he went to make fish. Then he got up to talk to Carol. Then he got up to pee (and unfortunately, Mikey knew that one was true to a degree.) Point was, he hated being uninformed, and as long as Gerard kept playing these games with him, he would stay uninformed.

He didn't like that. If Gerard knew something, he was going to find out.

"Hey Mikey...I read somewhere that there are tricks to keeping a dead battery alive longer...do you know them?" Bob asked desperate.

"No...I really don't...that thing is dead. Deal with it." Mikey said. Bob huffed and threw it down. Mikey chuckled and looked down at it. He suddenly stopped laughing, and just looked at it. There was something on it that seemed out of place. He picked it up. There were two black letters on it, near the on button. "LF." Initials.

There was somebody on the island with them!

Mikey was just going to march on up to Gerard and ask him straight out. He would wait until later in the night so Gerard would have no excuses.

"I miss Penelope." Frank sighed.

"Who the hell is Penelope?" Carol asked, getting a fish for herself and Marty.

"That's what he named the mp3." Ray said with a chuckle.

"Oh. Wow...you're obsessive." Carol said. Frank frowned at her.

"Carol...what are you passionate about?" Frank asked.

"Marty!" Carol said, hugging and kissing Marty on the cheek. Frank rolled his eyes.

"No...I mean, like...something you do." Frank said.

"Marty...!" Carol said, winking at him.

"I mean like...a hobby, a job, a talent...something like that." Frank said. Carol got serious.

"Uh...I'm not sure. I...oh, wait. Yes, I actually am. I LOVE to take pictures..." Carol said.

"Really?"

"Yeah...I take them all the time, fix them up, edit them. They are all over my apartment at home. When I was younger I wanted to be a photographer...but then I got older, went to college, and...I dunno. Dreams fade away...I like the job I have now I guess." Carol said with a small sigh.

"Well, that's how I am about music. It's my passion, and if I want to cry over losing a piece of it yet again, then so be it!" Frank said. He softened when he noticed that Carol seemed kind of down. Marty looked at her, concerned.

"You know...I once saw this ad for classes...maybe you could-"

"No Marty! I mean...sorry. But no. My career is fine and it pays well...if we ever get off this island, nothing will change about that." Carol said, walking off. Marty thought he heard her cry...but at this point there were so many possible reasons, he just decided to comfort her as best as he could.

It was night time later that day. Mikey decided he was just going to go up to Gerard and be as blunt as possible. He looked around for his brother, but couldn't find him. About to give up and go to sleep (after all, he WAS tired) he stopped when he heard Gerard's voice. He got up to follow it, and stopped deep in his tracks when he heard another voice.

An unfamiliar one.

Looks like Gerard really did know.