The Wicked End

The Fourth Trumpet

Image

Staying at the hotel in Vegas wasn't as bad as I thought. I started to miss home less and less every day. I guess it was just a way of putting the past behind us all so we could try to move on. It had, afterall, been a little over four years since that very tragic day. Four years. It was time to move forward, and leave the past behind us where it belonged.

Ever since Matt and I informally tied the knot, I'd felt a lot more connected to him than I ever had before. It was almost a feeling that he could feel my emotions and my pains, though it would be ridiculous if he really could. It was a good feeling to know we were so connected on a personal level with each other. Nicky had even warmed up to me greatly. It was like... we were all normal again, after such a long time.

Nicky was still growing at a pretty alarming rate. He was only three and a half years old but looked to be just about six. He talked like a normal young boy. It almost made me wonder if he wasn't really growing too fast, but that I was becoming so muddled in the head that I'd began to lose track of time. The only thing that reassured that I wasnt missing time was the fact that the trumpets kept resounding, and only three had gone by. No, time was moving on like it always had. Something else was wrong.

I came out of the bathroom after showering and getting dressed, only to see Brian in the common room of the suite, tying up his shoes as he sat on the couch.

"Hey, where's Matt?" I asked.

"He went down to the casino in Caesar's Palace. Nicky's with him," Brian replied, finishing his last shoe and standing up. I sighed and rolled my eyes; it seemed like the casino was where Matt always was. "I'm going down there right now, if you'd like to join me."

"Okay," I said, taking up the offer, and the two of us left the suite and got into the elevator. It took us ten minutes to walk to Caesar's Palace, and when we arrived inside it wasn't hard to find where Matt could be. THere was a swarm of scantily clad women -- showgirl dancers -- gathered around one of the Black Jack tables, and I could just barely see the top of Matt's head. He was there all right.

Brian helped politely push our way through the crowd of show girls. When we made itto the middle where the Black Jack table and its players were, I saw Brian pull a girl to him. He placed a gentle kiss on her lips and smiled when he pulled away. "Hello Giselle, darling," he cood. I looked her over briefly -- she had an evil yet beautiful looking face. She had a look about her that was very similar to Brian's, and not in the way she was dressed either. There was just something about Brian and Giselle that ... clicked. I had never seen before up until this point, but I knew that Brian went out to see someone often. This must have been the girl.

I left the two to themselves and made my way around the table to the side Matt was playing on. Nicky was stood on the edge of the table, his hand on his father's shoudler for support.

"Matt," I hissed as I was stood next to him. He turned to me and smiled.

"Hey baby," he said, leaning down to quickly peck my lips.

"Don't you 'Hey baby' me. What the hell are you doing here with him?" I asked, indicating to Nicky.

"What?"

"This isn't exactly the best place for a boy, Matt, especially with all these girls here," I said, dropping my voice down a couple notches.

"Oh come on, he's fine. See? Look at him, he's having fun," Matt chuckled. So he did have a point: Nicky looked very happy being there, albeit an unsuitable setting for a three and a half year old child. I just sighed and went on to watch Matt play.

"Brian and I are taking Nicky out, okay?" Matt asked. It was a week later and I was sat on the couch in the common room, reading an article in the newspaper.

"I dunno Matt... I mean, they say there's a serial killer on the loose in the city," I informed, feeling a bit antsy.

"Really?"

"Yeah, listen to this..." I said, and started to read aloud. "Fourteen more deaths have been accounted for in the past two days, all of which are believed to be the victims of an unknown killer. The bodies, like the ones found before them, were found in the scattered alleyways of downtown Las Vegas and appeared to have, for lack of better phrasing, had their souls 'sucked out'. The bodies were taken to the city morgue for routine autopsies, where no causes of death were found. What could possibly be more mysterious is the slight fact that once the bodies were encased in the morgue, they were missing soon after."

"...That's weird," Matt said, furrowing his eyebrows. "How many total deaths have they accounted for?"

"They reported over a thousand in the past month."

"Well, don't worry about a thing Davy. Brian and I will take good care of Nicky. Nothing will happen to him, you'll see," Matt persuaded.

I sighed, thinking the situation over. It was true - Matt and Brian could take on anyone together, and it did appear that the killer was trooping the city unarmed. "Alright," I said, finally giving in. "Just please keep an eye on him at all times."

Matt nodded. "He's my son, Davanee. You know I will," he said, and he walked over to me, bending down sligthtly to my level to peck my lips. "I'll see you later. I love you."

"Love you, too," I said. "Wait... where is Nicky?" I asked. I had just noticed that he was nowhere to be seen.

"Oh, I didn't tell you?" Matt asked. I shook my head. "He's already down in the lobby with Brian. Sorry. I thought I told you."

"It's okay. I was just curious cuz he wasn't here," I shrugged. "Have fun doing... whatever it is you're doing."

"Okay. We'll be home later," Matt said and then left the suite. I sat on the couch, chewing my lip as I stared blankly at the wall. After sitting and doing nothing for quite some time, I got up and opened the sliding door to the balcony. I stepped out to the rail, grasping the round metal bar in my hands. The wind blew my hair about my face, and I took one step closer to the railing, bending my neck to look downward.

I suddenly became breathless as a disturbingly overwhelming feeling came over me. As I looked down, I had the strongest urge course throug my body, telling me to throw myself over the railway and fall... that I had to. It disturbed me to such a point that I gasped and had to step back a fot or so, until I was out of reach of the railing.

As I stood with my back against the solid wall behind me, I began to think. Why had that feeling come to me so quickly, out of nowhere? Why would I want to throw myself down hundreds of feet to certain death? I took a deep breath to calm myself and then began to walk the curved length of the balcony all the way around the hotel, looking out at the city. I jumped when I heard the distant sound of a gun firing. I went to the side to look down, completely ignoring the feeling that overtook me again, but I was too far up there'd have been no way for me to know what was going on. I went back into the suite, slipping into a pair of shoes, and running out the door to the elevator, taking it all the way down to the ground floor. I was anxious; I'd told Matt to keep Nicky safe, but how could he protect our son from a gunman without sacrificing himself?

I raced out to the street and looked around frantically, not knowing which way the three of them had gone earlier.

I heard more gunshots ring out - closer in range than I thought they were fom above - and decided to head down the sidewalk to the left, hurriedly looking down each side street as I passed it. The gun was quiet and I began to think I lost the trail. I slowed down from a run to a walk, resting my hands on my hips as I took deep breaths to calm down. I stopped walking, peering into the dark deserted alley to my left for a moment. It appeared empty. I turned away from it and stood moment, before turning to start heading back in the direction I had come. I took one step and heard the gunshot crack from quite close. In a split second I felt a sharp gust of air right by my thighs, and the parked car behind me in the street was struck. I jumped in fright. I was being shot at. I almost headed into a dead sprint but stopped when I heard familiar voices.

"No, we don't shoot at your mother!" I heard Brian's voice, and then the giggle of a small child. I stood there, confused, and watched as three figures emerged from the darkness: Matt, Brian, and my small, innocent little boy, Nicky, who was holding a pistol in his hands.

"Sorry Mama," Nicky giggled.

"You weren't hit were you?" Matt ased, the slightest ounce of concern showing in his features.

"Matthew, what the hell is this!?" I asked, outraged that my son had a gun in his hand.

"Whoah... Davy, it's alright. We're just teaching the little guy how to shoot a gun. No big deal," Brian said, taking a step forward. I glared at him; he had the smallest trace of a smile on his lips.

"He's three and a half years old, for Christ's sake!" I shouted. "He doesn't need t know how to shoot a goddamn gun at that age."

"Davanee... baby... it's not a big deal-"

"Not a big deal, Matt!? I almost got shot and you're saying it's not a big deal!?" I asked, glaring at him as well.

"Well, you didn't get shot, so you're okay," he shrugged. I gae him a stern look and then knelt down in front of my son.

"Come here, Nicky," I cooed, and he walked over to me. I took the gun from his hand and shoved it into Brian's chest, knowing it was his. He took it and I grabbed Nicky's hand in mine, taking us back to the hotel. Was I the only sane one left anymore?

"Davanee, open the door," Matt's voice cae from outside the suite. I'd locked he door, and coincidentally both Matt and Brian had left their keys inside, thinking I'd be in to let them come inside.

"No... I don't want to talk to you right now."

"Goddamn it, Davy!..." Matt growled. "Open the damn door," he said again before pounding against the wood with his fist.

"Or what? You'll break it down, hmm?" I asked sarcastically.

"You never know, we just might," came Brian's voice.

I rolled my eyes. "Sure you will," I mumbled to myself and walked through the common room, where Nicky was sat watching cartoons, and out to the bacony. I sighed and rested my arms on the railing, resting my head in one hand. I lazily closed my eyes, and shortly after heard a cough from behind me. I jumped a little out of fright and turned.

"Oh... it's just you," I said sullenly. Zacky walked forward as I turned back to the city in the same position I was in before.

"Is something up with you? Cuz you're being nice to me," Zacky asked, resting against the balcony next to me, his back facing the city.

I sighed again. "I'm pissed off at Matt... teachin a three and a half year old to shoot a gun..." I said, the last part to myself. "Can you believe that?"

"Well, considering Matt, yes..."

"It's just... things are so weird now. I don't even know were to begin," I said, turning to face Zacky.

"... You have doubts about your son..." he said, and I nodded. Figures he could read my mind. "Well... I guess I should tell you there is something peculiar about your son. I can't tell you just what it is, but... he isn't three and a half like you think he is."

I looked at him incredulously.

"I mean, I know he was born three and a half years ago, but just as his body grows at a rapid pace, so does his soul. In all actuality, your son is six years old. It's... and older spirit living inside him. Something that has been alive for hundreds of years now," Zacky continued.

"Will he keep growing like that?" I asked.

"No. Just in the beginning. Soon he'll start growing normally again."

"How soon?"

"...Today."

"What's so special about today?" I asked. Zacky didn't answer, but instead stood up fully, turning to face the city. Then, I heard it. The shrill call of the trumpets that I'd started to grow accustomed to. The fourth trumpet was upon us already. It hadn't seemed to be an entire year since the last one, but it was.

Suddenly, the cloudless sky grew a fraction darker. I looked at the sun; it didn't shine as bright as it used to. It was setting at the time, and the oncoming night appeared to come even closer, faster.

"When the fourth angel blew his trumpet, a third of the sun, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars were struck. They each lost a third of their light."

"I see..." I breathed out.

"Soon it will be night, and it will be the deepest, darkest night man has ever seen in all his years on this earth. The stars won't shine as bright; the moon won't glow as brilliantly," Zacky said solemnly.

"How long will it be like that?" I inquired.

He looked at me, his green eyes piercing into me. "Until the end."

"...Which is coming soon, if this war really does break out," I commented.

"It will, don't you worry about that. Forces from the far south, and the east across the ocean, have already begun their journies by foot and by ship. The ones in the north and the west are still growing stronger, gathering all those who are evil to them. It seems the sides will become uneven. There are more sinners than was ever planned in the prophecies of long ago," Zacky told, looking down among the people of the City of Sin itself. "Moving here was no use. They will still come... they will follow their leader wherever he goes."

There was a long pause of silence. "What will happen to the side of good, if there's an imbalance of power?" I asked. "...Will the Anti-Christ win?"

Zacky laughed, allbeit cynically. "Don't be silly, child. Don't think the Big Man Upstairs has nothing up his sleeves. Right this very moment, armies of angels are being forged, alliances being made. They will join in league with those left on earth who have repented for their sins and accepted Jesus into their lives. And then there's you... You cause the greatest imbalance, no matter what side you choose to keep your allegiance with. Your side is at an advantage."

It finally dawned on me. "The key.... The key to the war... Why didn't I think of that before?" I asked, with no answer from my companion for a moment.

"I only have one more thing to ask of you."

"And what's that?"

Zacky turned and looked at me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "Are you ready to fight?"