The Wicked End

The Sixth Trumpet

Image

The sky was filled with a brightness unmatched by any other before me, drawing me into its warmth and its beauty. It felt as if my eyes were burning from the intensity of the light, but I couldn't look away as it expanded, engulfing everything and expanding past the boundaries of the sky.

As I got closer, the light began to dim, and I felt all the goodness in the world begin to diminish. To my right, a dark, black cloud was rolling in across the land, covering the white light and swallowing it up. I could feel its evil powers begin to take over, sucking away every good thing that was left inside me, filling me with fear.

Panic seized me when the holy light was all but a small fleck, and I fell to my knees, crying out for help.

"Please, God!" I cried, the white hot tears spilling over my lids and cascading down my cheeks in the darkness. "Please save me! Don't let the light go out," I pleaded, hoping I could be heard. And suddenly the black clouds rolled away, and the near-painful brightness filled my sight again, only this time, there was the form of a man standing before me. He moved closer, and I could not see his face as I squinted, shielding my eyes. I dropped my gaze to the ground as the man stopped in front of me.

Slowly, I looked up and saw the man extend his hand to me, as if to help me back to my feet and guide me back to the light. Golden rays glowed about his hand, and in the new light I was able to see his face. Johnny was stood there, looking down on me with a knowing smile, waiting patiently.

Feeling no fear as his entire begin began to glow with light, I took his hand and instantly all my doubts and troubles melted away, leaving me feeling peaceful and calm. Johnny pulled me to my feet, the grin never leaving his face, and I felt a grin tugging at my own lips, matching his as he held my hand tightly and led me back to the light.

A piercing sound greeted my ears, pulling me from my sleep. It was a sound I had grown accustomed to, but it was still quite a nuisance being woken up from it. Rolling over onto my side in bed, I caught sight of the dawn slowly creeping into the sky. As soon as the shrill call of the trumpet ended, I rolled over to my other side, facing Johnny as he slept in the bed next to me.

"Johnny... Wake up," I pestered, shaking him lightly on the shoulder. He was awake in a matter of seconds, and when his eyes opened and met with mine, I thought back to the dream I had just woken from. It was a very strange dream, and I was contemplating asking him what it meant, if I ever had the time to do so.

"What's wrong?" he asked calmly, obviously feeling there was no immediate danger approaching.

"The sixth trumpet just sounded..."

"And you want me to tell you what's happening?" he asked cheekily.

"Well, aren't you supposed to tell me what's happening?" I shot back, a smirk present on my lips. Taking a break, Johnny sat up, leaning against the headboard of the bed in the Las Vegas house we had claimed as our own six months before when Matt had taken his throne.

"Then the sixth angel blew his trumpet. I heard a voice speak from the four corners of the gold altar that stands in the presence of God. 'Release the four angels who are tied up beside the great Euphrates River.' The four angels had been prepared for this very hour. Now they were set free to kill a third of all people," Johnny spoke, his voice soft.

"A third of all people?" I asked, moving to sit up beside him. "Of all people in Vegas, or the world?"

"The entire world. Once the four dark angels have released their Hell on Vegas, they will scatter, working separately to kill a third of the world's population," he explained, and then threw the covers back and got out of bed, pulling on a pair of jeans and a shirt. "It'd be in your best interest to get dressed as well," he said from over his shoulder at me, and I nodded my head at his suggestion and got up myself, getting dressed.

Following Johnny out of the room and down the stairs, I asked, "When will these four angels come?"

"Soon," was all that Johnny answered with, but soon we would both find out.

As we reached the bottom step, the light of the morning shining in through the windows suddenly paled, dark clouds taking over the light. Again, I was reminded of my dream, and I opened my mouth to ask Johnny about it, but was cut off by shrill screams, carrying in from outside.

"Make that now." Johnny looked toward one of the windows before going to it, peering out to see what was happening. I really had no desire to look out at all, but without warning Johnny turned to me and held his hand out. "Come on," he coaxed, and knowing I didn't have much of a choice, I took his hand and he led me outside.

Indeed, heavy rain clouds had rolled in, blocking out most of the sun, though no rain fell. The screams grew louder, more joining the first chorus, as Johnny dragged me down the street. People were running in every direction but the one we were heading, and I felt a sense of worry take up residence in the put of my stomach as we continued that way.

"Johnny, I don't think this is such a great idea..." I whispered, hoping he could hear me over the terrified cries form the city dwellers.

"Just stay with me, and you'll be alright." He must have felt my fears because he quickly squeezed my hand in his.

Soon Johnny pulled me off to the side, staying out of the middle of the street. Pointing up the road, I caught sight of the four angels. They were wearing hooded black cloaks, and slowly descended down the street, killing a third of those in their path, leaving the others to run away, screaming in fright.

Watching as the street grew darker the closer the black cloaked figures got, I tugged on Johnny's hand.

"Can we go? Please?" I begged, but he just shushed me and continued to watch. The angels caught up to those who ran from them, drawing long swords and thrusting them into the guts of their prey before they had the chance to run. I could see the angels suck the souls from the bodies, pushing them off their swords before continuing on.

Shutting my eyes tight, I pushed my face into Johnny's shoulder, not wanting to see anymore death than I had to.

"You're going to have to get used to a lot more death than this, Davy," Johnny whispered into my ear, his hand placed lightly on my back. "The war is only a year away..."

Knowing that what he said was true, I still waited until the screams had died down, hoping it only meant the angels had long passed by us. Slowly picking my head up, I saw the street was empty of all life, nothing but dead bodies filling it.

"Let's go," Johnny finally said, and he led me back the way we had come. As we went, I couldn't help but look at the bodies that were left behind. They were shriveled up, nothing but skin and bone. The eyes that stared back at me were nothing but hollow, empty orbs, and I had to put my face into Johnny's shoulder once more until we had reached home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Blah so it was kinda crap (sorry Niki :P) but it'll have to do cuz it's gotta get me to the rest of what I have planned for this beast. Nine more chapters to go... unless you guys vote for a short epilogue of sorts once I've finished :P

xox Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it :)