Status: the list is finished being written, but if you have some more ideas, they are welcome.

100 Things to Do Before You Go To College

Number 62

So as previously stated, this was originally an English essay, but I decided to submit it in here because a) it's about being passably good at a sport and b) I wanted to submit something. I'll submit another story soon, but for now here's what I've got. I hope you like it. Comments are love <3

~~~~~~~~~

A new shirt- $90. A new pair of pants and jacket- $585-$635. Boots- $395. Transportation- $200-$400. Happiness- Priceless.

I have many interests, but one of my two passions has been like living in a dreamland, separate from the real world, for about six years now. Money fuels the industry, but the special feeling you get when you finally achieve a new goal just can’t be bought. In horseback riding, if you have places you want to go with your riding career, it takes much more than just sitting on a horse. I, for one, have several places I want to go. To get there, dedication, time, effort, and will power are just a few of the necessities. I have had many goals in riding, but one stands out for me.

On October 17th, I finally succeeded in one of my longest standing goals. “Oh god, please don’t let me freeze up,” I thought as I headed into the arena. I felt as if all eyes were on me.

The excitement drove me into the arena, whereas the nervousness secretly creeped up into my mind, trying to toy with me in the few seconds of silence before the storm. I will get this done. However, my drive to succeed overpowered the nervousness, sending it back into the fiery pits of which it came. Split seconds later, I picked up the ever so rhythmic canter and started my course. I could feel the screws turning in my brain, leading me step by step, as if I had been born to do this. As I turned my head towards the first jump, I could feel my weakness fighting to be let loose in the pit of my stomach. One, two, one, two. Count your strides. Focus. I pushed the feeling down and carried on, leaving me with an almost perfect first jump.

After that one jump, I knew that I would succeed and carry on in my course. In result of that, I had a thorough course, stable with a few minor mishaps. But for my first time showing 3 ft., that was a big accomplishment. It was the best feeling, knowing I have worked so hard to get this done, and finally doing it for the first time and succeeding.

When I got off Mr. Fizz, the horse I rode, the joy racing through my body sent me into a dance of happiness. Not only that, I had accomplished one of the most important goals for my riding career. It is a big building block for my later years in riding and when I compete at higher levels, the fundamentals of showing in the 3’ will carry on.

For two years, I had been working my way up to showing at the 3’ level. When I finally got there, all the money, anticipation, and hard work could not compare to the happiness I felt. In retrospect, money was just one of the small variables in the equation of horseback riding. Six years of riding, five days a week, four courses a lesson, three hours at the barn, two hours a ride, and one goal later, I had made it. Money couldn’t have bought the feeling of joy I got when I rode out of the arena, a smile on my face, knowing that I had done it, that I had finally ridden the 3’.

This event opened up a new chapter in my riding career, with new goals, now a new trainer who can help me to those more prestigious goals, but all the while I keep the same sense of pride in myself. Every day is a new day and one lesson learned every day over the course of a year is 365 lessons learned. The main lesson, money may fuel your activities, your passions, and your hobbies, but it doesn’t fuel your emotions, you do.