Status: Active-ish

It Can't Be... Can It?

This Is How It Happened

“You should never have gone behind my back like that you asshole!” Aura yelled.

“I didn’t…. I just wanted… I…”

“You wanted what? Did you think I’d be happy? This should be my choice, Draco and you’ve taken it away from me!”

“I’m sorry…”

“Sorry isn’t good enough. Did you ever consider that maybe I don’t want to marry you?”

“But you were giving me a chance…”

“Not to marry me!”

Aura stormed out of the room thinking how wonderful the day had started and now it had become pure hell. She was to wed Draco Malfoy this summer and, according to Lucius, she was to like it. She slammed her bedroom door shut and flopped onto her bed. She couldn’t make the tears fall because as mad as she was at Draco, at least she wasn’t being forced to marry someone truly horrible.

Image

Aura had woken up this morning expecting a wonderful day. She had awoken in Draco’s arms. He had sat in the bathroom and simply talked to her while she showered. He had snuck down to the kitchen and brought her breakfast. They had spent the better part of the day walking the grounds. Aura had always been amazed by the Malfoy’s lavish gardens. There were stone paths that led through a beautiful maze with fountains at every turn. There was a small pond on the property that was surrounded by flowers and a beautiful fountain sat as the centerpiece. Draco had captured her hand, and he obviously had thought about kissing her. He had not done so until Aura had turned and faced him and gave him a gentle peck on the lips. They had dinner with Draco’s parents. That was when Lucius had dropped the bomb that had shattered Aura’s life.

“Aura, I have something to tell you,” Lucius had said in such a manner that Aura knew there would be no refusing him.

“Draco sent me an owl over the-”

“Father!” Draco interrupted, “I… uh…”

“Draco, do not interrupt me. As I was saying,” A panicked look had crossed Draco’s face,

“Draco sent me an owl over the semester saying that you and he were not on good terms. I can see that issue has been resolved, but to prevent further events, such as your affair with the Weasley boy, Draco’s request of an arranged marriage between the two of you shall be granted.”

Aura’s mouth dropped open in shock.

“Furthermore,” Lucius continued, “Before the end of the holidays, you will pick out your ring, and you will wear it during the semester. Understood?”

Lucius’s announcement allocated no argument, so Aura excused herself from the table. Lucius sent Draco after her. That’s when the yelling had started.

Image

Aura did not raise her head from the pillow when her door opened. She felt the bed sink beside her and felt a gentle hand on her back. The touch was distinctly feminine. She looked up into the eyes of Narcissa Malfoy.

“I’m deeply sorry, Aura. I tried to prevent this. I know your mother agrees with Lucius, but I… I don’t.”

“My mother agrees?”

Narcissa stumbled over her words, “Would… ummm… would have agreed. I’m- I’m sorry.”

She stood and left. Draco entered the room next. Aura had no desire to see him.

“Aura, let me explain. Please.”

She said nothing but sat up, leaving him room on the bed.

“Listen, it happened like this. I was mad that you wanted George over me. I didn’t know you guys would break up. I only wanted you to love me. Me, not him. When we got home I didn’t think it would be so easy to talk you into giving me a chance and I didn’t think Father would tell you so soon. I had hoped that by the end of the break that I could convince you to marry me on your own…”

“It doesn’t matter, Draco. You took away my freedom to choose. I’m not your slave. I’m not someone you can boss around. I’m a human too. You say you care for me, but you don’t act like it. Leave, Draco. I don’t want to be around you anymore.”

Draco sighed, but he got up and left. Aura resumed lying on her bed and thought about what Narcissa had said. Her mother agrees? Her mother was dead, wasn’t she?
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay!! New chapter!
Comments=love