Milestones: Teenagers

Chapter Seven

Image

"What are[\b] you doing?" Val asked as she came waltzing into my room later that night. I was rummaging through my closet to find a different top to wear before Greyson came to pick me up. No, I wasn't getting dolled up just for him; I spilled soda on the shirt I happened to be wearing.

"Finding a different shirt so I don't look like a slob for my date," I said as I found another shirt to wear. Val was sitting on my bed by that point and I stood up, pulling off my shirt and pulling the new one over my head.

"Oooh? Date with who, and why wasn't I told before about this?" she asked as she laid on her back, her head hanging off the end of the bed. "Now I get to stay home all alone and be bored. You ruined my night," she said, but she was smiling none the less.

"With Greyson Sullivan, and-" I said, but Val cut me off, laughing.

"Hahaha... good luck with that Michelle," she said.

"What?" I asked, exasperated.

"Dude, the kid is a total douche. Even Jimmy thinks so," she said, and rolled onto her stomach, her head resting in her hands.

A slow smile crept to my face. "...Brian says he's a skeeze," I chuckled.

"See! Even Brian has better taste in guys than you!" Val pointed out.

I heard the doorbell sound downstairs. "Well, that's Grey. I'll be back later," I said as I left Val behind in my room and went down to the front door. I opened the door and smiled when I saw Grey standing there.

"Hey, ready to go?" he asked. I nodded and we went down to his car parked on the side of the road.

"So, what do you wanna see?" he asked as we drove to the theatre.

"Uhm... I don't know actually," I said. "What did you have in mind?"

"Well, Dogma looks pretty good," Grey shrugged, pulling into the parking lot of the movie theatre.

"I saw previews for that. It looked awesome," I smiled and we headed inside. We got two tickets for the 8:30 viewing, and headed in.

Abot thirty minutes into the movie, Grey pulled the old stretch-and-place-arm-around movie. I only smirked, but didn't move his arm either way. A couple minutes after that, he started stroking my arm with the hand around my shoulders. Can't say I minded.

After the show, Greyson drove me back home, and even walked me to my door. It was only about 10:30, so I knew Val would be waiting up for me.

"So, I uh... had a really great time," Grey said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Me too, thanks for taking me," I smiled.

"Um... would you wanna... go out again sometime?" he asked, sounding nervous. He definitely didn't sound like the guy Brian and Val said he was.

"...Can we go bowling?" I smirked.

"Yeah, sure. So... how about Saturday?" he asked.

"Okay, we'll work something out," I replied. "Goodnight." I turned to go in, but felt his hand go around my arm, turning me back around. He leaned in and placed a feather-light kiss on my cheek, and then stood straight and let go of my arm. I was taken a bit off-guard because I thought he was daring to kiss me, which would have made him a total skeeze, but he didn't.

"Night," he smiled and then turned around, walking down to his car. I turned away again and opened the door, and just as I had predicted, Val was sitting on the couch watching TV. She looked up as I walked in.

"So? How was it? He totally tried to go down your pants, didn't he?" she asked.

"No. He was pretty gentlemanly to me. He put his arm around me during the short, which was kinda cheesy, but I didn't care, and we're going bowling on Saturday," I shrugged.

"I bet the loser tried to kiss you goodnight, tongue and all," Val laughed.

"Actually, I almost thought he was going to. But he kissed my cheek."

Her eyes widened. "That's a shocker."

I smiled. "Yeah, I was impressed."

"....Fag," Val shrugged.

"Anyways, I'm going to bed now. Night," I said, and went up to my room.

"So, how was the skeeze last night?" Brian asked the next day in physics.

"He's really not that bad," I smiled and tilted my head at him.

"Well... just wait. He'll be coming after you soon enough for some ass, and then he'll be in for a world of hurt when he does," Brian stated nonchalantly with a shrug.

"Why do you say that?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Cuz I'll beat the shit out of him if he tries to pull that crap on you," Brian smiled.

"You're so over-dramatic," I laughed, and shook my head. "You think I can't handle myself?" I asked.

"No, that's not it. I just don't want that kid fucking with my friends. Just... looking out for you, is all."

"Oh... well, I'll be fine. Promise. And we're going on another date Saturday," I said timidly, waiting for his reaction.

"Ew, why?" Brian asked, scruching up his nose.

"Because, Grey is a nice kid," I shrugged, looking down at the floor. "We're going bowling."

"Oh... you know what would be way cool?" Brian asked.

"If you never said 'way cool' ever again?" I answered, smirking.

"Oh funny. No. If... we double dated. Me and Rita. We could go with you guys," Brian smiled.

The teacher cleared his throat and we glanced at him. We stopped talking for a couple minutes and Mr. Schwartz continued to drone on, and I leaned closer to Brian and lowered my voice even farther than it had been.

"is this some ploy so you can watch Grey like a hawk? Cuz if it is, I'll say no," I replied quietly.

"Hey... I just like to bowl and Rita and I are supposed to do something Saturday. I just thought it'd be fun," Brian shrugged.

I didn't answer for a moment as I contemplated the idea in my head. Of course he was lying; I knew Brian would keep a watch on Grey even if I asked him not to. And who knows, maybe Grey really was what Val and Brian said he was. Maybe a group date would make things less tense and allow us to just have a good time without Grey thinking he could put his hands all over me. And I didn't get to see Rita all that often, so her presence would be nice.

"Okay, you guys can double with us. I'll just have to tell Greyson about it. We still don't know an actual time that we're going, so we'll have to work something out," I replied and Brian smiled and nodded.

Class ended and I headed upstairs to my locker. Conveniently enough, Grey's locker was just a little ways down the hall, next to Jimmy's. As I was putting things away, Grey walked up to me.

"Hey," he said, a smile on his face.

"Hi. Oh, I gotta tell you something about this Saturday. My friend Brian and his girlfriend Rita are gonna double with us. I hope that's okay," I paused.

Grey's expression faltered for a moment before he retained the smile again. "Sure, that'd be fine."

"Okay. Well, I gotta go find Matt for my ride home. I'll see you tomorrow?" I asked.

"Yeah... What time you wanna go bowling?" he asked as I shut my locker.

"Um... seven or eight-ish?"

"...Seven-thirty then?" he smiled.

"Okay. See you then," I smiled and he headed down to his locker as I found Matt.