Indian Summer Barbecue

1/1

Steegerlicious definition, make them girls go loco! They want my treasure so they get their pleasures from my photo!" Kris Versteeg sang, shaking his hips to the music blaring in his ears. One hand used the spatula to flip the burgers smoking out of the grill while the other combed through his non-existent hair. "You can see me, you can't squeeze me! I ain't easy, I ain't sleazy! I got reasons why I tease ’em, boys just come and go like seasons! Steegerlicious!"

It was utter silence as Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Jonathan Toews, Ben Eager, and Lyndsey Silver came through the sliding doors leading to my backyard. Ben's eyes twinkled through his glasses, obviously ready to say something. The only presence Kris acknowledged was mine, as he moved onto the hot dogs. I flickered a glance to Jonathan almost laughing at the incredulous look on the twenty-two year old’s face.

"I'm the S to the T E E G double E R, can't no other winger put it down like me!" He sang, looking up at my now-red face. He smiled, right before Adam Burish came out with two packs of beer clearing his throat. Hastily, Kris pulled his headphones out of his ear as the others smirked at him.

"There are..." Adam gaped. "No words." Kris blushed as the crew walked out onto the yard, with Ben no longer trying to conceal his laughter. Lyndsey bossily kicked Kris off the grill, leaving him at the mercy of his mocking teammates. The poor guys were onto his dance moves before I walked by smacking Brent upside his head.

"I don't care if you all won the Western Conference Championship." I glared, letting my hand rest on my hip while my finger poked his chest. "You be nice to each other in my backyard, or you won't get any food."

Kaner chuckled before sticking his hands into the chips, not seeing Lyndsey's disgusted look. "Yeah, Seabs, before Britt goes smack!" The chips flew out of his hand as he flailed his arm, some landing into my pool. "Oops."

"Good going Kaner," Adam laughed as the boys tittered, starting to break up in groups. "Cut us some slack," he smirked at me while lounging on one of my pool chairs, already with sunglasses on his mischievous face. "We won. We have to rest up for the Stanley Cup. Speaking of, Sharpie! Get me some food and a beer!"

"Get it yourself!" Patrick said, pulling me down beside him. I smiled after kissing his cheek softly.

Typical get together. The only relatively calm ones were Jonathan, Marian, Bryan, and Dustin who were talking at one of the tables, now playing poker. Colin was overseeing the game, and giving Jonathan pointers. The poor kid was grunting every other move asking questions. Colin tried his best to explain the rules to him, but his frustration mounted every time Dustin or Marian took the pot. I let myself get engrossed just in time to see poor Jon slam his cards down as he started to cuss the boys out.

Good to know that even after a trophy, the boys still bickered, drank, swore, and hung out with each other. I just didn't expect the usual couple, Ben and my friend Lyndsey to be bickering over the burning steaks. Usually, whatever Lyndsey said went as law, because my 5'6" friend could out-violence the 6'2" enforcer and proved so on their first date. The usually quiet man was now dramatically trying to protect the steaks from her, acting as a bodyguard on the grill.

"Well done!" She screamed over Tazer's curses, poking the steaks after shoving him out the way. "No one wants blood in their steaks! That's gross."

Ben shook his head taking the barbecue fork, waving it around. "I am a man. Grilling is second nature to me! We like it medium rare, for we -except Kaner- are men!"

P. Kane looked up from his burger angrily, but before he could say anything, Lynds grabbed the fork and shook it in Ben's face. Patrick chuckled in my ear, making me shiver. "Look here, Benjamin. We're letting them cook. If you don't, you can walk home and Lord knows that's a long walk so if you don't like it, do as I say, damn it!"

Dejected, he stood by the grill muttering unpleasantries. Kris mimicked a whip on his way to the cooler. Adam shook his head, "That's manly? She cut off your balls man!"

We all rolled our eyes. Adam was the worst one with Lynds. He picked up groceries, took her on errands, and made sure she always had M&Ms stocked somewhere. We knew not to push it by making a comment though. It was a good day, considering she only cursed once.

"Where the hell are they going?" Jon asked, picking up his beer.

"Sex." Patrick Kane grinned, finishing his soda. He was banned from alcohol months ago when half of my living room was destroyed in his last drunken stupor.

I snorted. "Yup. Right after he proposes."

It's funny seeing how men freeze hearing anything concerning marriage. Grinning, I stood up, making my way to the steaks, taking one and a bag of chips. I waited to hear the kitchen pans clatter to the ground before smirking at the guys.

"Well," Kris shrugged smiling. "They'll get to celebrate together."

"Lame," Adam smiled slowly, obviously coming up with a plan. "We get to plan a bachelor party."

The boys grinned evilly at each other, leaving me to groan. So much for a nice barbecue.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to my wonderful editor for helping me out. She couldn't stand the first draft.