Status: Completed.

Those Who Walk Beside Me

Thirty Three

Two Months Later...

I sighed heavily as I watched Kandy sleep peacefully. She had been sick the past few days and I was glad to see her sleeping better. I got up out of bed carefully not wanting to disturb her and grabbed my wrinkled t-shirt from the floor to put on while I woke up and had some coffee before jumping into the shower. I walked downstairs just in time to hear someone ring the doorbell. I cringed and ran to the door, hoping Kandy hadn't been woken up. I opened the front door and found Michelle and Brian standing there with smiles attached to their faces.

“Guys, it's like nine-thirty. Why are you here?” I asked as nicely as I could.

“I'm here to steal Kandy for the day, while Brian here keeps you company.” She said as she walked past me into the house.

“Uh, alright.” I nodded. “But she's asleep.”

“It's fine, I'll go get her up.” She grinned before darting up the stairs.

I turned to Brian with a confused expression. “What the hell was that?” I questioned him.

He shook his head and shrugged. “I have no fucking clue.”

“Well whatever.” I chuckled. We walked into the kitchen and I went straight to the coffee pot to put some coffee on. I knew Kandy would want some before going out.

“How have you two been lately?” Brian questioned as he leaned against the counter, folding his arms over his chest.

I turned to him as I ran a hand over my face. “Things have been better than I expected them to be, honestly.” I said with a small smile tugging at my lips. “Kandy and I are both pretty happy, and I'm hoping it lasts.”

Brian nodded, “That's good, man. I'm glad to hear that. I know it hasn't been easy for you guys, but it's nice to see that you two are doing better than you were a few months ago.”

“I know,” I sighed with a slight nod. “I think we're actually helping each other get past Jimmy's death, which is good. Things are finally getting back to normal.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. Chelle and I feel the exact same. It's been a tough few months.” Brian said, completely understanding how I felt.

I lowered my gaze to the floor for a moment before looking back up at him. “Lets just hope things stay this way for awhile. I don't think I can take anymore surprises.” I chuckled, shaking my head slightly.

A few minutes later Kandy and Michelle came walking downstairs. Kandy was showered and dressed, wearing a small smile on her lips. “Feeling any better, babe?” I asked, handing her a cup of coffee.

“A little,” She nodded before kissing my cheek. “Thanks for the coffee.”

I laughed slightly, wrapping my arm around her shoulder. “Don't worry about it.”

“So, what are you two devious girls up to today?” Brian questioned, his eyes slightly narrowed.

Michelle rolled her eyes and laughed at him. “We're just going shopping, Bri-Bri. No big deal.”

“Yeah,” He nodded, “Alright, Chelle.”

Michelle pouted at Brian, knowing damn well he didn't believe them. Something was going on, we just didn't know what.

I turned to Kandy and locked eyes with hers. “You want me to make you something to eat. I know you have to be hungry.” I said, sitting my cup of coffee on the counter beside us. “I can make you some eggs real quick.” I offered.

Kandy closed her eyes suddenly and took a deep breath, placing her cup off coffee down as well. I raised an eyebrow at her, curious as to what was wrong. After a minute she opened them and her eyes met mine. “I'm okay,” She assured me, noticing the concern in my eyes. “Don't worry.”

I sighed, knowing she was lying, but there was nothing I could really do about it. “Alright,” I gave in. “Why don't Brian and I meet up with you girls later this evening for some dinner somewhere?”

“That sounds like a great idea, Mattie.” Michelle grinned. “We'll meet you two around six at the pier, and then we'll go from there and decide where to eat. But for now, we need to get going.”

Kandy laughed and chewed on her lip slightly before turning back to me. “I'll see you later,” She said before leaning in and giving me a kiss.

“Alright,” I nodded, “Sounds like a plan. Be safe and have fun, okay?”

“Of course, Matthew.” She grinned. “Love you,”

“Love you too.” I told her before watching her and Michelle walk out of the kitchen to leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
There aren't enough words in the dictionary to express how sorry I am for not updating sooner. I have so many excuses, but none that are actually worth mentioning. I promise the next update will not take that long, and I truly am sorry for making you wait as long as you have.

<3