Story of a Girl

Story Of A Girl

This is the story of a girl who cried a river and drowned the whole world.
And while she looked so sad in photographs,
I absolutely love her when she smiles...


“Monique!” I yelled excitedly as I turned the corner and quickly took a picture of her.

“Matt...” she mumbled dully and I checked the picture I’d just taken. She had one tear dripping down her cheek, so I instantly forgot about the camera and joined my close friend’s side.

How many days in a year she woke up with hope but she only found tears?
And I can be so insincere, making her promises never for real...

“What’s up?” I asked as another tear fell down her other cheek. I put my arm around her for some comfort, but I doubt it helped. She’s always upset about something.

“Stupid boyfriend,” she said while curling up into a little ball on the seat. “Ex-boyfriend...”

“Oh okay...” I muttered, feeling her pain. She always let her boyfriends muck her up, and there was nothing I could do about it. “I’m sure you’ll find someone one day who’ll treat you right. And look at the bright side; I still love you.” I knew those words wouldn’t exactly cheer her up and make things better though. She wouldn’t take me. She’d just wait for another heartbreaker to come along and ruin her day.

As long as she stands there waiting, wearing the holes in the soles of her shoes.
How many days disappear when you look in the mirror so how do you choose?
Your clothes never wear as well the next day, and your hair never falls in quite the same way.
But you never seem to run out of things to say...


Later that day, she was standing outside our tour van, waiting for another guy to walk past and try to pick her up. She just needed to feel loved. But she had no clue that they could never give her the love that I felt for her. She thought she was getting old and uglier by the day, so wanted to use her disappearing youth to the max before she lost it forever. I thought it was wrong. How could she not see what I see when she looks in the mirror?

I looked at her short skirt that she had on yesterday. It looked better yesterday on her, when she was happy. Well, sort of happy... Even her Avenged Sevenfold shirt didn’t suit her anymore. Her hair seemed all ragged now. I wanted to go and brush it until it turned silky and neat again. She suited her hair better like that.

A young male approached her and tried to chat her up. She continued to have a sad vibe coming off her, but she actually had a conversation with him. She always seemed to know what to talk about, despite being constantly depressed.


This is the story of a girl who cried a river and drowned the whole world.
And while she looked so sad in photographs,
I absolutely love her when she smiles...


An hour later, Monique met up with me again. She had said that she needed to talk to me, but I knew that meant that she needed a shoulder to cry on. Sure enough, as soon as we met, she collapsed into my arms to cry.

She had had such a shit upbringing, so you couldn’t blame her for always being upset. Nearly everything reminded her of her past. She had shown me some pictures from her youth. For her to trust me with that was such an honour, but the looks on her face were so heartbreaking. How could any girl so young and innocent be living in such a harsh world? It wasn’t right.

I saw only one picture of her smiling. She was with her mother, before she passed away. I rarely see that smile now, but I do truly love it.
How many lovers would stay just to put up with this shit day after day?
How did we wind up this way?
Watching our mouths for the words that we say...

She’d never had any true lovers, when I think about it. I wanted to be her real lover, but she never seemed to want it, so I kept my mouth shut.

I can’t even think back to when I started to feel that way about her. I guess it’s just been like that forever. I really do have to watch my words though. Only Jimmy knows about how I feel, and even though he’s close with Monique too, I know he’d never tell her.


As long as we stand here waiting wearing the clothes of the souls that we choose.
How do we get there today?
When we're walking too far for the price of our shoes.

Your clothes never wear as well the next day, and your hair never falls in quite the same way.
But you never seem to run out of things to say...


The next day, we both got nasty comment yelled at us from passer by’s, just because we were dressed up in what we always wear. I saw more and more pain in Monique’s eyes as she stood quietly, taking it all in. People were always so mean to her. She could only fit in with me and my band, so I had no choice but to take her on tour with us. If it meant keeping her alive, it was worth it.

I remember once telling her that she’d never fall in love if she didn’t fall at all. She replied with the fact that she’s been falling her whole life. I didn’t have a comeback for that one. She’s smarter than she looks, and wiser than she should be for her age.

I stared at her mangled hair which seemed to fall slightly different over her shoulders than yesterday and, once again, the same clothes as the day before. I still thought she was beautiful, though she’d never let me tell her.



This is the story of a girl who cried a river and drowned the whole world.
And while she looked so sad in photographs,
I absolutely love her when she smiles...


Later that night, she was crying again. The harsh words of strangers had finally taken their toll on her.

“I swear you’re going to drown the whole world with your tears, Monique,” I told her while she cried into my chest. I was getting used to having a wet shirt. If I could take a photo of her every day, I betcha she would be crying in each and every one of them. Never smiling. Boy, I wish I could see that smile of hers...

Your clothes never wear as well the next day, and your hair never falls in quite the same way.
But you never seem to run out of things to say...
This is the story of a girl who cried a river and drowned the whole world.
And while she looks so sad in photographs, I absolutely love her-
This is the story of a girl; her pretty face she hid from the world.
And while she looks so sad and lonely there, I absolutely love her when she smiles...


“I swear the whole freakin’ world deserves to drown,” she growled into my chest between sniffs. She was holding me so tight, but I wanted her to never let go. She wouldn’t let me see her face, and it was killing me. She was so beautiful in my eyes. “With the exception of you, of course. You’re the best, Matt.” That made me wear a smile that was so huge it’s ridiculous.

“You need to stop being so sad and lonely,” I told her and she lifted her head slightly, here piercing eyes glaring at me. My smile had completely gone by then though.

“I can’t help it... No one can help me to stop,” she scarcely said and I ran my hand through her knotty hair while wishing I could get a glimpse of her smile again.


This is the story of a girl who cried a river and drowned the whole world.
And while she looks so sad in photographs, I absolutely love her when she smiles...

I’d loved her for so long, and now I needed more from her. I needed her to love me back too, just not as ‘just friends’. I could truly make her happy, make her smile, but she didn’t see that. She needed to stop drowning the whole world!

“I can make you happy,” I whispered while looking deep into her amazing eyes.

“How?” she questioned, eager to know how to stop her tears. Of course I fell quiet, thinking it would be mean to take advantage of her weak position. She looked away. She was too vulnerable at the moment. But wasn’t this the perfect opportunity I’d been waiting for? I had to tell her sooner or later how I felt. I couldn’t keep it bottled up inside forever.

“Monique...” I stuttered, getting a sudden wave of nerves.

“What?” she asked, glancing up at me. I wiped away a fresh tear.

“I love your smile...” I managed to say. “Let me be the one to make you smile?” She hesitated, taking in what I’d just said.

“Are you... Are you asking me out?” she asked cautiously.

“I think so,” I replied with a smile.

“Matt...” she said sadly and I prepared myself for the rejection.



When she smiles...

“I’d love to,” she said.

Then she smiled.

And my heart burst with joy..
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback please? :)