Status: procrastinating on my studing by messing with the settings

Bait

Line

My stomach was already growling by the time I got out of the office complex. Honestly, it was more restless than a caged tiger. Fortunately for me, my favorite restaurant was just around the corner.

I stopped under one of those tent things that protruded unto the street and covered rusty bars and bird’s nests. The sign in the window said “Roodie’s” in English and katakana.

I absolutely love Japanese food. I guess that sometimes I go through “trends” in the type of food I eat. “Trends” is a kind way to say “obsession.” It’s getting to be pathetic. But even if I wasn’t at the moment obsessed, I would still love this place. Roodie’s was the best in town.

“Doc-tar Scar! Doc-tar Scar!” an elderly woman with an adorable Japanese accent greeted me enthusiastically as I walked into the Japanese restaurant. It always felt so homey at Roodie’s. The shop itself might not have looked like much, but half a dozen Roodie’s were bustling tables, taking orders, and keeping this place alive.

“So, are you hosting another dinner party Doc-tar Scar?” Grandma Roody asked me eagerly. Grandma Roody had the prying of a vulture with the benefit of being good-natured. She was always prying into people’s affairs, at least mine, but for the sole purpose of generosity. It really was her way of helping, but she couldn’t give advice if she didn’t know what was going on.

Apparently I thought very highly of Grandma Roody.

Shit.

“Erm…Yes…” I lied with all the grace of a lame slug. I hadn’t actually had a dinner party the last time either, but I guess I did over order a bit. “I’m having erm… some high school friends and their spouses over.” I hated lying. My entire life was a lie.

Not that I actually had any high school friends, I had been homeschooled. But I had to distance myself from her as completely as possible, and lies were the easiest way. I had gotten too close to her. Who knew, just a random old lady.

And her death would be my fault. Just because I had been too set on my food to notice. The menu was three paneled and covered with green paper. It was going to have to be a while until I returned to this place.

“It’s getting to be around the time you settled down then, eh?” she used the most suggestive voice possible, which would have pissed me off it wasn’t accompanied by her adorable Japanese accent.

It was something family would say to each other. I didn’t deserve it. Especially when it was going to get her deader than a freakin’ door handle.

Apparently I had started to shake, because she came around the counter and embraced me. “It is okay Doctar,” she soothed mistaking the reason for my meltdown, “I am here for you.” She preceded to murmur something in Japanese and hold her stubby arms around my torso.

I was frozen in horror. This couldn’t be happening. Not again.

I looked down at her and ordered nine things off the menu. It was the only thing I could think of to do to get her off of me.

The food came out quickly and a paid a huge tip on the bill. If I was never going to come back, I might as well give a little.

I was out of the tinny restaurant faster than a vampire, and down the street in a heartbeat.

Why did this always have to happen to me? All I could think of was that first vampire. The one who had killed my family. His soulless eyes boring into mine. I was hyperventilating now. People were looking at me.

A cabbie pulled over the second I raised my arm out. I got in and gave him the address, paying beforehand; I wasn’t sure what type of shape I’d be in by the time I got home.

There was a giant ‘boom’ noise like lightning had struck. The force shook the cab, and I got out before the cab started moving at all.

I didn’t even think about it, just ran down the street to Roodie’s. the place was ablaze. Flames licked up the brick walls and blew out the windows of the tiny shop. The apartment complex above it creaked menacingly as if it were about to fall in. smoke blew into my face keeping my body away from the interior. I couldn’t get in.

The ambulance and fire squad arrived then. They brought me out of the way of the fire, and I let them. I would only be a hindrance to them if I kept at it.

All I could do was wait.

I don’t know how long it actually took, but it felt like it could have been days. It was the worst feeling, being so powerless like this. Not knowing what was happening. They started bringing people out, one by one. Each time I wished it to be Grandma Roody. Each time it was someone else.

Finally the medical team went inside. They came out with three people on gurneys. One of them already had their face covered.

I didn’t need to look to see that it was Grandma Roody.

I got off of the ledge I was sitting on and walked off of the site.

“Hey you! You can’t leave without a medical exam!” one of the firemen was growling at me.

“Watch me” I told him.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah so i have exams this week, so its going to be a few days until i post next. its also why i havent been writting.
well....except...this is embarassing. i rewrote this chapter four times. yep. pathetic.
anyway...suggestions? critizisum always good and i need to figure out what will happen next.
also am running out of fishing terms.
well i love you all anyway, even if nobody is going to read this