Status: This Story is Complete

I Fell For You

Scotty and Raine

I sat in the hotel room, flipping through the channels on the television. It was now my night to wait for Raine to get home. She and Scotty went out to party hours ago while I took Shaun to the airport.
I thought about how happy Raine looked when she was talking to him. It was like an immediate connection with those two. Like, as soon as they saw each other, there was something there and they knew it.
I hadn’t seen Raine that happy since her last relationship which was a good three or so years ago.
Finally, the door swung open and Raine walked in, smiles and all. She closed the door and took her coat off, slowly walking over to the couch and plopping down next to me.
“Hello.” She said looking at me. I couldn’t help but to laugh at her.
“Hi.” I said between chuckles.
“Have a good time?” I ask. She nodded her head ferociously.
“I had a INCREDIBLE time! Scotty is so much fun. And funny. He’s fun funny!” She said, smiling as she said it. I continued to laugh at her.
“That’s-that’s nice.” I said. She nodded her head.
“It is nice, isn’t it?” She asked. I said yes then turned off the TV, standing up.
“Well, now that you’re home, it’s time for bed.” I said helping her up.
“How can I sleep when I’m this happy, Teena?” Raine asked, whining at me. I dragged her to her room and shoved her towards her bed.
“Somebody’s love drunk.” I said, helping her get her shoes off. She laughed.
“No, silly. I’m not love drunk.” She said. I smirked at her.
“Uh-huh, sure you aren’t. Silly.” I said laughing again at her. She laid in the bed, pulling the covers over her and closing her eyes.
“Teena, I wish you were this happy.” She whispered. I set her shoes down and turned around to look at her. She was starting to drift off to sleep already.
“What do you mean? I am happy.” I said. She barley shook her head before readjusting in the bed.
“No, no you’re not.” She said softly. I walked over towards her bed and knelt down so that I was eye level with her.
“Raine, I’m very happy. What would make you think otherwise?” I asked. At first she didn’t say anything. It wasn’t until I was almost to the door that she finally spoke.
“You’re only really happy when you’re with Shaun.” She said so soft that, had it not been completely silent in the room, I probably wouldn’t have heard it.
“What?” I asked, turning around to look at her. It was too late, she was asleep already. I turned off her light and shut her door before going to my own room. I sat down on my bed and thought about what Raine had said.
‘You’re only really happy when you’re with Shaun.’ What was that supposed to mean? That Shaun made me happy. Well, why wouldn’t he? I mean, he is, after all, my former best friend and starting to re-take that title again. For some reason, it had bothered me that she said that. Maybe it was the way she said it, or how she implied it. Either way, it drove me crazy and I was hoping that in the morning, she’d still remember saying it.
The next morning, Raine and I woke to Raine’s parents talking to some other voice in the living room. She walked out of the room, her hair a disaster, as she rubbed her eyes.
“Hey alcoholic!” I said. She pushed me and gave me a somewhat dirty look.
“Shut-up, Teena.” She said, still half-asleep. She was about to go into the living room when I stopped her.
“You um might want to fix your hair before you go out there.” I said. She ran her hands through her hair and put it up into a pony tail. Once finished, we both walked into the living room to see Raine’s parents sitting on the couch with Scotty sitting on the chair near them.
“Well there they are.” Mr. Carter said. Scotty looked up to see Raine and I dragging ourselves into the middle of the room, Raine more of a zombie than myself.
“Good morning, sleeping beauties!” Mrs. Carter said.
“Beauties?” Scotty asked sarcastically. Raine picked up a nearby couch pillow and threw it at him, making me laugh.
“We’ll just leave the three of you to talk. David and I will be leaving. We’re meeting some old friends of ours for brunch then going to little get together at their house. Be back later this evening. You girls have fun.” Mrs. Carter said as she grabbed her purse. The couple walked out of the room and I looked at the boys.
“So, what’s up?” I asked as I moved to the to sit in front of him.
“I just need to talk to you. I uh, I have to go home today.” Scotty said. Raine and I both looked at him confused.
“Why?” Raine asked. He smiled, and looked slightly embarrassed.
“Well, you know how we went out partying last night and I took my medal with me and wore my Team USA shirt? Apparently, when Jake had dared that girl to kiss my medal, someone took a picture of us doing that and it showed up on TMZ this morning. I had to talk with the Officials and I apologized but they’re giving me this huge lecture about it so I have to go home.” He said. Raine looked, well, sad when Scotty said this.
“What?! That is stupid! I mean it’s not like you were burning your medal or anything. This chick just kissed your medal. That’s not racy at all! It’d be differently if you had asked her to break it or something.” I said
“I know. But now the Officials believe that these photographs are racy and that I’m not representing my country in a good way, so ‘we’ all decided that it‘s best if I just go home.” He said.
“That’s so lame.” I said. Scotty nodded his head.
“I just wanted to talk to you before I left.” Scotty said, looking directly at Raine. I stood up and smiled.
“I’ll just, um, go to my room then.” I said walking to my room. Of course I didn’t actually go to my room, but I did hide in the hallway and listened in on what Scotty and Raine were talking about.
“I had a really fun time last night with you, Raine.” Scotty said.
“Me too. It was the best time I’ve had in a long time.” Raine said. Scotty said something else, but I couldn’t hear him. I crouched down and hid behind a chair right by the hallway, trying to get a better listen.
“I know you live in Toronto, but I was wondering if maybe, sometime, we could go out. Just the two of us.” Scotty said. If they had known I was in the room, I would have squealed. Instead, I kept it all inside and just smiled.
“I’d love to, I would, but like you said, I live in Toronto. You live in New Hampshire. How would that work?” Raine asked. My smiled dropped. What was she doing?
“Right. I guess that would be…difficult.” Scotty said. There was a long pause before Raine finally spoke.
“If you’d like, we could do something today before you leave.” She said. There was sounds of movements as one of them stood up.
“Can’t. I have to go home now.” Scotty said, he was the one to stood up. The door opened and I could hear Raine get up and move towards the door.
“I’ll uh, I’ll see you around, Raine.” Scotty said. I waited to hear the door shut before popping up from behind the chair.
“What the hell was that?” I asked, scaring Raine as she spun around, surprised to see me.
“You were listening?” She asked. I looked at her like she was dumb.
“Like I wouldn’t listen? What the crap, Raine? He just asked you out and you said no?” I asked. Raine started walking towards her room.
“It’s not going to work out so why even try.” She said as she pushed past me to get to her room. She was about to shut the door but I put my hand up, blocking her from closing it completely. I walked in as she started rummaging through her drawer.
“And this is coming from the girl who locked me in a room with a guy, who’s basically a stranger to me at this point, until I was ‘best friends’ with him again? Raine, you were the one who told me that even though we live in two completely different places, we could still make it work.” I said. She pulled out some clothes from her drawer and turned to look at me.
“I was talking about friendship, Teena. I meant that two friends can live in two different countries and still find a way to stay friends. I wasn’t talking about dating the guy. How is it possible to live in two different countries and date someone?” She asked.
“Raine, you’re the one that’s always talked about leaving Toronto. You’ve talked about it since before I even knew you! Why not move to New Hampshire?” I asked. She rolled her eyes and walked towards the bathroom.
“It’s not as easy as just moving somewhere.” She said as she pushed past me to get to the restroom. I was baffled. Why was she acting like this? She never acted like this.
“Why not? I mean if you live in the same city, it‘ll be easy to go out with him. What‘s your excuse then, huh?” I asked. She was now in the bathroom, the door in her hand, as she turned to look at me.
“You‘re the one that‘s got this amazing relationship with a guy and won‘t do anything about it, hypocrite.” She said, slamming the door in my face as she finished her sentence. I was pissed. I was beyond pissed. I was irate!
I stood by the door, shocked at what had just happened. Who was she to call me a hypocrite? I’m not the one who turned down an amazing guy just because we live in different places. Like she had said earlier, Shaun and I were just friends. That’s all she was talking about, just friends. Wasn’t she?
I was now passed irate and was confused as I made my way to the living room. I sat down on the couch, trying to process what had just happened in my head. What did she mean that I won’t do anything about it? What is there to do? Shaun and I are friends again, isn’t that enough?
Maybe it was enough for me, but maybe, maybe it wasn’t enough for someone else.