Status: This Story is Complete

I Fell For You

Oprah

Raine and I didn’t talk for the rest of the day. She went over to Jake’s house, eventually deciding to sleep over there for the night. I stayed in the hotel room, texting some friends and waiting for Oprah’s interview with Shaun to come on.
I felt bad for what had happened with Raine and I. I should have just let it go. She had her reasons why she didn’t want to date Scotty, and most of them were pretty good reasons. Who was I to judge her? Then again, who was she to judge me? When she called my a hypocrite, I was pissed. She had never called me anything like that ever. And, just like I had thought that I should leave her alone, she should have left me alone. Why would she say that I won’t do anything with my ‘amazing’ (quote, un-quote) relationship with Shaun. She didn’t say his name, but we both knew who she was talking about.
After thinking back and forth for an entire day on what had happened between the two of us, Shaun’s interview had finally come on.
“Everybody, Mr. Shaun White!” Oprah shouted in her normal, annoying voice. Shaun came walking in, slapping the hands of everyone who held theirs out at him. His smile was vivid as he walked in. He hugged Oprah and sat in the chair next to hers.
“Shaun flew all the way over here after getting his medal just last night.” Oprah said, the crowd cheered.
Shaun couldn’t help but to keep smiling. He showed her the medal, holding it in his hands as he walked in. They talked about his Double McTwist and showed footage of him falling and scraping his cheek from trying to perform the trick at the Winter X-Games. Then Oprah asked him about his love-life, something I hadn’t expected her to bring up during the interview. I sat closely as I listened.
“Is there a girlfriend in your life right now?” Oprah asked. Shaun looked up at her.
“No, you know, I dated this girl for like four years and I actually called her between the qualifying and the finals just to talk to her but it gets hard. You know, I would, and this was a long time ago, I would come home after being on the road for months at a time and be like ‘Hey, I’m back! Do you still like me?’ It’s just, it’s hard.” Shaun said. I felt my heart drop. What girl was he talking about? Who did he call between the qualifying and final rounds?
They then talked about the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi and whether or not Shaun would be there.
“I’ve thought about the 2014 Olympics, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t it. I mean I’ve won gold medals in two back to back Olympics and it’s an awesome feeling. Why wouldn’t I want to experience that again?” He said, Oprah smiled and the crowd cheered.
He finished the interview and I immediately turned off the TV. Who did he date for four years? Four years is-it’s a long time! And, depending on when he they were dating, he would have been dating her when we were still somewhat talking to each other and he never mentioned having a girlfriend to me.
After a while of sitting in the living room, I heard my phone ring. Without even looking to see who was calling me, I answered.
“Hello?” I asked picking up the phone.
“Hey Teena. It’s Shaun. Did you see my interview yet?” He asked. I looked at the number, realizing it was one I hadn’t had in my phone.
“Yeah, I just finished watching it.” I said, pacing around the living room. I always did that when I talked on the phone.
“Wasn’t it awesome?” He asked. I nodded my head then realized he couldn’t see me.
“Yeah, yeah it was.” I said unenthusiastically.
“She was real nice. And man, you should have heard those girls in that stadium. They were screaming before I even came on.” He said, chuckling at the end. I lightly smiled, not even smiled; more, lifted the corners of my mouth just over a straight line.
“Fascinating.” I said. There was a pause.
“Are you ok?” He asked, finally catching on with my irritation. Why was I irritated though? He hadn’t done anything wrong. I thought about it before answering.
“Oh yeah, I’m fine.” I said using no tone whatsoever.
“You don’t sound fine. You sound mad.” Shaun said. I sighed then thought about Raine, using her as a good excuse.
“Well Raine and I just kind of got into this argument earlier, but I’ll get over it.” I said.
“An argument? About what?” He asked. Why was he being so nosey?
“Oh nothing, just girl stuff.” I said.
“Are you still fighting?” He asked. I rolled my eyes, getting annoyed with this conversation already.
“Yeah kind of.” I said.
“Are you going to be alright?” He asked, sounding worried. I heard some people trying to talk to him and found this as a way to escape the conversation.
“Yeah, I’ll be fine. Listen, you sound real busy, I’ll let you go.” I said.
“Alright, yeah I’ll see you tomorrow?” He asked. I sighed. I had forgotten he was coming back up here.
“Yeah, for sure.” I said, realizing that would be my chance to talk to him about this girl.
“Alright. Bye Teena.” Shaun said.
“Bye Shaun.” I said, hanging up the phone. I tossed it onto my bed as I walked into my room and laid down next to it. I shouldn’t have felt anything when I found out Shaun had dated a girl for four years. I mean, he had every right to date whoever he so pleased to date. I’m sure he dated plenty of girls. Maybe it was the fact that he dated this one particular girl for four years, four long years.
I fell fast asleep, thinking about Shaun and this ‘girl.’ When I woke-up, I had decided to call Raine and try to talk to her before going to the airport. I called her once, her phone going straight to voicemail. I hung up and tried again, this time hearing it ring.
“Hello?” The familiar voice said from the other end of the line. Immediately, I smiled.
“Raine. It’s Teena.” I said.
“What do you want, Teena?” She asked. She was still pissed, and had good reasons to be.
“I wanted to apologize, Raine. I shouldn’t have said anything. What happens between you and Scotty is your business, not mine. I was wrong.” I said. There was a long pause then a sigh of relief.
“I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have called you a hypocrite. You’re not a hypocrite, I was just mad. I didn’t mean it.” She said. I smiled, very happy to have mended things with my best friend again.
“So, friends again?” I asked. She chuckled from the other end of the line which eventually made me laugh too.
“Best friends.” She said. I smiled and nodded my head.
“Good cause I have got to talk to you.” I said.
“About what?” She asked. I explained to her Shaun’s interview with Oprah and the bit about the girl he dated for four years.
“I don’t know why it’s bothering me, but it is and I want to ask him about it but, should I? Is it the right thing to do?” I asked.
“If it’s really bothering you that badly, you should talk to him about it.” Raine said. I smiled, happy to know I wasn’t the only one who thought that I should talk to him.
I thanked Raine and hung up, hurrying over to the airport. I didn‘t want to be late when Shaun landed. After an hour and a half of waiting by the baggage claim, I heard my name.
“Teena!” He said, spotting me first before I spotted him. I stood up and hugged him.
“Hey Shaun.” I said softly. He grabbed his bags and we headed out to get a cab.
“So, how’d it go?” I asked. He nodded his head and smiled at me.
“It was real fun. You did watch it right?” He asked again.
“Yeah, we talked about it on the phone?” I said, refreshing his memory.
“Oh that’s right.” He said. I couldn’t handle it any long, I finally just burst out.
“Who did you date for four years?” I asked. He looked at me, confused.
“What?” He asked.
“On Oprah, you said you dated a girl for four years and that you actually talked to her between the qualifying round and the finals.” I said. He turned and looked out the window next to him.
“Her name was Summer. I met her through a mutual friend of ours.” He said, his voice a lot softer and filled with a different emotion.
“Who broke-up with who?” I asked. He looked at me.
“I broke-up with her.” He said.
“Why?” I asked. Now it was my turn to be the nosey one.
“It was getting too hard. We never saw each other, I was always on the road and there wasn’t really time to actually date.” He said, his eyes not as shiny as they were when we got into the cab.
“Oh.” I said. There was a long pause. The other cars on the road were the only sound that either of us heard. Finally, he spoke up.
“Why do you ask?” He asked. I turned to meet his eyes watching me.
“Oh no reason, I just. You talked about her on Oprah and I just wondered why I had never known about it, being your ‘best friend’ and all.” I said.
“I um, I didn’t want to mention her to you.” He said, looking down at his hands.
“Why not?” I asked. He shrugged his shoulders.
“I don’t know. I mean, I tried to say something but it seemed like every time I was going to tell you, I had this feeling that stopped me.” He said.
“Why?” I asked. He looked at me.
“Teena, I don’t know. I just did.” He said, not knowing how to explain it. I decided to just drop it there. I looked out my window and watched the cars we passed. There was something about this girl that made Shaun act a weird way when he talked about her. He looked almost hurt, almost like he didn’t want to end the relationship. Like he had wished that they were still dating today and, for some reason, that bothered me. I knew it shouldn’t, or at least I had thought it shouldn’t. But it did.