Do Opposites Really Attract?

The grand tour

Zeke's POV

I stood there, like a lemon for what felt like a lifetime. Wow. I took in what stood before me. Ok, calm. I pinched myself, just to check I wasn't dreaming. The spectacle before me had long, red hair tumbling down her elegant back. The eyes, emerald in the sunlight, engulfed me as I gazed into them. I could not believe my eyes.
“When does the grand tour start then?” A delicate voice peeped out. It was a beautiful voice, melodic. Quite unlike anything I have ever heard. I just stood there, beside myself. Still as a stone cold statue.
“Well? Answer my sister won't you.” A strange, unfamiliar voice offered. This one was far more harsh and unfriendly – much like my brother. I thought privately to myself.
“Um, right away, if you like.”
“Sure. That would be great.”
“Fantastic. If you'd like to follow me then?”
And I gently meandered forwards.

Hope's POV

He led us first into a wide, open reception room, where a squat, elderly lady sat typing at her desk. Without looking up, she handed across a couple of sheets of paper to the Zeke person, which he received gratefully, and handed to Faith and I. Gazing down, I saw that they were our timetables. Let the fun begin.
He then led us through a set of double swing doors, hanging precariously from their hinges, into a wide open room, with lifeless white walls.
“This is the year 11 common room.” he announced, unexpectedly. As he spoke, I saw a light turn on in Faith's head, but thought nothing of it.
“What about year 10?” I enquired.
“Oh, you have to make do without a common room.”
“Oh, OK.”
I disliked this place more and more every second.

Faith's POV

I listened intently to every word he spoke. Wow. His voice was soft, and gentle like a warm summer breeze. I felt my heart rate increase even more as he gradually led us through to the Languages area. My favourite place. I walked past the rows of bookshelves, and I immediately felt at home. I gently ran my fingers across spine upon spine of ancient novel, revelling in their dusky, ancient smell. It was heavenly.
“What do you think you are doing?”
At first I thought i'd misheard, but I turned to see him looking at me, with an angry sort of expression on his face.
“Um” I couldn't continue. The words were stuck in my throat.
“We don't do that sort of thing here at Reade.”
I could hear the remnants of Hope's snigger leave her breathless mouth.
“OK. I'm sorry.”
“That's OK. Just be more careful in future. Books are disgusting. Here at Reade, we despise their very existence, and the existence of anyone who enjoys them.”
I tried to hide my utter disappointment.
For the rest of the tour, I kept low. Thinking about my latest novel, snug in the arms of Rose, back home. Where I belong.
As we finally rounded the corner to reception, I was elated. Leaving, I ran all the way home, not breathing until I got there. I ran straight through the doors, past Dad, and up the stairs to my new bedroom. I Sprinted to my bed, pulling my memory's box from underneath. I pulled out my one remaining picture of me and Mum.

Why has this happened to me? Tears sprint down my face, until my eyes sting, and there are no more left to cry, when I bury my head deep into my pillow. I sleep in a pool of my own tears, dreading the days ahead. Thinking of what could have been, of Rose, of Cumbria, a final tear rolls down my cheek, and I slowly drift off to sleep.

Hope's POV

Looking back over today, I have finally realised. He bores me, beyond belief. But Faith terrifies me. I don't know my sister any more. I'm scared to look into her eyes. But it was the look in those deep emerald pools, the first time he spoke that makes me most petrified. I don't know what's coming next, and nor do I know Faith.